Windows 10: Windows 10 Cloning / transfer to new hardware w/o reformat?

Discus and support Windows 10 Cloning / transfer to new hardware w/o reformat? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, Pardon the rambling nature of this post. Also, yes, I do know I could just do a full reinstall...maybe? OK, explanation - my brother's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Darkstrike, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Cloning / transfer to new hardware w/o reformat?

Hi all,

Pardon the rambling nature of this post. Also, yes, I do know I could just do a full reinstall...maybe?

OK, explanation - my brother's desktop is dead. All signs point to the motherboard as it restarts constantly and randomly within 30 seconds to 2 minutes after boot. Different RAM, NO RAM, a different power supply, blowing out all the dust and reseating everything makes no difference.

Long story short, we're looking into ordering a new CPU/RAM/motherboard for his desktop PC and re-using the rest of his parts. His current main HDD is an IDE and his secondary is a SATA.

The new machine would have to have a SATA main HDD, which is fine as I have one laying around I can use (newer mobos don't have IDE ports anymore, of course). Would I be able to clone his exact Win10 install to the new drive and boot into it successfully? His Win10 copy was a 'free upgrade period' install upgraded from Win7 and it is a legitimate copy, of course. He has the copy linked to his MS account, so I've read I should be able to reactivate it if I get the new parts and boot into it...?

Does Win10 have the same issues as older copies of Windows when swapping the hard drive into different/new hardware that is drastically different like a motherboard?

Long story short...I guess I want to know if I should be able to clone the install to a new drive and then boot straight into Windows and reactivate it as if nothing ever happened? I know I will, of course, have to reinstall drivers for the new motherboard....but is the fact the old drivers for the old motherboard, etc will still be there going to screw things up?

Any thoughts or help is appreciated! *Smile Also, before I get the aforementioned 'why don't you just reformat it' comment, he has some old software he has lost the install media for and has no way to get it back, so a reformat would mean he loses that needed software...

Thanks so much in advance! *Smile

:)

Darkstrike, Sep 10, 2017

2. Windows 10 Upgrade Error Code: 80073B92-20009

Can confirm it works. Have made a 5 attempts to upgrade Win 8.1 to 10, but no avail - error
    80073b92-20009.. Recognized 8.1 was cloned on a new SSD but old HDD remained in a system and kept bootable. Removed old HDD and upgraded windows w/o any problem. Good luck to everybody!

AlexanderGalaktionov, Sep 10, 2017
  3. Can not update Windows 10 due to the disk space

Hi,

if u want to transfer from one disk to another disk. kindly follow this URL.

https://www.backup-utility.com/clone/transfer-o...

Please let me know, if that helps.

Kind Regards:

Engr. Malik Yasir

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Sep 10, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Windows 10 Cloning / transfer to new hardware w/o reformat?

Windows 10 is pretty good at sorting drivers so fair chance it would work.

cereberus, Sep 10, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    Make sure that it's possible to connect to internet by wire after you switch parts so it can "pull" drivers if needed.

CountMike, Sep 10, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can use one of these to accomplish the copying/cloning:
    https://www.amazon.com/New-SATA-S-AT...rds=ide+to+usb

You will have to use the computer's power supply unit to power the hard drive. Unless you buy a conversion kit that includes an external power supply.

NavyLCDR, Sep 10, 2017
  7. CountMike New Member
    Yes, I have something like that but no need for that in this case because new and old are staying in the computer anyway.

CountMike, Sep 10, 2017
  8. Windows 10 Cloning / transfer to new hardware w/o reformat?

I usually clone by plugging the drive into another computer with a USB adapter and then using CloneZilla to copy everything over.

Darkstrike, Sep 10, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    The old hard drive with the OS is IDE. The old computer does not seem to be staying on long enough to image the IDE hard drive onto a SATA drive. The new motherboard is very unlikely to have an IDE interface on it.

NavyLCDR, Sep 10, 2017
  10. Exactly...my brother's machine restarts at random somewhere in the window of 2 minutes (usually restarts after like 10 seconds).

Despite removing the RAM completely, swapping the RAM, blowing all the dust out, swapping the power supply....reseating the video card....it's still doing the restarting, so I am thinking it's a motherboard issue. Doubtful it's the CPU as usually when those go, the machine won't boot at all PERIOD - my brother's SOMETIMES boots enough for me to even get into the BIOS, but it usually restarts somewhere when I am in there, or just after I manage to get it start booting into Windows. If the CPU was borked, it wouldn't get that far.

Darkstrike, Sep 11, 2017
  11. CountMike New Member
    Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about my system.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Cloning / transfer to new hardware w/o reformat?

1. Windows 10 Cloning / transfer to new hardware w/o reformat? - Similar Threads - Cloning transfer hardware

2. Transfer Windows 10 Retail License to new hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows 10 Retail License to new hardware: I started a hardware upgrade project recently with the intention of upgrading the motherboard and CPU. During a partial disassembly I realized I would need to buy a new case and also that I can't get the hard drive fully out of the plastic tray it was mounted in. The original...
  3. Transfer Windows 10 Retail License to new hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer Windows 10 Retail License to new hardware: I started a hardware upgrade project recently with the intention of upgrading the motherboard and CPU. During a partial disassembly I realized I would need to buy a new case and also that I can't get the hard drive fully out of the plastic tray it was mounted in. The original...
  4. Windows 10 is s ... l ... o ... w ...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 is s ... l ... o ... w ...: I use my Windows 7 computer whenever possible, ie, not at work.To wait 15 minutes for the Windows 7 disk to grind thru files whenever I power on or wake from sleep is ridiculous.Looking at Linux and Mac....
  5. Windows 10 activation w/o internet

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 activation w/o internet: How do I activate win 10 without internet. Is there a phone number? I have the product key. Bought the PC from someone else, had to reset it. Don't have internet available. Thanks!...
  6. Transfer Windows 10 to new hardware then buy new license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 to new hardware then buy new license: Hi. I have an Asus video editing laptop to sell. I plan to reset it so the buyer has the Win 10 Home license that is linked to the motherboard. Before resetting, I'd like to move the Win 10 install to a new desktop faster hardware and then activate/pay for the new Windows...
  7. Install Win 10 on a new system w/o DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Win 10 on a new system w/o DVD: I have a bit of a screw up that I'm trying to resolve. I'm remotely trying to help my grandson build a PC (remote due to COVID). He has ordered all the components including a Win 10 64 Home DVD. Now that we are getting into the detail, I see that the PC case he has ordered...
  8. Unable to reformat my laptop w/ Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to reformat my laptop w/ Windows 10: I am unable to reformat my laptop using the "Reset PC" options under "Recovery" in the Settings menu. I am able to do all the steps but when the machine is about to perform the actual cleansing of my laptop back to factory settings, like a brand new device, It suddenly says...
  9. ReFormat and New Windows 10

ReFormat and New Windows 10: I upgraded to Windows 10 when it was initially released and Microsoft was offering free upgrades from previous editions of Windows. I have reformatted a few times since then and never had any problems. Recently I have been upgrading different components of my computer...
  10. Transfer installation to new hardware

Transfer installation to new hardware: I'm upgrading to a new ASUS motherboard, new chipset (x79 to x99) and a new processor. I'm going to try to run my current Windows 10 installation (a retail copy - not OEM) without reinstalling from scratch. On the previous install (after backing everything up) I removed...