Windows 10: Windows 10 cd/dvd drive missing

Discus and support Windows 10 cd/dvd drive missing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When my laptop was purchased it was already Windows 10 and came with a cd/dvd drive. I never had a problem with it until today when I tried to burn a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JoanRobson1, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Windows 10 cd/dvd drive missing

When my laptop was purchased it was already Windows 10 and came with a cd/dvd drive. I never had a problem with it until today when I tried to burn a cd. When I put the cd in it just spins and I am unable to locate the drive in windows explorer. Would an update remove any drivers and if so how do I get it back?

:)

JoanRobson1, Nov 18, 2019
  2. RLRehm Win User

Windows 7 Professional keeps dropping the DVD/CD drive

Working with a fresh install (2nd attempt) of Windows 7 Professional on new hardware. The motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. Running 4G of RAM and an Intel Q9400 Quad Core CPU. The DVD/CD optical drive is a Pioneer DVR-218L.

Here's the problem - after two fresh installs, Windows 7 drops the DVD/CD drive and I get the following error in Device Manager (The device cannot start {code 10}). After the install, the drive works for a period of time, then stops working and I get the error code.

The driver appears to be a standard Windows driver (CD-ROM driver).

I've tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it in Device Manager but it does not work - I continue to get the device error.

I've also swapped out the DVD/CD drive to insure it's not a bad unit. Same problem with both drives.

What do you suggest for next steps?? Could it be an issue with the motherboard?? A driver problem?

I visited the Pioneer web site - could not find any help or additional Windows 7 drivers.

What now??

RLRehm, Nov 18, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    Dvd drive not showing

Is this the HP 15r014tx in your system specs? If so, try the steps in this thread....
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...r/td-p/6186456

It may be that your DVD drive has a hardware failure (as was suggested in that thread).

More HP support and diagnosis suggestions here in their Help pages....
    HP PCs - CD/DVD Drive Is Not Detected (Windows 10, 8) | HP® Customer Support

4. Windows 10 cd/dvd drive missing

Dvd/CD drive is missing on Windows 10.

Hi Ascott,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I completely understand your concern and feel sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

This issue occurs due to corrupted or outdated or incompatible DVD/CD-ROM drives driver on your system.

I suggest you to sign out from the current user account, restart the PC and login to the either administrator account or the Microsoft account to check, if that helps.

Also, I suggest you to install any pending updates on the PC to check, if that helps. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Windows Update may have updated drivers available that may be relevant to your current issue. Many times, updated drivers are listed in the "Optional" section of Windows Update. Install any pending updates on the pc to check if that helps.

Please follow these methods below, to resolve the issue:

Method 1:

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

Try to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter, the steps are mentioned below:

1. Type ‘Troubleshooting’ in the search bar and press Enter.

2. Click on ‘View all’ on the left panel of the ‘Troubleshooting’ window.

3. Click on ‘Hardware and Devices' and follow on the screen instruction.

If the issue still persists, follow the Method 2.

Method 2 :

You may also update the DVD/CD-ROM drives driver from Device Manager manually and check, if this helps.

•Press (Windows key + X) and click on “Device Manager”.

•Expand “DVD/CD-ROM drives”.

•Right click on the DVD/CD-ROM driver and select “Update Driver Software”. Once this is done, restart the computer and check, if it works.

Method 3:

If still the issue persists, Uninstall and reinstall the DVD/CD-ROM drives driver and check, if it works. Refer to the following steps to uninstall the DVD/CD-ROM drives driver from the Device Manager.

a. Click on Windows key + X and then, select Device Manager.

b. Locate and expand “DVD/CD-ROM drives” in the Device Manager Window.

c. Right-click on the DVD/CD-ROM driver and click on “uninstall” the DVD/CD-ROM driver.

d. Restart the computer and check, if it works.

Hope this information helps you. Kindly post back with the updated issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Nov 18, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 cd/dvd drive missing

1. Windows 10 cd/dvd drive missing - Similar Threads - dvd drive missing

2. CD/DVD Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD/DVD Drive: Cannot get cd/dvd disc drive to be recognised https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/2738a7b0-563c-46a3-9a31-8aa6ce8c8e7d
  3. DVD/CD drive missing

DVD/CD drive missing: Unable to find all drives except my C: drive. Even went into registry to try and delete upper and lower filters. They dont exist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdcd-drive-missing/68b6d901-97d0-430b-81bd-67aebafa94cc
  4. cd/dvd drive

cd/dvd drive: I can't find the D drive or a cd/dvd drive on my hp laptop running windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/1b318ed9-49d2-466a-a7f0-9983b5cec98d
  5. cd/dvd drive

cd/dvd drive: although previously working ok, my HP pavilion will not run cd/dvd, I think since Windows 10 updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/2052dead-0253-46dc-a189-ffe263dd0d15
  6. Missing Cd DVD Drive after update to Windows 10

Missing Cd DVD Drive after update to Windows 10: I tried to burn a cd on my computer and kept getting the message that I don't have a cd burner. I looked in device manager and the cv dvd hard drive was missing. I went into the hidden devices and found the cd drive there but it says that its not connected to my computer...
  7. cd/dvd drive

cd/dvd drive: I have a new/used laptop and can't see the files from my cd/dvd drive. Device manager says drive is working properly, but it's not. Can someone help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/4a1c6a9a-0e94-4804-9a7f-b7f99b2d551a
  8. missing cd/dvd drives after upgrading to windows 10

missing cd/dvd drives after upgrading to windows 10: missing cd/dvd drives after upgrading to windows 10pro x64 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-cddvd-drives-after-upgrading-to-windows-10/79668c65-8c4a-4e80-b961-0ea6fe0c03c3
  9. CD/DVD Drive

CD/DVD Drive: I am having problems with the CD/DVD Drive on my 5yr old (I think) Sony Vaio Laptop. When I put in a CD or DVD it will spin 3-4 times but will not load. I am using Windows 10 however I think it was working for a while after I got Windows 10. I have tried uninstalling and...
  10. No CD/DVD drive

No CD/DVD drive: After installing Microsofts Windows 10 upgrade I have found that it does not see my CD/DVD drive, I did have this problem once before with Windows 7 but was able to download a program from Microsoft called MrFixit.dvd.exe, when I tried running the software it reported that my...