Windows 10: Windows 10 claimed ~30GB of my SSD space. Is this normal?

Discus and support Windows 10 claimed ~30GB of my SSD space. Is this normal? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, from 7 and 8 forums! I upgraded from Windows 8, and I haven't been able to figure out where this all came from, but a large chunk of it, is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Supra, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Supra Win User

Windows 10 claimed ~30GB of my SSD space. Is this normal?

Hello, from 7 and 8 forums! I upgraded from Windows 8, and I haven't been able to figure out where this all came from, but a large chunk of it, is Windows.old. I searched how to free up that space, but that only offered me ~5GB. How would I remove Windows.old, or is it not advised?

:)

Supra, Jul 29, 2015
  2. lolcocks Win User

I would suggest making a clean install. It takes up only 19 GB of my Hard Disk space (Pro version) and takes only 30 minutes to install via pen drive.

lolcocks, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Molyy Win User
    Molyy, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Supra Win User

Thanks for sharing, but I only seem to be able to partially delete this folder with the second option; I will get 'access denied' with a lot of files, it seems. With option 3, it would just tell me the folder isn't empty... *Confused

Supra, Jul 29, 2015
  5. delsus Win User
    If you go to disk cleanup (select to clean C for now) then click "Clean up system files" you will be able to delete old versions of Windows and files from them that are stored in Windows.old

delsus, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Supra Win User
    I did this prior to starting the thread. It removed 5GB, but 11GB still remains in Windows.old.

Supra, Jul 29, 2015
  7. delsus Win User
    Hmm, when I did it the entire Windows.old and all articles online say that removing "Previous Windows versions" via disk cleanup should remove Windows.old completely.

delsus, Jul 29, 2015
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

another solution if you have a second machine and have it on a LAN (Wifi connection is good too --doesn't have to be via cable) -- set "C" up as a shared device then from the SECOND machine delete the windows.old

If you don't have a spare machine but are knowledgeable with LINUX download a live distro on to a USB stick, boot it up and you can delete the windows.old from the Windows partition. If you use any Linux distro with a GUI then something like dolphin (approx. like windows explorer) will find and delete the file.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 29, 2015
  9. Why are people replying without reading the full thread.
    He already said he tried the 'Cleanup System Files' method.

Yet people keep trying to help with same info.

Sorry, I don't know the answer, Supra.
    MS does manage to make the simplest of things a mess at times by hiding means and tools.
    Xfiles .

DurkaDurkaDurka, Jul 29, 2015
  10. Supra Win User
    Well it seems the contents of the Windows.old folder have disappeared. I'm not sure what I did (I did try and just delete it from the file explorer) but while the folder isn't able to be deleted, it doesn't weight anything anymore! Thanks for the help.
    I'm thankful that I have people willing to lend their own time helping me, but I (and likely others) would appreciate scanning the thread to see what progress OP has made. Also, please refrain from "reinstall windows" or "use something else" type answers unless fully justifying it, as most of the time it really doesn't help the original issue! *Smile

Supra, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 claimed ~30GB of my SSD space. Is this normal? - Similar Threads - claimed ~30GB SSD

2. SSD Disk Claims to be Full

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD Disk Claims to be Full: Dear MSCSI am having issues with my PC, where it shows me that my SSD Drive is full, but when I calculate the each folder using the properties feature, it is supposed to be far from full.I noticed that I was having a problem installing Java or Java SE Update, which I have...
  3. SSD Disk Claims to be Full

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Disk Claims to be Full: Dear MSCSI am having issues with my PC, where it shows me that my SSD Drive is full, but when I calculate the each folder using the properties feature, it is supposed to be far from full.I noticed that I was having a problem installing Java or Java SE Update, which I have...
  4. SSD Disk Claims to be Full

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My Windows 10 taking 30gb of storage, what to do ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Windows 10 taking 30gb of storage, what to do ?: I am using all in one hp pavilion its Windows 10 is taking space of 30gb. Please find the attached screenshot.Kindly tell me how to reduce it....
  6. I only have 30gb in C Drive Space.

I only have 30gb in C Drive Space.: most people say you should have more but my c drive is only 30gb. I normally have 800MB left and I think that's why nothing loads. could someone tell me how to buy or get more space from a USB or hard drive in another disc?...
  7. Disk space reduced from 81GB to 30GB!

Disk space reduced from 81GB to 30GB!: I was having about 81 GB free space in my system SSD, I wanted to gain more space so I right-clicked on the Recycle Bin icon and selected "Empty Recycle Bin". The Recycle Bin had about 7GB so I was expecting to gain that 7GB back, but instead, I lost over 50% of the storage...
  8. Trying to update my system on 30GB SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to update my system on 30GB SSD: Long story short, I'm concerned with the integrity of my laptop and several of my apps/programmes have become somewhat incompatible or just out of date with my current version Windows 10 v1803. I've been trying for several months now to clear enough storage from my C: drive...
  9. Re-claim Free Space in Storage Spaces Volume

Re-claim Free Space in Storage Spaces Volume: I have a Win10 machine with 1x 500GB SSD (boot drive) and 3x 3TB HDD. I have storage spaces set up for the HDDs and have noticed that any deleted data in the volume does not change "usage" according to storage spaces. Now it says my volume is full despite having only ~5TB on...
  10. Space for Windows on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Space for Windows on SSD: Hi, I am running Windows 10 Home on a SSD in 37GB partition. Updates are taking space and I now have 11GB left. There is plenty of space on that drive, so I would like to know if it is possible to extend Windows partition without destroying the OS. The other, more...