Windows 10: Windows 10 capping download speeds across all network adapters

Discus and support Windows 10 capping download speeds across all network adapters in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For some reason, Windows 10 is limiting the download speed on all the network adapters on my PC to a small fraction of what it should be. I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AdamGames89, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Windows 10 capping download speeds across all network adapters

For some reason, Windows 10 is limiting the download speed on all the network adapters on my PC to a small fraction of what it should be. I have a roughly 700 Mbps-down internet connection, but testing via Speedtest.net or any other speed testing service consistently results in only about 130 Mbps down. This isn't just evident in internet speed tests, either. Downloading files shows the same speed-capping behavior, whether I do it via Origin, Steam, a web browser, a network share in File Explorer, whatever.

Crucially, this isn't a problem limited to one driver or even a single network adapter. My motherboard happens to have two built-in Gigabit Ethernet ports one an Intel I211, and the other an I219, and Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A 802.11AC Wireless Network Adapter. No matter which I'm using the problem manifests the same: an apparent cap on my download speed at right about 130 Mbps.

And before you start to think there's an easy solution, there's this too: I also have a Kubuntu installation running on this same PC. Under Kubuntu, using any of the same network adapters I get the speeds I expect: e.g. Speedtest.net shows about 600-700 Mpbs on the download side, as it should. So I have to conclude that my hardware is fine, but something is desperately broken in Windows.

Here's a pastebin of my system info, if it's helpful.

:)

AdamGames89, Feb 1, 2020

2. Network Speed issue while downloading in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand how difficult it is, when the device doesn't work in the way it should and in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below

• Are you aware of any changes on the PC, prior to this issue?
    • Are you able to download anything on a different device with 20 Mbps speed?
    • Did you try connecting the computer using an Ethernet cable and check the speed?
    • Are you getting the speed issue while streaming videos online on any browser?

However we would suggest you to perform a
    Network Speed Test
    and post a screenshot of the speed test result for further investigation. (Please follow the steps mentioned in the

screenshot
    posted by Shawn ‘Cmdr’ Keene on Oct 2, 2015 to post the screenshots.) Do not share any personal information in the screenshots.

Meanwhile you can perform the below steps and check the speed of the network.

Method 1: Disable Windows Updates.

Disable Windows updates temporarily until your current browsing task or download is complete. Windows Updates usually take away a sizeable chunk of your network bandwidth to download large files for updating data
    and this could slow down the internet speed. Once the task is complete, re-enable Windows updates.

Steps to disable and enable Windows updates temporarily.

1. Press Windows +R key from the keyboard to launch Run command.
    2. Type services.msc and click Ok.
    3. Then scroll down and select Windows Updates and click on Stop from the left pane.
    4. To enable the Windows Update service, you need to follow step 1, 2 & in 3 you need to click on Start.

Method 2: Disable the non-Microsoft antivirus.

If you have any non-Microsoft security/anti-virus software installed, please disable it temporarily and check the speed of the network.

Disable Antivirus or security software disclaimer: If you have Windows 10, you’ll get the latest antivirus protection with Windows Defender. When you start up Windows 10 for the first time, Windows
    Defender is on and actively helping to protect your PC by scanning for malware (malicious software), viruses, and security threats. Windows Defender uses real-time protection to scan everything you download or run on your PC. Windows Update downloads updates
    for Windows Defender automatically to help keep your PC safe and protect it from threats.

Method 3: Update the network driver.

Windows 10 installation often automates the process of installing generic or proprietary drivers for wireless network services, using the repository of drivers bundled with the operating system (OS). However, these drivers could
    sometimes cause stability or incompatibility issues with the hardware as they often limit the functionality of the device, unlike official or manufacturer released drivers.

To circumvent this problem, just download and install the latest Wi-Fi adapter drivers from the manufacturer's website. This will ensure enhanced stability and performance of the device.

You can also update the network adapters from device manager. Please follow the steps as mentioned in this article:
    Update drivers in Windows 10

We would suggest you for additional information, to refer this article:

Why is my Internet connection so slow?
    Also check with the
    Internet Service Provider, if they have capped the internet bandwidth from there end.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Feb 1, 2020
  3. Kiyani123 Win User
    Windows 10 home version 1903 wifi download speed capped.

Hello as the title says my internet download speed is very slow its capped to 4.5Mbps where as it should be around 10-15 Mbps my laptop is dell Inspiron 7559 and wireless adapter is Intel Dual band wireless AC 3165, cant pinpoint as to when this problem
    started I noticed it suddenly while downloading update for a game on steam. ran speed tests and found out its capped to 4.5Mbps, thing is I did the same test on ubuntu with speedtest.net it gave the speed it should which is around 15Mbps. Its also fine on
    mobile but its limited on windows for some reason. I reinstalled its drivers tried using ipconfig /flushdns with no luck at all did a full computer scan with windows defender and no malware or virus found. Anyone got a suggestion?

Kiyani123, Feb 1, 2020
  4. Windows 10 capping download speeds across all network adapters

network adapters

Hi, Michael.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As per my understanding, you may be facing an issue with your driver updates.

I suggest that you perform the steps mentioned below and check if it helps you resolve your issue.

Method 1: Network troubleshooting

• On the search bar type “Troubleshooting”
        • Click on “Network and Internet”
        • Click on “Network Adapter” and run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: Download and install the latest firmware updates for the Network adapter

Follow these steps to un-install the drivers:

• On the search bar type “ Device Manager”
    • On the left pane locate “Network Adapter” and expand by clicking on it
    • Right on the “ Network driver” option and click “Uninstall’
    • Download the latest Wireless network adapter driver setup file from the manufacturer’s website and install it.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community

Vanessa Sohtun, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 capping download speeds across all network adapters

1. Windows 10 capping download speeds across all network adapters - Similar Threads - capping download speeds

2. Download speed got capped somehow.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Download speed got capped somehow.: That's what I get when I test the speed, but whenever I download anything from anywhere the speed is stuck at 1.4MB. My computer isn't new. This was never an issue. It happened suddenly.Plus the weirdest thing is speed tests actually tells me that my internet is fine!Please...
  3. Download speed got capped somehow.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Download speed got capped somehow.: That's what I get when I test the speed, but whenever I download anything from anywhere the speed is stuck at 1.4MB. My computer isn't new. This was never an issue. It happened suddenly.Plus the weirdest thing is speed tests actually tells me that my internet is fine!Please...
  4. Download speed got capped somehow.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How to check Network Adapter Speed on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to check Network Adapter Speed on Windows 10: [ATTACH]We all carry out speed tests using third-party apps to check the speed of our internet. Do you know that you can check the speed of your internet and network adapter on Windows 10? In this guide, we will show you how you can check network adapter speed on Windows 10....
  6. Download speed capped?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Download speed capped?: I've used tron script yesterday and my download speed seems to be somehow capped, but in unusual way. So the speedtest shows my actual download and upload speed (70/70) but either steam and rockstar launcher,(or in fact any other app)are capped at 7mbps. Sometimes it doubles...
  7. Windows 10 capping wifi download speeds?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 capping wifi download speeds?: is it possible windows 10 is capping my downloads speed? im only getting 90Mbps when i should be getting 300Mbps its not an issue with my PC as ive now tried 3 different network cards and its still the same issue submitted by /u/gezzamondo [link] [comments]...
  8. Upload speed capped on windows 10

Upload speed capped on windows 10: Okay so, for some unknown reason, my computer and brand new laptop both running on windows 10 home, are capping my upload speed at 7.9mbps (exactly 0.6mbps from my router's upload sync speed). At first it may seem normal to be running slightly lower than the upload sync...
  9. A specific network capping Internet Speed

A specific network capping Internet Speed: I own an ASUS Laptop and I have a WiFi set up at my house with a plan of 10 Mbps and the ISP has given me a user IP. Since 3 days, the internet in my device is giving me not more than 1 Mbps. Now, the problem is 1. Whenever I use the IP with any other device, whether a...
  10. See Network Adapter Speed in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    See Network Adapter Speed in Windows 10: How to: See Network Adapter Speed in Windows 10 How to See Network Adapter Speed in Windows 10 A network adapter is the component of a PC's internal hardware that is used for communicating over a network with another computer and Internet. Sometimes you may need to...