Windows 10: Windows 10 - classic view

Discus and support Windows 10 - classic view in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I had the classic view set on my Windows 10 laptop - until last night's update. What has Microsoft done this time? Why do you not ask users what they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ajjp5451, Jan 17, 2020.

1. ajjp5451 Win User

Windows 10 - classic view

I had the classic view set on my Windows 10 laptop - until last night's update. What has Microsoft done this time? Why do you not ask users what they want instead of imposing your will on people? My next laptop will not be a Windows device - that's for certain. And for that matter - I also have a Windows 7 desktop, with a slower processor and less RAM - yet it runs way faster than the laptop. I note that Microsoft have now chosen to stop supporting W7, most likely in an attempt to boost sales of W10. If that is the case - sorry, Microsoft, but you've failed. When the desktop stops working, I'll switch to a Mac.

:)

ajjp5451, Jan 17, 2020
  2. jack s. Win User

Windows 10 Classic View not found

For Windows 10, Microsoft lists the following way to use the Classic View (as in Windows 7):

To change the Start menu to Classic view

The classic view of Start menu is based on previous version of Windows.

• Open Taskbar and Start Menu Properties by clicking the Start button

Windows 10 - classic view [​IMG]
      , clicking
      Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking
      Taskbar and Start Menu.

• Click the Start Menu tab, click Classic Start menu, and then click
      OK.

That sounds OK, except that in the latest version of Windows 10 "Appearance and Personalization" is not found in the Control Panel--only "Personalization," without an option for Classic Start menu, is given. So what has Microsoft failed to say or update?

I realize that third party apps (to give a Windows 7 experience) are available, but I would like to know what Microsoft itself offers in terms of the Classic View.

Similarly, in Windows 10 is there a way to add folders to the C-drive in the classic way, as opposed to creating a folder in Desktop under This PC and then adding folders there? (I do not want to go to Desktop, then a Desktop folder, every time that I want
    to view or create a folder--those are tiresome extra steps compared to the Classic way of creating a folder on the C-drive.)

jack s., Jan 17, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 17, 2020
  4. jack s. Win User

Windows 10 Classic View not found

Thanks. But it would seem risky to add personal files to Windows (C), the Widows folder that should be reserved for the OS. I see no way to add a folder to This PC at the same level as Windows (C). Instead, one has to go to an existing folder (Desktop, Documents,
    Music, Pictures, Downloads, Video) to add a folder in a tiresome intermediary step that, of course, results in another tiresome intermediary step each time one needs to access the new folder. In regular usage there are thus endless intermediary steps, though
    one at a time. In the Classic View of Windows 7 you could add a folder at the same level of Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures, Downloads, Video and were not restricted to these categories. Unrestricted access comes only after you choose one of these folders
    for adding a new folder.

The further point which I still hope to understand, since Microsoft's technical note is inaccurate or obsolete, is how to launch the Classic View in Windows 10.

jack s., Jan 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - classic view - Similar Threads - classic view

2. how can I import hyperlinked files to excel since the return to classic view is not working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can I import hyperlinked files to excel since the return to classic view is not working?: how can I import hyperlinked files to excel since the return to classic view is not working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-import-hyperlinked-files-to-excel-since/0be4d3ad-9042-40a2-8c00-4b2d8deee5e2
  3. how can I import hyperlinked files to excel since the return to classic view is not working?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can I import hyperlinked files to excel since the return to classic view is not working?: how can I import hyperlinked files to excel since the return to classic view is not working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-import-hyperlinked-files-to-excel-since/0be4d3ad-9042-40a2-8c00-4b2d8deee5e2
  4. how can I import hyperlinked files to excel since the return to classic view is not working?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How To Change Windows 11 to Classic View?

in Windows 10 News
    How To Change Windows 11 to Classic View?: Microsoft has brought about many changes with the launch of Windows 11. However, the one thing many users are unhappy with is the taskbar. Many want it changed to a classic view; however, they don't know how. This article will help you change your Windows 11 taskbar to a...
  6. Windows 10 Classic View

Windows 10 Classic View: How do I enable the classic view or classic shell in windows 10? I seem to remember reading ahead of time that there would be a way to make windows 10 look and function much more like windows 7 which is why I was looking forward to this upgrade. However I cannot find the...
  7. How to make Windows 10 desktop in "classic Windows view" ?

How to make Windows 10 desktop in "classic Windows view" ?: A new PC is arriving soon, my first in nearly a decade. I want to immediately be able to change the tile-like Windows 10 interface/desktop back to the "classic" Windows icon desktop. How will I do it? Thanks, RB...
  8. How do i get a usable Classic View on Windows 10

How do i get a usable Classic View on Windows 10: I have mild cataracts so "Windows Dark Mode" and "Windows Light Mode" just don't cut it. They might work OK for people under 40, but not for me. I need "WindowsJust Right Mode". I cannot see the edges of windows, and I cannot tell which window is currently in focus....
  9. Classic View

Classic View: How do i get Classic View on Windows 10? Please can you help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/classic-view/801f1fa9-0997-46ac-8277-9d068c9f26bd
  10. Can I Change my desk top view to windows classic view

Can I Change my desk top view to windows classic view: How do I change my desktop view to windows classic view in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-change-my-desk-top-view-to-windows-classic/c1ad651e-a92d-4f44-ba5c-e04f7be6e9cf

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 classic view software

2. classic view

3. change windows 10 to classic view