Windows 10: Windows 10 Choose Default Applications for different Users or Accounts

Discus and support Windows 10 Choose Default Applications for different Users or Accounts in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello the internet brains, When I change a default app, it changes it for another User. When another User selects a different program to use as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TTadminAU, Jan 25, 2021.

1. TTadminAU Win User

Windows 10 Choose Default Applications for different Users or Accounts

Hello the internet brains,

When I change a default app, it changes it for another User.

When another User selects a different program to use as a default application, it changes it for me again.

How do I set default applications for different Users?

Info:

Both users are Administrators

Win 10 latest version 19042.685

I have searched Google and several forums

Thanks in advance

:)

TTadminAU, Jan 25, 2021
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Windows 10 Choose Default Applications for different Users or Accounts :(

Zakin, Jan 25, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Jan 25, 2021
  4. Jim8080 Win User

Lost my default user account

My default user account is not listed during startup; only the Guest account called Windows User is available.

Earlier, I was trying to find my Microsoft account, but don't think I was successful. I entered a password I had used years ago with the Microsoft Community, but it was incorrect. I'm not sure what I would see if I had opened my Microsoft account. I guess something happened.

I shut down and restarted my computer and to my surprise I was asked for a password. I don't recall what happened when I originally set up the computer, but would have eliminated the password, if possible. I fiddled around, not sure what to do, and accidentally selected Windows User when I started the computer again. Now I'm not asked, and Windows User is automatically used.

My default account is still on the computer. I started with Administrator privileges, and ran C:\WINDWS\system32>net user and it is listed as the default account (WDAGUtilityAccount is listed under the Default Account heading). Windows User is the guest account.

I attempted to use System Restore from the Windows User Account but it was off. Since it is a different account, it probably would not have helped.
    Any suggestions? Jim

Jim8080, Jan 25, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Choose Default Applications for different Users or Accounts - Similar Threads - Choose Default Applications

2. Is it possible to set different default printers on two different applications on windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to set different default printers on two different applications on windows?: I want to set printer 1 as my default for my Adobe application and printer 2 as my default for MS Word. Is this possible? submitted by /u/Raidho27 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kn9sr6/is_it_possible_to_set_different_default_printers/
  3. default user accounts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default user accounts: I purchased a windows 10 computer from a friend and on the desktop, top left was a folder with his name. Lets call him Steve. In the directory system, under C:/users there is a folder, along with the normal "default" and "public" folders is a folder for "steve". "steve" is...
  4. Windows 10 will not allow me to choose a default application for my file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 will not allow me to choose a default application for my file type: I have some .XML files which I wish to view. The Windows 10 default application for this type of file isXML Editor. Unfortunately for some unknown reason that will not read my .XML files. However, I do have a Microsoft application installed called XML Notepad 2007 which does...
  5. Windows 10 - Install different programs on different user accounts?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Install different programs on different user accounts?: I want to have both The Sims 2 (base game, physical copy/CD installation) and The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection (digital download) on the same computer, but I can't run one with the other installed because they conflict. I have two user accounts on my computer and I was...
  6. Windows different users accounts copying applications from the main account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows different users accounts copying applications from the main account: Hi All, I am trying to create different user on Win 10, i tried everything but still some of the main user apps are showed in the new user desktop for example: Chrome, Mozilla, Steam, Adobe etc. I want to create new clean user and have only the bin on the desktop Could...
  7. Under settings, choose default application by file extension.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Under settings, choose default application by file extension.: Under settings, choosing the default application by file extension, is very time-consuming. It has no search feature "dumb." I'm quite familiar with editing the registry "Regedit" I have looked at I cannot find where applications by extension is filed. If anybody knows,...
  8. User accounts and users are different

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User accounts and users are different: Hi I have two accounts on my laptop: Bryan as admin and James as my local account which I use for my daily workings. All my work is save to a different partition on the hard drive. I now notice that if I go to C:\users, I have my admin account but there are two other...
  9. Choose Default Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Choose Default Apps in Windows 10: How to: Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 How to Choose Default Apps to Open Files with in Windows 10 A default app is the program that Windows uses automatically when you open a particular file type or protocol. The default app you choose will only apply to your...
  10. Different default modes (Tablet/Desktop) for different user accounts..

in Windows 10 Support
    Different default modes (Tablet/Desktop) for different user accounts..: Hi I have a touchscreen laptop and 3 user accounts, one of which is for my children (aged 3 and 5). I would like to be able to make the default mode for my children's account 'tablet mode' (to make it as simple as possible for them to use and access key apps) while...