Windows 10: Windows 10 clean install caused Repair Loop Error

Discus and support Windows 10 clean install caused Repair Loop Error in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In your BIOS settings do the following and this build will work in BIOS must change XD-bit (No-execute Memory Protect) to ENABLE work perfect Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tengeezer, May 30, 2015.

1. Gary Win User

Windows 10 clean install caused Repair Loop Error

In your BIOS settings do the following and this build will work

2. I just reinstalled W10 to try this and seems that MS put out a new ISO version so i had no problems until i restarted. Now another bug saying that i dont have an installed OS.

I will never install BUG10 again, this was the last straw.

alexcruz89, Jun 8, 2015
  3. essenbe Win User
  4. Jools Win User

This happens to me as well. I think it happens if you install windows ten without the separate 350 MB partition for recovery.

It will be stuck in a repair loop and when you try to repair it it will say something like "cannot repair windows, the disk is locked".

Jools, Jun 10, 2015
  5. atleeit Win User
    I registered just so I can say Thank you, i'm a tech by trade but this had my brain limbering for a work around. Awesome bro.

atleeit, Jun 13, 2015
  6. Some members have success by increasing the size of the System Reserve partition (I have been recommending 450 MB). I have MBR initialized disks and have only had an issue once (10.0.041???) but was able to clean up the part and boot again. Another member noted that there was a new 450 MB partition (they probably have a GPT initialized disk) created to the right of other parts during a recent install (10.0.130???)

It seems as though MS is working through this issue, but MBR initialized disks present a hurdle, especially when the OEM uses all four available partitions.

Anyway ... I bit the bullet and shrunk the Boot part (normally C:\) by 350 MB, slid the Boot part to the right, and grew System to 450 MB (original 100 MB + space freed up by shrinking CWindows 10 clean install caused Repair Loop Error :) Minitoll PW made this a simple task.

Warning:
    If you are familiar with disk schemas and tools, you should be able to figure it out. Minitool PW has some excellent videos and documentation.

If you aren't sure how to do tasks such as these, it is not a good idea to experiment. One member I helped decided to see what PW could do and wiped all of the data from the 2nd drive. In their case, the data was not precious, so no harm, no foul.

Slartybart, Jun 13, 2015
  7. linw Win User
    That's a brilliant (free!) partition tool, I agree. But, like you say, you have to be VERY careful with these weapons!

8. atleeit Win User

All I can say Microsoft is missing the major problems, if MS release Windows 10 in July and do not fix the checking of the Sys reserve space and expand and shrink ntfs part if needed or the next build that comes along does not fix the "No-execute Memory Protect" issue then there is going to be major problems with home users across the board with rebooting issues just by upgrading.

I'm assuming Windows 10 will require CPU feature to be enabled for all on-going builds and final builds:
    "No-execute Memory Protect", without this it will just reboot.

This was never the case for every other previous Windows build they brought out so I'm not sure why they are requiring it now.

Basically MS is forcing the feature, Yes it protects buffer overflow attacks. However alot of motherboard vendors have this optin switched off by default. How many home users out there i'm talking in a general every day use case know anything about bios's and there options. I'm not talking techno freaks either ha. If MS force this option it will frig alot of home users which will need to seek professional help if they decide to go ahead with Windows 10 upgrades.

atleeit, Jun 14, 2015
  9. Lots of ifs and assumptions - and we're still running development code.

I understand what you're saying, but MS is working on this as I previously mentioned.

It's not clear that the two things you mentioned (size of the System Reserve part and No-execute Memory Protect) are connected, but I'll take your word on that. It's possible that a different bug presented itself as the one you saw.

I'm confident that MS will release Win10 without major issues ... there will be issues that are already being addressed for two releases next year. And many known issues will have updates earlier. That's how development works.

Here's some reading material:
    Windows 10 FAQ & Tips - Microsoft
    Windows 10 Specifications - Microsoft
    To install a 64-bit OS on a 64-bit PC, your processor needs to support
    CMPXCHG16b,
    PrefetchW, and
    LAHF/SAHF.
    After skimming through the list, most of the CPU requirements seem to focus on 64 bit installs. I wonder if the issue you saw would present itself if you installed the 32-bit windows (I know.... you want a 64-bit install. It wasn't a suggestion, it was wondering)

Why are they requiring it now? To take advantage of the new features ... progress ... the future ... you know advancement *Wink

Slartybart, Jun 14, 2015
  10. atleeit Win User
    Slartybart I wasn't really connecting the two problems as they are totally two different problem areas, I was rather looking at them as two major pre-release problems.

I understand it's development code as I went through the same process testing the other previous windows as well with 7 and 8. I haven't tested 32bit install vs 64bit install on the same setup as normally I wouldn't as majority of pc's these days are 4gb+.

I also understand them wanting to add more features and advance in technology however the board I was using on one of my test setups was a G41 chipset, dual core 64bit processor which in many eyes still can handle Windows 10 however they only implemented the XD requirement in build 10030 and if they continue with this requirement then it's going to hurt quite alot of people if they do not know anything about bios's and how they work.

MS cannot expect normal users to know what a BIOS is, also they should not expect or want to force users to chuck there existing dual core setup away all because of this feature. What happens to the users with boards that do not have this feature? I'm assuming there wouldn't be a work around and there stuck with 7 or 8. Yes majority of all new boards or past boards dating back a few years would support this feature. I'm just more thinking about all those users with slightly older setups and are not techno savvy or the slightly older setups without this feature.

atleeit, Jun 14, 2015
  11. Ok, thanks for the clarification.

I think we agree with one exception ... older machines will have to be replaced. Let's see if the next release has the same requirement or causes the same issue.

If a machine does not meet the requirements, then you are correct. The user will just continue using Win7 or Win8 on that machine.

What happens if the user attempts to update one of those machines has to be crystal clear and fail gracefully. We'll see.

Bill

Slartybart, Jun 14, 2015
  12. atleeit Win User
    Hi Bill, I repair, build and install as a business on the side of my real full time job. I can see alot of my existing customers clicking the Windows logo, reserving there copy and installing without checking or being told about the specific hardware requirement. Windows 10 install does do a compatibility test but it won't check for a CPU feature if it's enabled or not. Good example would be 10030, we'll see what happens maybe I'm wrong or misjudging these problems and also mis-judging what improvements will happen over the next month.

atleeit, Jun 14, 2015
  13. Windows 10 clean install caused Repair Loop Error

Yeah, I got the sense that you weren't just an average end user. It's sometimes difficult to convey in a forum, but we're on the same page.

The only thing we can do is feed MS our experiences testing the Preview. I think there will be at least 3 more drops (one in June, two in July) - but that's just a guess. A few members installed the 135 leak and reported that it is very stable, so 136 should be on the FAST ring soon (rumors were for sometime last week).

atleeit : maybe I'm wrong or misjudging these problems
    On the other hand, maybe you are right and have good judgement.

Keep the faith brother

Bill

Slartybart, Jun 14, 2015
  14. atleeit Win User
    Yeah Gabe did mention 136 is in OSG Slow ring on 11th June, let's hope he releases this and we see how it goes you never know a newer build might release above the internal 136 depending upon if the internal team is happy it won't break too much. *Smile

atleeit, Jun 14, 2015
  15. atleeit Win User
    Maybe this will come out instead >>> 10147 *Smile anything newer and improved is always in my books for testing.

atleeit, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 clean install caused Repair Loop Error - Similar Threads - clean install caused

2. Clean windows install loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean windows install loop: My old pc is a hp pavilion gaming desktop which I took the original m.2 out of so it has no storage and I Put a brand new m.2 in and I go to install windows it boots to the windows setup and I click custom: install windows onlyIt copies windows files, finished getting files...
  3. Windows 10 Install Errors Causing Loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Install Errors Causing Loop: Hello!I am trying to install windows onto my laptop and I am running into errors with solutions that cause new errors.When I first tried to install Windows 10 via USB I got the error "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one". The general consensus I have...
  4. Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop - Causes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop - Causes: We have seen a bunch of Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loops in the last couple of years and I wanted to share what the possible causes are, especially since these loops happen sporadically and without apparent reason, although it seems to always involve a Windows Update...
  5. Clean install error loop

Clean install error loop: Hello, I'm currently trying to do a clean install of Win 10 to resolve errors with my graphics driver. After the reset percentage screen, the screen went black for several minutes, so I rebooted, and it now gives me an "unexpected reset" error every time I confirm the same...
  6. Update causing Windows Repair loop

Update causing Windows Repair loop: The latest Windows 10 update, after restart, doesn't let me log in to my computer. Windows seems to be stuck in a Windows Repair Mode loop, where every option simply results in Windows restarting and winding up at the same place. A complication is that while "Continue to...
  7. windows 10 clean installation loop

windows 10 clean installation loop: I have been trying to install windows 10 on my hp laptop and it keeps looping from "hi there let's get a few things out of the way". i tried booting from usb to bypass it but seems not be to working. in all my laptop is stuck here[ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  8. Clean Windows 10 Install Loop

Clean Windows 10 Install Loop: Hey, I'm installing Windows 10 onto new new SSD, the setup will say its needs to restart, then it restarts and doesn't continue the install and then restarts the whole install? Any idea? Thanks *Smile 10346
  9. Windows 10 repair/ clean install

Windows 10 repair/ clean install: I upgraded from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 10 32-bit successfully. I wanted to install chrome since the internet was bugging out so I plugged in a flash drive and my computer started to shut down. After this my computer did disk check and couldnt repair itself. I cant system...
  10. Clean Installation of Windows 10 in a Loop

Clean Installation of Windows 10 in a Loop: I have sought guidance from relevant Windows 10 Tutorials and have met a problem. I have fitted an SSD to my Medion Akoya 5024D (MD7659) which now is four years old. The computer originally ran Windows 7 and I upgraded, first to Windows 8, secondly to Windows 8.1 and thirdly...