Windows 10: Windows 10 Change Install location to Different Drive when Bitlocker is on

Discus and support Windows 10 Change Install location to Different Drive when Bitlocker is on in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; Hi, My second drive d:\ where i store all my applications, games and data has Bitlocker enabled. When I boot up I put in a password to unlock it.... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by dlarge, Nov 12, 2020.

1. dlarge Win User

Windows 10 Change Install location to Different Drive when Bitlocker is on

Hi,

My second drive d:\ where i store all my applications, games and data has Bitlocker enabled. When I boot up I put in a password to unlock it.

The problem is that now windows store, or xbox app does not recognise it as a drive to install anything. Even in Windows Settings the only option is to select c: drive ?

Please tell me how I can change this ? I do not want to disable bitlocker.

Thanks

Dave

:)

dlarge, Nov 12, 2020

2. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Nov 12, 2020
  3. Paola Gar Win User
    Need to turn off Bitlocker to install Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest doing the following steps again to resolve the issue. To complete the procedure, make sure that you have the following information:

• You must be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • The drive must be BitLocker-protected.
    To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    • A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Nov 12, 2020
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Can't locate the bitlocker key

Hi Chris,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community forums.

I understand that it can be difficult when your own computer is inaccessible due to some changes that could have happened. However, let's try a few troubleshooting steps and see if we can access the drive.

• Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?
    • Did you setup a BitLocker on your device before?

If you’ve not setup the BitLocker and it’s still prompting for the key, you may try to locate the BitLocker key on your Microsoft account, which will help you access the drive. Refer

Find my BitLocker recovery key
    to know how to find the BitLocker recovery key.

If no recovery key is found, you may enable the secure boot setting from BIOS and check if you can access the drive. Follow the steps listed below to enable
    secure boot.

• Power off the device and then power it on.
    • Look for a message on the boot screen just before or after the manufacturer logo appears. You may need to press the
      ‘F1’,’F2’, or
      ‘Delete’
      button, whatever key is indicated on the boot screen to enter BIOS Settings.
    • Within BIOS, choose the tab ‘BOOT’.
    Note:
    Depending on the BIOS manufacturer this page could be
    BOOT, ADVANCED, STARTUP etc.

• Look for a setting called
      ‘UEFI Secure Boot’
      and toggle the Secure Boot setting to
      ‘Enabled’.

Note:
    Each BIOS could have a different name for
    UEFI Secure Boot.
    These are the keywords to look for:
    ‘UEFI’, ‘Secure Boot’,‘Legacy Boot’.

• Restart the machine now to see if you can access the drive.

Note:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the
    configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If you still can’t access the drive, I suggest you to post your query in the

TechNet forums
    . Our support professionals, equipped with knowledge on BitLocker, will help you further.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Nov 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Change Install location to Different Drive when Bitlocker is on - Similar Threads - Change Install location

2. Change install location on Windows 10 Media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change install location on Windows 10 Media: I was trying to dual boot both Windows 11 C: and Windows 10 F:When i came in the installer, there was NO option to change the install drive location.May i ask where is it?...
  3. Change install location on Windows 10 Media

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change install location on Windows 10 Media: I was trying to dual boot both Windows 11 C: and Windows 10 F:When i came in the installer, there was NO option to change the install drive location.May i ask where is it?...
  4. Change Hard Drives Different Versions of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Change Hard Drives Different Versions of Windows 10: I have 2 computers with problems but I can turn the 2 going out into a working computer. It looks like I have a problem that the one computer has crashed and now parts, the other computer main thing is hard drive is shot. I want to take the hard drive from old computer to...
  5. Change Hard Drives Different Versions of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Hard Drives Different Versions of Windows 10: I have 2 computers with problems but I can turn the 2 going out into a working computer. It looks like I have a problem that the one computer has crashed and now parts, the other computer main thing is hard drive is shot. I want to take the hard drive from old computer to...
  6. Change Hard Drives Different Versions of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Error 0x80070005 when changing download location to different drive.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Error 0x80070005 when changing download location to different drive.: Hi there. I've tried mostly everything but i keep getting error 0x80070005 when changing my download location to a different drive. I do not wish to restart my pc as fresh as ive done this quite recently. Please advise....
  8. Changing location of backup drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing location of backup drive: I want to change the location of my backup drive. How do I do this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-location-of-backup-drive/e5de0fde-4bed-4267-94ac-d25fb3c6c153
  9. installing to different drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installing to different drive: I only use my c drive for windows. I want to install all other programs to my d drive in windows 10. how do I change the default drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-to-different-drive/80b5b159-c3aa-48a9-8e0d-da14a95c9482
  10. Location of Windows 10 - Change for when Abroad

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Location of Windows 10 - Change for when Abroad: How to: Location of Windows 10 - Change for when Abroad How to Change Region Location of Windows 10 for when Abroad [img] Note I am from Finland, living in Germany, using Windows in English with Finnish keyboard layout. Yet, when using various online services I by...