Windows 10: Windows 10 change desktop to laptop to take advantage of metering

Discus and support Windows 10 change desktop to laptop to take advantage of metering in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In 2015 I moved to the country and had to use satellite internet which comes with data limits. Since I had already upgraded my Windows 7 custom built... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by whitemw, Mar 30, 2020.

1. whitemw Win User

Windows 10 change desktop to laptop to take advantage of metering

In 2015 I moved to the country and had to use satellite internet which comes with data limits. Since I had already upgraded my Windows 7 custom built mid-tower to Windows 10 I had a problem with Windows 10 automatically downloading updates. Since my chassis was defined as a desktop I could take advantage of the WIFI Metering option. I found a "hack" in the registry to make my computer look like a Laptop and suddenly I have the metering option and control over update downloads. Point to Point wireless internet is now available without data restrictions so I ditched the satellite and data restrictions. I want to return my chassis designation back to desktop as I get battery recommendations etc with the laptop designation. The problem is that I can't find the instructions I used to do this, if anyone is familiar with this procedure I would appreciate your help.

:)

whitemw, Mar 30, 2020
  2. Try3 Win User

New Wifi default to metered

Chris,

Yes, it is a Registry entry. See the procedure in my post #74 in another TenForums thread. {in case it is of interest, my post #73 in that thread lists the steps I take to avoid all automatic Windows updates}

By making that change, every new WiFi network will, by default, be set as metered. You will still be able to change that back to non-metered for a specific WiFi network in the normal manner.

Denis

3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 30, 2020
  4. Windows 10 change desktop to laptop to take advantage of metering

Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10  

I found that after selecting wifi it shows a list of available connections and under need to select advanced settings and the metered selection is located their. and is not as the above tutorial.

peter prewett, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 change desktop to laptop to take advantage of metering

1. Windows 10 change desktop to laptop to take advantage of metering - Similar Threads - change desktop laptop

2. desktop on laptop changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop on laptop changed: Does Microsoft change desktop on laptops everything was conveniently on the side lower left , now it is in the middle and you have to search for power button, and for ev3rything else that was handy??? Or is Windows responsible?...
  3. desktop on laptop changed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop on laptop changed: Does Microsoft change desktop on laptops everything was conveniently on the side lower left , now it is in the middle and you have to search for power button, and for ev3rything else that was handy??? Or is Windows responsible?...
  4. How does a homeschool family take advantage of Windows 10 Education?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How does a homeschool family take advantage of Windows 10 Education?: Is there a free version of Windows 10 for home schoolers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-does-a-homeschool-family-take-advantage-of/cc416844-631d-4bad-a992-4e4b25997a8b"
  5. Metered connections changes??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Metered connections changes??: So I had 1803 build on my uncles PC which was using "Home" when it was set to metered, it would do it daily wu check like always but it would have to get permission to download and install the updates, which got notification in AC for. Now his system is using 1809 build ( it...
  6. Metered connections changes??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Metered connections changes??: So I had 1803 build on my uncles PC which was using "Home" when it was set to metered, it would do it daily wu check like always but it would have to get permission to download and install the updates, which got notification in AC for. Now his system is using 1809 build ( it...
  7. vertical audio level meter on desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    vertical audio level meter on desktop?: why does this constantly appear on my screen and why cant I lower the volume? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vertical-audio-level-meter-on-desktop/d84b4d8f-77b8-41b5-9fe2-9916fbe8f2a7
  8. Windows 10 as server: Advantage & disadvantage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 as server: Advantage & disadvantage: Hi One of our company is using Windows 10 as server. As I know, Microsoft has a product dedicated to server which Windows Server 20xx. Therefore, I would like to know is there any advantage or disadvantage of using it. Further is it advisable to using it. Appreciate if...
  9. Advantages of UEFI (Windows 10)?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Advantages of UEFI (Windows 10)?: I've been having some trouble with a clean install of Windows 10 done using the Bios route, and I'm considering doing a clean install on a brand new SSD to overcome any mistakes that I made the first time round, and I have two questions: 1) What are the advantages of...
  10. Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10: How to: Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 [img] Information A metered connection is an Internet connection that has a data limit associated with it. Cellular data connections are set as metered by default. Wi-Fi and Ethernet network connections...