Windows 10: Windows 10 close lid do nothing not working they way it used to

Discus and support Windows 10 close lid do nothing not working they way it used to in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; HP Omen laptop + external monitor. W10 1903. When I shut my laptop lid, now it shuts off my laptop monitor (does not detect both) and shifts desktop to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/slungshite, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Windows 10 close lid do nothing not working they way it used to

HP Omen laptop + external monitor. W10 1903. When I shut my laptop lid, now it shuts off my laptop monitor (does not detect both) and shifts desktop to the external screen. Not super helpful for watching netflix and keeping the lid closed. It seems like it's ignoring the option of 'doing nothing' when I close my laptop. Anyone have similar issue and know when this changed and how to stop it from happening?

submitted by /u/slungshite
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/slungshite, Dec 23, 2019
  2. Naveen_M Win User

Using External Monitors with lid closed

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand how difficult it is, when the device doesn't work in the way it should. I appreciate the troubleshooting steps that you've tried so far. For us to isolate the issue and to assist you further, we'd like to ask you a few questions.

1. What is the make and the model number of the laptop?

2. Which build version of Windows 10 are you using?

Method 1: Update the display adapter driver.

Since this setup was working before, I'd suggest to update the display adapter drivers. If you have a dedicated graphic card, I'd suggest you to update it from the graphic card manufacturer website and check. If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2: Set Lid close action to Do nothing and check.

1. Click on Start icon.

2. Type Power and press Enter.

3. Click on Additional power settings.

4. Click on Change plan settings next to the plan that you are using.

5. Click on Change advanced power settings.

6. Expand Power buttons and lid.

7. Set Lid close action to Do nothing.

8. Click on Apply and OK.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Naveen M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Naveen_M, Dec 23, 2019
  3. Win 10 - computer won't lock or sleep when lid is closed

Hi Shari,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Please follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1: Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.

• Select on Control Panel.

• Click on Power Options. On the left, click on "Choose what closing the lid does". Click on the drop down menu for "When I close the lid" and choose "Sleep" or "Hibernate.

Method 2: I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.

Method 3: If the above method doesn’t help, I would suggest you to
    reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back with their default settings. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Let us know if the issue is resolved or if you require further assistance.

ThofikhAhamad, Dec 23, 2019
  4. Windows 10 close lid do nothing not working they way it used to

Windows 10 lock on lid close

Hi there!

I'm trying to achieve locking of my Windows 10 laptop (Build 14393) on lid closing. I did a lot of research and all I found can be summarized in two groups:

It would be great if this small feature is going to be implemented in some of the next Windows 10 versions together with the "Do Nothing", "Sleep", "Hibernate", etc. options, but until then I think I'll be ok with the task scheduler solution (if there is working one
    of course), too.

So, if anyone else had the same problem, please share your experience Windows 10 close lid do nothing not working they way it used to :)

Best,

Radoslav

RadoslavStoyanov, Dec 23, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 close lid do nothing not working they way it used to

1. Windows 10 close lid do nothing not working they way it used to - Similar Threads - close lid nothing

2. Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...: i know this has been asked about 5,000 times but i cannot seem to resolve the issue. My setup includes a windows 10 machine and two HDMI monitors connected via a docking station. when i close my laptop one of the monitors no longer receives a signal and goes black. I have had...
  3. Windows 10 Education - closing lid set to 'do nothing' doesn't work

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Education - closing lid set to 'do nothing' doesn't work: Typically, when I close the lid on my laptop, whatever is on the display moved to one of two external monitors. Today, my display froze, and I restarted. When I restarted, my monitor position had changed in the settings, and now, when I close my laptop, whatever is on the...
  4. Windows 10 Education - closing lid set to 'do nothing' doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Education - closing lid set to 'do nothing' doesn't work: Typically, when I close the lid on my laptop, whatever is on the display moved to one of two external monitors. Today, my display froze, and I restarted. When I restarted, my monitor position had changed in the settings, and now, when I close my laptop, whatever is on the...
  5. Windows 10 Education - closing lid set to 'do nothing' doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Closing laptop lid does nothing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Closing laptop lid does nothing: I have tried changing the settings in control panels, updated all the drivers and even clean installed a new copy of windows 10 but nothing seems to work. The thing is the laptop goes to sleep when power button is pressed but does nothing when the lid is closed. I have an HP...
  7. Windows 10 closing lid set to 'do nothing' doesn't work

Windows 10 closing lid set to 'do nothing' doesn't work: Hello, I'm trying to use my windows laptop with an external monitor but I'm having some problems. I want to close the lid of my laptop while continue working only on my external monitor. So i set the settings of 'choose what closing the lid does' to 'do nothing' but it...
  8. Closing the lid; do nothing

Closing the lid; do nothing: I'm trying to keep my laptop screen from turning off when I close the lid. I changed the settings in the Power Options under "When I close the lid, Plugged in" from sleep to Do Nothing my laptop is always plugged in. However, despite this, the screen still blacks out when I...
  9. Windows 10 - Power Setting - Closing Lid / With Power Do Nothing - Doesn't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - Power Setting - Closing Lid / With Power Do Nothing - Doesn't work: Hi - I've a Windows 10 Laptop with an external monitor. I've set the Power Setting for Closing the Lid to Do Nothing. But it's not working. The external monitor does not come on. I have to open the Laptop lid to get the desktop to show on the external monitor....
  10. Do nothing when the lid is closed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do nothing when the lid is closed: I have an laptop with a tv as an monitor. My question is, Can i perform an feature update, with the power option do nothing when the lid is closed? Or do i have to keep the lid open all the time...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lid do nothing not working

2. close the lid do nothing not working