Windows 10: Windows 10 clean install on new PC?

Discus and support Windows 10 clean install on new PC? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just got a brand new lenovo laptop with Windows 10 Pro, pre-installed at delivery. This is the first time I have considered a clean install to remove... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mstanley, Dec 26, 2015.

1. mstanley Win User

Windows 10 clean install on new PC?

I just got a brand new lenovo laptop with Windows 10 Pro, pre-installed at delivery. This is the first time I have considered a clean install to remove any unwanted bloatware or software. But after some research I can't tell if it is necessary? I have no data on this machine yet so I am willing to try.

So far, I have created a USB recovery drive, system image backup, and system repair disk before doing anything else. Then I ran bloatware removal software and found nothing critical on my new laptop, except for some software which I can easily uninstall myself. So my questions are:

1) Since there is not much unwanted software, should I even bother with a clean install?

2) If I make a mistake, will I be able to restore the computer to its current state by recovering the system image I just created?

3) Will a clean install remove all the software which I might like to keep (such as Lenovo power management)? Will I have the option to reinstall whichever Lenovo software I want? I think it might be tedious to re-install drivers for the built-in smart card reader, fingerprint reader, etc.

4) Is a clean install as simple as a "reset" of Windows 10? Or will this just restore it to the state as it was when I took it out of the box?

Thanks for any advice, as this is the first time I have ever considered re-installing the operating system on a new computer.

:)

mstanley, Dec 26, 2015
  2. PA Bear - MS MVP, Dec 26, 2015
  3. ToddWynia Win User
    Clean install Windows 10 on new SSD

I'm currently running Windows 7 with all my drives being spinning media. If I upgrade to Windows 10, I'd like to get a new SSD as my primary boot drive and install Windows 10 on that rather than existing spinning media. Is that possible

ToddWynia, Dec 26, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Short answer. Yes, I would do a fresh install as I did in the past with every Laptop I had.

topgundcp, Dec 26, 2015
  5. mstanley Win User
    Thanks for the advice. I will do the fresh install. Is that as simple as selecting the Windows 10 reset?

mstanley, Dec 26, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 26, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    In addition. Before fresh install of Windows:
    • Download a portable version (No installation required) : Driver 4.1 Backup Download to back up all the drivers that are currently installed and save to a USB/External HD/Internal HD so that you can restore all the drivers after the fresh install in one sweep.
    • Make sure you backup the whole disk using either: Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backupper. Just in case things go wrong, something to fall back

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 clean install on new PC? - Similar Threads - clean install

2. Can't Activate Windows 11 Pro Key after doing clean install of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Activate Windows 11 Pro Key after doing clean install of Windows: I can't activate Windows 11 Pro with the key that I purchased for it after doing a clean install of Windows. It remains stuck at Windows 11 Home Edition.Can someone assist?...
  3. Can't Activate Windows 11 Pro Key after doing clean install of Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Activate Windows 11 Pro Key after doing clean install of Windows: I can't activate Windows 11 Pro with the key that I purchased for it after doing a clean install of Windows. It remains stuck at Windows 11 Home Edition.Can someone assist?...
  4. Windows 11 clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean install: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  5. Windows 11 clean install

Windows 11 clean install: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  6. Windows 11 clean instal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean instal: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  7. Windows 11 clean instal

Windows 11 clean instal: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  8. Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations: Hello,I unintentionally downloaded a virus that seems to be associated with XAMPP, causing my computer's applications, including Windows programs, to attempt connections to malicious IPs, which Malwarebytes has been blocking. Despite formatting my C: drive and deleting D:...
  9. Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations

Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations: Hello,I unintentionally downloaded a virus that seems to be associated with XAMPP, causing my computer's applications, including Windows programs, to attempt connections to malicious IPs, which Malwarebytes has been blocking. Despite formatting my C: drive and deleting D:...
  10. pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install

pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install: PC BSOD's while playing a game.PC continues to randomly while playing a game crash for weeks.restarting randomlyThought it might be related to some services, deleted gaming services.Restored all services as this didn't fix the issue.Noticed errors in Event Viewer; couldn't...