Windows 10: Windows 10 Clone Problems

Discus and support Windows 10 Clone Problems in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm tearing my hair out trying to clone my OS from a Samsung 850 EVO (500gb) to a Samsung 840 (500gb). My system has the 850 as the primary boot drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by doberschelp, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Clone Problems

I'm tearing my hair out trying to clone my OS from a Samsung 850 EVO (500gb) to a Samsung 840 (500gb). My system has the 850 as the primary boot drive with a WD 2TB HD for data storage. The Samsung 840 is connected via USB 3.0. I thought this would be easy, using similar SSDs, but Macrium Reflect, Acronis True Image 2019, Samsung Data Migration, MiniTool Partition, and the Windows 10 Backup all failed at different points with conflicting errors. DSKCHK /F was run on both drives and found no errors. I've disabled my anti-virus program with no joy. Memory checks out OK. My system OS finally became corrupted and I had to run Windows repair in order to boot again. I'm lost, tired, frustrated and don't want to corrupt my OS again. When I initially upgraded Win 7 to Win 10 the cloning went perfectly. Something obviously changed but I can't figure out what. Can anyone suggest a fix?Thanks, Dave

:)

doberschelp, Jan 30, 2019
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Jan 30, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 30, 2019
  4. cadaveca Win User

Windows 10 Clone Problems

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Jan 30, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Clone Problems

1. Windows 10 Clone Problems - Similar Threads - Clone Problems

2. PRoblems cloning an NVMe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PRoblems cloning an NVMe: I asked about this on Bleeping Computer two days ago, but didn't get a reply.I'm trying to clone a 250GB NVMe boot to a 2TB NVMe. I've done this successfully four times before, but I.m having problems this time, The other times I used a fresh new drive, this time I'm trying...
  3. PRoblems cloning an NVMe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PRoblems cloning an NVMe: I asked about this on Bleeping Computer two days ago, but didn't get a reply.I'm trying to clone a 250GB NVMe boot to a 2TB NVMe. I've done this successfully four times before, but I.m having problems this time, The other times I used a fresh new drive, this time I'm trying...
  4. Problems with Edge and File Explorer, after cloning Window 10 on to a larger SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems with Edge and File Explorer, after cloning Window 10 on to a larger SSD: Hi - I'm having trouble with Windows 10, after cloning the OS from a 240GB SSD to a larger 1TB SSD.I have performed the cloning process twice now, with 2 completely different cloning apps first Macrium Reflect, then DiskGenius, and each time the result is exactly the...
  5. Problems with Edge and File Explorer, after cloning Window 10 on to a larger SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with Edge and File Explorer, after cloning Window 10 on to a larger SSD: Hi - I'm having trouble with Windows 10, after cloning the OS from a 240GB SSD to a larger 1TB SSD.I have performed the cloning process twice now, with 2 completely different cloning apps first Macrium Reflect, then DiskGenius, and each time the result is exactly the...
  6. Problems with Edge and File Explorer, after cloning Window 10 on to a larger SSD

7. Windows 11 many problems after cloning on new disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 many problems after cloning on new disk: Hello,I have recently cloned the original hard drive of my notebook on a new disk. I removed the old hard disk, placed it in a USB adapter, physically installed the new one and then painfully failed to clone it with all the softwares. Only after 1 removing the read-only mode...
  8. Windows 11 many problems after cloning on new disk

Windows 11 many problems after cloning on new disk: Hello,I have recently cloned the original hard drive of my notebook on a new disk. I removed the old hard disk, placed it in a USB adapter, physically installed the new one and then painfully failed to clone it with all the softwares. Only after 1 removing the read-only mode...
  9. If i tried cloning windows from hdd to ssd will i encounter any problems?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If i tried cloning windows from hdd to ssd will i encounter any problems?: If i tried cloning windows from hdd to ssd will i encounter any problems? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-tried-cloning-windows-from-hdd-to-ssd-will-i/2c0ba69c-bbd7-4503-a14a-6fdfdaf910db
  10. If i tried cloning windows from hdd to ssd will i encounter any problems?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If i tried cloning windows from hdd to ssd will i encounter any problems?: If i tried cloning windows from hdd to ssd will i encounter any problems? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-tried-cloning-windows-from-hdd-to-ssd-will-i/2c0ba69c-bbd7-4503-a14a-6fdfdaf910db