Windows 10: Windows 10 Changing App default save location ("Change where new contant is saved")

Discus and support Windows 10 Changing App default save location ("Change where new contant is saved") in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, So aside from Microsoft's support sucking and their support bot being as useless as a calculator for an chinese kid, I got the Xbox... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Joshua89, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Joshua89 Win User

Windows 10 Changing App default save location ("Change where new contant is saved")

Hi all,

So aside from Microsoft's support sucking and their support bot being as useless as a calculator for an chinese kid, I got the Xbox (Beta) app for PC for the Game Pass, I want to install games but for some dumb reason, you can't have your own custom directory, it just ASSUMES you'd wanna install it on your C drive cuz yeah, that's what everyone wants Microsoft.

Anyway, it gives an option to change the directory for all apps instead of just the bloody games for the Xbox app. When doing so, I select my gaming SSD (Which is an SSD i use to save and run games only), but when I select it I get the prompt that says

"Delete other apps? This drive has apps from another device. To use this drive, the other apps must first be deleted. Do you want to continue?"

Obviously, my interpretation of this is that it need to "format" the drive so it can have it all clean for me to use for the Xbox Games and whatever apps windows installs.

Is that correct, or will it no delete everything on that drive?

I've tried searching but no results actually explain if the drive gets formatted or not when you do that.

Personally it's stupid as hell that you can't straight up have a special directory just for the Xbox Game Pass games but instead have to set a new directory for the entire windows to save apps to.

Any help is much appreciated as I won't be able to play any games until I find out what happens when I change the directory for apps.

:)

Joshua89, Nov 7, 2019
  2. rc1990 Win User

Unable to change default save location for new apps

I have a new PC running Windows 10. The c: drive is allocated to the 128GB SSD while the d: drive is allocated to my 2TB hard drive. I want to change the default location for all saves to the d: drive.

I have gone into settings and selected Storage. I am able to change all defaults to the d: drive with the exception of New Apps. It displays "This PC (CWindows 10 Changing App default save location ("Change where new contant is saved") :)" and the drop down in grayed out and disabled.

Any help on how to get this changed would be appreciated.

Thanks.

rc1990, Nov 7, 2019
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    how to save new apps by changing default location?

Hello,

In Windows 10, applications that are downloaded from Windows Store are automatically installed in the Windows Apps Folder. However, if you want your apps to be installed on another drive you can follow the steps bellow:

• Click on Start > Settings > System >
      Storage.
    • Go to the Save Locations section,
    • Click on the drop down menu below New apps will save to and then select the desired partition or drive.

Windows 10 will automatically install apps downloaded from the Windows Store in the new installation folder. For the ones that were already installed in your system, you can move them manually to the new location by:

• Go to Start > Settings > System >
      App & features.
    • Launch a search by typing the name of the desired app into the Type an app name field. Once found, select the app from the list and click on the
      Move button.
    • Select the destination drive and click Move.

Should you have further questions please let us know.

Jelo Sen, Nov 7, 2019
  4. Jerry8A Win User

Windows 10 Changing App default save location ("Change where new contant is saved")

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Changing App default save location ("Change where new contant is saved") - Similar Threads - Changing App default

2. Changing the default save location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing the default save location: I wanna change mt default save location on my pc since im gonna download games from the microsoft store from the xbox game pass. So i need to change my default save location on my pc for my apps. But when i try to change to my other hard drive it tells me that i have apps on...
  3. Can not change default save location

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can not change default save location: I am trying to change my default save location so i can save games to my other drive. My pc is not allowing me to do so. Says there are apps on the drive from another device and must be deleted first. Then gives me an error code 0x80070005. Any ideas what to do here?...
  4. Changing Save Location Of Apps

Changing Save Location Of Apps: I tried to change the save location of apps so that I could install fallout 76 through the Xbox app on my computer, however it gave me the error code "0x80070002" and said that the operation could not complete successfully. P.S I do have a steamlibrary folder in the...
  5. Change default save location to Desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default save location to Desktop: For a Windows 10 laptop, is there a way to change the default save location from Onedrive to the PC Desktop? I don’t like to save Word files on the cloud, especially as some documents are sensitive. Every time I click ‘save’ on a new document, I always have to click a few...
  6. Change where new apps will save to

Change where new apps will save to: I got xbox game pass and when trying to install it says I have to set up a new install location. When I try to do this it doesn't coming up with an error code which I have yet to find a solution to...
  7. Changing default save location for apps

Changing default save location for apps: Problem: Changing default drive for new content. Attempting to change from C to D drives primary to secondary drives First message: Delete other apps? This drive has apps from another device, to use this drive delete them. Click yes, Error code 0x80070005 comes up. I have...
  8. Changing Default Save Location

Changing Default Save Location: Just upgraded SSD and installed fresh version of Windows 10 version 1909. My SSD is the C: drive. Prior to the SSD upgrade, files such as Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures were saved to my D: Hard Drive. Example: D: >Gagnon >Documents In other words my D:...
  9. Changed Save As Default Location but Name of New Location is Wrong

Changed Save As Default Location but Name of New Location is Wrong: I changed the Save As Default location of my Documents folder to my D:\ drive, but the location now shows up as "D:\" and not "Documents." See screenshot below. Libraries are fine, but I can't seem to find how to change the name of this folder to the proper "Documents."...
  10. Change Save Location for New Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Save Location for New Apps in Windows 10: How to: Change Save Location for New Apps in Windows 10 How to Change Location where New Apps will Install and Save to in Windows 10 In Windows 10, users can select where new Windows apps from the Store will install and save data to by default instead of on the default...