Windows 10: Windows 10: Changing default libraries location for all new users?

Discus and support Windows 10: Changing default libraries location for all new users? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi! I have built a new computer and am preparing to install Windows 10 Pro on it. My prior habit has been to move all library folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MrHirsute, Jan 8, 2019.

1. MrHirsute Win User

Windows 10: Changing default libraries location for all new users?

Hi!

I have built a new computer and am preparing to install Windows 10 Pro on it. My prior habit has been to move all library folders (\Users\MrHirsute\Documents, for example) to a secondary drive (D:\Users\[Username], for example) to reduce use of the system SSD by data that doesn't really benefit from SSD speeds.

I'm wondering if there's a supported way for me to set the default location for these folders at install time, so they are created in that location (D:\Users\[Username]) when the accounts (eg - for my spouse and children) are created, to save me the time of moving them later.

My search attempts show me abundant posts and articles about how to move them after they are created, but not if there's a way to put then where I want them as the user account is created.

Thanks in advance!

:)

MrHirsute, Jan 8, 2019

2. Can I Change My Default Desktop Location??

Hello Lucas,

You may change the default location for the desktop and library folders on Windows 10.

To change the default location of the folders, please follow these steps:

• Click Start, type This PC and press
      Enter
    • Right-click the Desktop folder and select Properties.
    • Go to Location tab and click Move.
    • Find the new location for the Desktop folder and click
      Select
      Folder.
    • Click OK to finish.

The steps must be done on each of the library folders.

Regards.

Devlin Sco, Jan 8, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 8, 2019
  4. Mohan B P Win User

Picture User Folder vs Library Picture Folder / Add to User folder

Hi,

Form the issue description, I realize that you are trying to view your pictures in the default pictures library. To do so, you have to change the location of the folder that contains your pictures to the default pictures library folder.

To view your pictures in the default pictures library, I suggest you to follow the steps below.

• Right-click on the default Picture folder
      and click on Properties.

• Navigate to Location tab.

• Click on Move…. and select the folder that contains your pictures and click on
      Apply and then click on Ok.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us for further information on Windows. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Jan 8, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10: Changing default libraries location for all new users? - Similar Threads - Changing default libraries

2. Unable to change default location for new content

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change default location for new content: I am unable to change the default location for new content from the system default C Drive to the D Drive. I see the dropdown correctly and I am able to choose the D Drive but when I click on Apply, it keeps loading and never really changes. [ATTACH] I am doing this as I...
  3. How to restore default location of Library folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to restore default location of Library folders in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If Windows Library folders are not opening correctly, you can restore the default location of Library folders in Windows 10 with the help of this […] This article How to restore default location of Library folders in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  4. Changing Default New User Profiles on Windows 10

Changing Default New User Profiles on Windows 10: I'm trying to figure out how to change the default new user profile on WIndows 10. I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology, but I'll describe what I'm trying to do. Whenever I add a new local user, I'd like that account to be customized a certain way. This way I don't...
  5. Default Library location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default Library location: How do I restore the libraries to their default location. I have tried bringing up properties on the default library folder and changing location to the default but it says it can't continue because the destination location already gas a folder by that name. Why doesn't it...
  6. Changing Default Library Icons?

Changing Default Library Icons?: Okay so I know this has to do with registry editing. The problem is I don't know how to do it. The ones I want to change the most are these: To clarify I do not mean the ones under C:/User/Me" but "This PC" as you see below. [img] I refuse to believe this cannot be...
  7. Change default location for new users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change default location for new users: In previous versions of Windows, a quick registry hack has let me create my main user (after the one in C:\Users created when installing Windows) in E:\Users rather than C:\Users. This is the method I've used before: Use Regedit to navigate to:...
  8. Changing library location changes all other libraries

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing library location changes all other libraries: My downloads, documents, videos, desktop library folders are labeled as Documents and when I change one of the locations they all change. 53948
  9. Changing default folder locations for Public users

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default folder locations for Public users: I've upgraded two machines going from a single 1T hard drive to a SSD and a 1T hard drive for data. I was able to change the default user file locations for docs, pics, music, video, and download. When I went to do the same for the public user, I was not allowed to change the...
  10. Setting default locations for libraries

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting default locations for libraries: Hi, I have 3 drives total, and have tried to set the default locations of all the libraries (documents, pictures etc) to a drive that is not the OS one. These are my drives: [img] I want the libraries on (G:) instead of (C:). [img] I went onto...