Windows 10: Windows 10 can't update because of alleged vestigial software

Discus and support Windows 10 can't update because of alleged vestigial software in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; At least once a day Windows 10 tells me it's failed to update because the update is incompatible with TrendMicro Antivirus 2009. I suppose it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pdel, Dec 19, 2017.

1. pdel Win User

Windows 10 can't update because of alleged vestigial software

At least once a day Windows 10 tells me it's failed to update because the update is incompatible with TrendMicro Antivirus 2009. I suppose it's possible that some traces of that software have survived through nine years and several computers, but I sure don't know where to find them, or how to find them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:)

2. Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 19, 2017
  3. Alleged Spying for Pirated Software

I have read several articles alleging Microsoft will examine my computer and remove "pirated" software. Is this true? I have several very old games that I bought and own. How will you determine what is "pirated" or not? It creeps me out that you are spying
    on me. What say you?

DavidPoland, Dec 19, 2017
  4. Windows 10 can't update because of alleged vestigial software

Hi pdel. Welcome to the TenForums @pdel

I searched Removal tool trend micro. A site esupport.trendmicro.com comes up as having a removal tool however they seem to be doing maintenance. I was unable to verify that they are turely part of trendmicro.

In any event you can try them later and determine suitablity for your needs. With all downloads please scan fully before executing.

Another avenue you could try is Revo Uninstaller.

I had a similar situation with 1709 discovering a very old version of Symantec endpoint. For me, in this case, it was easier to clean install.

I would recommend a tool like macrium reflect to create a backup. Should something go wrong you have a restoration alternative.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 19, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Dec 19, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    I would guess it's found traces in the registry.

Should you end up needing to search the registry, a free registry editor that searches the whole registry and lists results is a huge timesaver - Regedit stops after each item found.

Try OO regedit - which I use.
    OO RegEditor

Back up before starting.

If you want to check for folders and files, try one of these indexing fast search tools- once you've used one, you will wonder how you managed without:
    Everything by void tools (popular, but I find uses a bit more CPU time)
    Ultrasearch
    Locate32 (which I prefer) - not maintained, but works perfectly.

Results are find-as-you-type; regular expressions supported; support for searching found text files varies.

dalchina, Dec 22, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    One more option that sometimes may work is to install the problematic software and then perform an uninstall.

We recommend not using Ccleaner for registry cleaning. However this may be the exception. As long as you make a backup image with Macrium you could try using Ccleaner registry cleaning.

zbook, Dec 25, 2017
  8. Windows 10 can't update because of alleged vestigial software

and one last option although certainly not desirable, clean install Windows 7 and then do the upgrade. You may even get away with clean install to 10 using 7 product key.

Caledon Ken, Dec 26, 2017
  9. Ztruker Win User
    I would go the Clean Install Win 10 using the Win 7 key route. You can always go back and do Win 7 install then upgrade if necessary but it should not be needed.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 can't update because of alleged vestigial software

1. Windows 10 can't update because of alleged vestigial software - Similar Threads - can't update alleged

2. Can't update Windows 10 because of Realtek Bluetooth drivers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't update Windows 10 because of Realtek Bluetooth drivers: I am trying to update an inspiron 3656. Update keeps saying I have a problem with the Realtek Bluetooth drivers. I have tried to update the driver, but Device manager tells me I have the best driver. I am stuck in an endless circle....
  3. Can't update AMD Software

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Can't update AMD Software: When I try to upgrade the software for my AMD Radeon R5 Graphics Card to the newest version 21.1.1 and doing a factory reset to install the software, I click on the installer, select the version of software I want to install (20.11.2 - downgrade or 21.1.1 - upgrade),checks...
  4. Windows 10 can't update because the Update Service is disabled...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 can't update because the Update Service is disabled...: [ATTACH] So uhmm guys can anyone help? I don't know why but my Windows Update Service is DISABLING itself. I tried changing it back to "Automatic" from services but when I right click and tap refresh, BOOM again DISABLED. All of the service options are greyed out but I...
  5. Can't update any software

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't update any software: Windows updated a few days ago. Ever since, I have been unable to install or update any software. Software I've tried to install/udpate: - Ultimaker Cura - Davinci Resolve - World of Warcraft - Chitubox All give a similar error that they can't write to the hard disk without...
  6. Microsoft ditches Windows 10 update that allegedly killed performance

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft ditches Windows 10 update that allegedly killed performance: Earlier this year, Microsoft started rolling out forced Windows Update tiled “KB4559309” and it alleged killed system performance for many users. This update was reportedly pushed out to a wide range of devices to replace the old Edge browser with the new Chromium-based one....
  7. Can't update windows 10 because the windows update settings keep closing

Can't update windows 10 because the windows update settings keep closing: Can't update windows 10 because the windows update settings keep closing. Any advice appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-update-windows-10-because-the-windows-update/db58310e-da23-47ef-a940-a94621089263
  8. Can't update because updates are pending

Can't update because updates are pending: Caught in a Trap and I Can't Back Out Why can't you see What you're doing to me When you don't believe a word I say? We can't go on together With suspicious minds And we can't build our dreams On suspicious minds Windows 10 Update Assistant - fails diasgnostics 'fixes'...
  9. Can't update windows because of organisation.

Can't update windows because of organisation.: I can't update windows because my organization doesn't let me, this is a private computer and I don't have an organization. Can I remove the organisation and activate windows in some other way?...
  10. Can't update display drivers because of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't update display drivers because of Windows 10: So I just finished installing windows 10 and I'm having this issue where my display driver isn't being recognized and instead its now showing "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". Is there any way to bring back the old driver to its original resolution? I have a Dell Inspiron...