Windows 10: Windows 10 Chinese Input Method not working

Discus and support Windows 10 Chinese Input Method not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Please help, I have been desperately trying to fix one "tiny" bug of Windows 10, and I have failed even with all my wits, it looks like the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Aireyanna Havaska, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Chinese Input Method not working

Please help, I have been desperately trying to fix one "tiny" bug of Windows 10, and I have failed even with all my wits, it looks like the unpredictability and unsolvability of the unnumberable bugs & glitches of Windows OS have by far surpassed my individual intelligence, I just hope they don't surpass the combined intelligence of all of humanity.

As described above, I can't type in Chinese at all. I am currently using Windows Pro N for Workstations x64, default language is English United States en-US, I have recently clean-installed it, since repair-install failed to solve my last problem, just on April 15th, 2019, the installation was completely successful, and I added Chinese as a preferred language in the Settings app on 16th, and guess what? The language bar, or the input indicator as system icons puts it, does not show up at all.

I quickly checked Settings\Personalization\Taskbar\Turn system icons on or off, below is a screenshot of this one, and I assure you, there is no fault in this one.

Windows 10 Chinese Input Method not working 9443277c-99b4-4889-81dc-d7a2ea8106f9?upload=true.png

Then I checked Settings\Devices\Typing\Advanced keyboard settings and its subsection, Language bar options, below are screenshots of these two, also no fault.

Windows 10 Chinese Input Method not working 35e0ee5d-0ce5-48ff-a90d-43ae03048a5a?upload=true.png

Windows 10 Chinese Input Method not working 8e848d5b-c1c1-4954-a7fc-9a02c55a8972?upload=true.png

In fact I found out that "Language Bar" is actually different from "Input Indicator", they are not the same thing, they are separate although many people falsely believe they are one thing. Or so my OS shows later.

Windows 10 Chinese Input Method not working 9a432b05-ea08-4c08-8abd-ad7a1341121b?upload=true.png

In the picture above, Language Bar is the EN in the leftmost position, Input Indicator is the ENG between volume and time.

Then I ran ctfmon.exe in Administrator: Command PromptI have Admin CMD pinned to taskbar, then ran regedit and navigated to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and created new string value, below is a screenshot.

Windows 10 Chinese Input Method not working 20970267-a7f7-4cca-bf61-ba5a1b78d6f7?upload=true.png

And then I restarted my computer, only to find the problem still haven't been solved.

Then I thought my system must be corrupted, the heck I just installed the OS very recently, and I only installed VC++ redists, .NET 48, DirectX 12,jre, enabled some Windows features, and installed the hardware drivers, barely made any changes to system settings, but what the heck, I run sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth to no avail, these commands completed successfully and told me my operating system is intact, made no changes, so my best guess is the cause of this must be not system files corruption but registry issues instead.

I also tried add a new language, I added French France, input indicator didn't show up still, then I uninstalled Chinese and reinstalled it to no avail still, I was really frustrated, then I got an idea, I though it must have something to do with Input Method Editor, I then opened taskmgr task manager and ended the process of Microsoft IME, then Input Indicator immediately appeared,

then I thought problem solved, victory!

But no, another problem immediately followed. I just can't switch to Chinese input method most of the time, sometimes I could do it, but it isn't working at all, no Chinese character list popup for me to choose from, I just typed letters directly in en-US keyboard, and I can't type any characters in UWP Microsoft Edge and Search and Settings and any other UWP apps even if I switch out of Chinese, the keyboard doesn't work at all with them, requires me to restart to type in UWP apps. And once I restart, Input Indicator redisappears, and I have to reend Microsoft IME for Input Indicator to reappear.

But interestingly, my keyboard works perfectly fine when I switched into Chinese with all non-UWP softwares, and I have no problem at all typing English, and, when I switched into French, I typed QWERTY on keyboard, it shows up as AZERTY on screen, indicates French is also working well. So it is Chinese-or Asian only problem.

I then ran taskschd.msc Task Scheduler, navigated to Microsoft\Windows\TextServicesFramework, and checked MsCtfMonitor, which was not running, and then I started it, and I can type in UWP apps again after switched into Chinese, below is a screenshot of taskschd.

Windows 10 Chinese Input Method not working a47da813-9f2d-4b85-a307-2cfa5ffc1bf3?upload=true.png

And then I can easily switch into Chinese input methods without any problem, but still I just can't type Chinse at all, I can only type English when I switched into Chinese input methods no matter what, and when I use Microsoft Pinyin IM, I can't switch between Chinese and English, I can only type English, I hover my pointer over Ying, it tells me IME is disabled:

Windows 10 Chinese Input Method not working 09ea8911-a101-462c-9905-68fc79a9a68e?upload=true.png

Then I immediately knew what it actually meant, it meant Microsoft IME is not running, because I stopped it, and normally the system would restart the process automatically, but somehow the system didn't.

In fact I have actually managed to locate the troubling Microsoft IME, it is in %windir%\system32\inputmethod\chs, its real name is ChsIME.exe, below is a screenshot of this folder.

Windows 10 Chinese Input Method not working be91d2ab-63cc-4f39-a6ea-9566e6b431e6?upload=true.png

I then tried to start it manually but I can't, it is impossible. And I knew even if I could, it would make Input Indicator disappear.

so I restarted and ran the following commands:

schtasks /End /TN “\Microsoft\Windows\TextServicesFramework\MsCtfMonitor”

schtasks /Run /TN “\Microsoft\Windows\TextServicesFramework\MsCtfMonitor”

taskkill /F /IM ChsIME.exe

And an error warning window always popped up, sometimes it says "taskhostw.exe unknown hard error", other times it says "taskhostw.exe a fail fast exception has occurred..."

Windows 10 Chinese Input Method not working 5d3b4aca-beb5-4371-ba5a-ddd67d182e4c?upload=true.png

Still problem exists. I have failed to solve it by myself, and I don't want to reinstall or system restore once again, please do not suggest me to do so, avoiding actually solving the problem. Yes, for sure it will work for a time, but it is really just a temporary solution, not a permanent one. The system will only work without any problem for a rather short time, before ultimately the same problems emerge over and over again inevitably.

Although I have failed to solve the problem, I have actually managed to identify the actual cause of the problem, I would say, it is because Windows 10 Chinese language ?preferred language? ?local experience pack? ?language pack? whatever it is, it is in fact bugged, that ChsIME.exe Microsoft IME is completely incompatible and contradictory with Input Indicator and/or MsCtfMonitor,

makes the latter two not working properly, however there must be a solution, can anyone better at programming than me provide a solid solution to this one? I say thanks in advance.

:)

Aireyanna Havaska, Apr 17, 2020
  2. Disinto Win User
    Disinto, Apr 17, 2020
  3. Chinese input method candidate words

look,when i play dota 2 , Chinese input method(pinyu) there is no candidate words list, it make me feel sad!

now,how can i change Chinese input method candidate words list from horizontal into vertical

海东徐1, Apr 17, 2020
  4. Entegy Win User

Windows 10 Chinese Input Method not working

Chinese input method

I'm not really educated on keyboards for Chinese, but can you please tell me the difference between PinYin and the options offered on Windows Phone? I see 6 different input methods for Chinese.

As always, anything you want to see added in a future version of Windows Phone should go to the suggestion box.
    http://windowsphone.uservoice.com

Entegy, Apr 17, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Chinese Input Method not working

1. Windows 10 Chinese Input Method not working - Similar Threads - Chinese Input Method

2. Microsoft Pinyin Chinese input method spelling error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Pinyin Chinese input method spelling error: in Chinese correct pinyin spelling is shi'denot si'dePlease correct it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-pinyin-chinese-input-method-spelling/71a3b8ec-0026-45c6-84df-9d4f4a956546
  3. Chinese Simplified Input Method Qwerty based

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chinese Simplified Input Method Qwerty based: Hello, when someone add Mandarin Chinese Simplified input method it has a qwerty layout which is used to type in chinese.You still write the letters of alphabet, but after press space bar it turns to Chinese symbols.For example if you wanna say Hello, must write "nihao" press...
  4. Chinese Simplified Input Method Qwerty based

Chinese Simplified Input Method Qwerty based: Hello, when someone add Mandarin Chinese Simplified input method it has a qwerty layout which is used to type in chinese.You still write the letters of alphabet, but after press space bar it turns to Chinese symbols.For example if you wanna say Hello, must write "nihao" press...
  5. Input method not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Input method not working: Hi,I'm running Windows 10 20H2 and now my keyboard input methods for other languages don't work. I've used them for years and now after the last Windows update I can type ONLY in English. I'm using Microsoft Pinyin and Japanese IME's.Please advice. Thanks....
  6. Input method not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Input method not working: Hi,I'm running Windows 10 20H2 and now my keyboard input methods for other languages don't work. I've used them for years and now after the last Windows update I can type ONLY in English. I'm using Microsoft Pinyin and Japanese IME's.Please advice. Thanks....
  7. Input method not working

8. Windows 10 Chinese Input Method not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Chinese Input Method not working: Please help, I have been desperately trying to fix one "tiny" bug of Windows 10, and I have failed even with all my wits, it looks like the unpredictability and unsolvability of the unnumberable bugs & glitches of Windows OS have by far surpassed my individual intelligence, I...
  9. Chinese input method cannot be switched out on windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Chinese input method cannot be switched out on windows 10: It works only when "default" desktop. If CreateDesktop \ SwitchDesktop switch to another desktop, it won’t work. Can be verified with desktops https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/desktops...
  10. windows 10 Chinese input method

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 Chinese input method: hi, Can you please remove "Mode Change Key" this unnecessary and annoying option and I also don't need "Default Input mode"! I think you should fire who make these design that guy, is wasting my time, can you tell me who and why need these? one more thank windows 10...