Windows 10: Windows 10 COM Surrogate turns on and off repeatedly, pulling focus from active window

Discus and support Windows 10 COM Surrogate turns on and off repeatedly, pulling focus from active window in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; At random times throughout the day ... most often when my Lenovo P50 laptop comes out of sleep, or an application is opened (but not always), a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Timothy Retasson, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Windows 10 COM Surrogate turns on and off repeatedly, pulling focus from active window

At random times throughout the day ... most often when my Lenovo P50 laptop comes out of sleep, or an application is opened (but not always), a background process named "COM Surrogate" will pull focus away from the active window for about a second, then return it, then pull it, then return it, etc. This can continue for a few seconds, or as much as 30-45 seconds. During this time, every time the process pulls focus away from the active window, the title bar of the window will go gray, and any typing that is happening at the time will not be recorded. For instance if I am typing "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their county." the application might display "w istime all gmen ome aid oir cy" skipping any characters that were typed while focus was pulled away from the active window.

Dragging a window or trying to select an item from a dropdown menu while this is happening will return the window to its original location or close the dropdown menu.

While this is happening, I can view the COM Surrogate process appearing and disappearing in the Task Manager Processes window under Background processes.

I have also found that if, while the process is pulling focus, I copy (Ctrl-C), and then later paste into a text reader, the following is what was copied:

[Window Title]
    COM Surrogate

[Main Instruction]
    COM Surrogate has stopped working

[Content]
    Windows is checking for a solution to the problem...

[Cancel]

I have found only one way to reproduce a portion of this problem consistently under all circumstances. If in the Task Bar I click on the search icon (magnifying glass), the COM Surrogate process will pull focus away once only.

This behavior has occurred since the installation of Windows 10, and only since then.

This appears to be exactly the problem that user KevinM267 had in the now locked thread in the community forum that can be found by searching: "windows-10-com-surrogate-turns-on-and-off"

In my case, I have looked for solutions and have tried an article on WindowsReport that can be found by searching "Fix Problems with COM Surrogate on Windows 10"

Options 5, 9, 4, 6 were tried, including:

Adding COM Surrogate to Data Execution Prevention exclusion list

Switch to List or Details view / disable thumbnails

Disable thumbnails and use Process Monitor to find problematic file

Re-register dll files using Command Prompt

I have also followed the recommendation of Yashwanth Kotakuri in the previous Microsoft Community post, disabling services and performing a Clean Boot.

In all cases, the problem eventually returned.

Can anyone provide a solution or a suggestion for troubleshooting tips?

:)

Timothy Retasson, Oct 24, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 24, 2018
  3. Windows 10 COM Surrogate turns on and off repeatedly

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Did you made any changes to your PC?
    • Is your PC up to date with Windows Updates?

Component Object Model (COM) is Microsoft's framework for developing and supporting program component object. This COM Surrogate point to a process dllhost.exe. The true dllhost.exe file is a safe Microsoft Windows system process, called "COM Surrogate.
    You can only see the appearance of COM Surrogate in Task Manager, when an instance related to it running in background or in front. Say for example, when you launch Task Manager, you can see immediate appearance of COM Surrogate under Background Processes.
    It indicates that an instance that related to COM Surrogate has been trigged while launching Task Manager. At the same time you can also see dllhost.exe process running under Details tab in task manager.

In view of the same, disappearing of COM Surrogate in task manager, doesn't mean that there is some issue with your system performance. So, you can see appearance of COM Surrogate in Task Manager, when an instance process related to it has been triggered
    or when it is running in background.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Oct 24, 2018
  4. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 COM Surrogate turns on and off repeatedly, pulling focus from active window

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Oct 24, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 COM Surrogate turns on and off repeatedly, pulling focus from active window

1. Windows 10 COM Surrogate turns on and off repeatedly, pulling focus from active window - Similar Threads - COM Surrogate turns

2. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM Surrogate: My english is not very good i hope you dont mind, anyways i have this problem where COM Surrogate is using about 90% of my GPU, I can close is however it appears again, and when i delete it it appears in C:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Roaming\ac2c2914-db85-ba9a-1a65-a8cafbdf3a8c, it...
  3. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COM Surrogate: I have been receiving the following error quite frequently, especially when I run disk cleanup. "COM Surrogate has stopped working". I have Windows 8.1 Pro. Can anyone advise me what this error represents and if I should be concerned about it?...
  4. COM Surrogate

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    COM Surrogate: Is it bad that I have three COM Surrogate showing up on Task Manager? Someone said its a virus. I also have Antivirus called BitDefender please someone help this is only new laptop, I dont want viruses!...
  5. COM Surrogate

COM Surrogate: Gostaria de saber se isso é um virus ou um programa legivel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/com-surrogate/78136555-aabd-40e5-ae6e-d2acdf4ccdad
  6. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Customization
    COM Surrogate: A Window that keeps popping up once a day called COM Surrogate in Task Manager and its really starting to annoy me. The window says "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create...
  7. COM Surrogate?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    COM Surrogate?: I downloaded a JPG file and resized it, I have done this a million times. After saving it ballooned to 300MB and would not let me upload to the site I usually do, go to delete the file and it says cannot delete file because of COM surrogate. I stopped COM surrogate and then...
  8. COM surrogate

COM surrogate: I logged on this morning and CMD automatically opened. I became concerned because nothing like this usually happens, so i opened task manager after researching reasons why this may occur and discovering that it may be caused by malware. i saw that a couple programs labelled...
  9. Com Surrogate

Com Surrogate: Hi! This days my computer shows a window that I never saw before about COM Surrogate. It says Windows Security in the name bar above but I don't thrust. What it is? It's a virus?...
  10. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Support
    COM Surrogate: I'm trying to delete a file or remove personal picture information from a *.jpg, but I'm told that "The action can't be completed because the file is open in COM Surrogate." What is going on? 31943

Users found this page by searching for:

1. com surrogate windows 10 lenovo