Windows 10: Windows 10 Command Prompt Shortcuts

Discus and support Windows 10 Command Prompt Shortcuts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I execute the following shortcut from the command prompt in Windows 10: explorer.exe shell:appsFolder\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bill Raleigh, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Command Prompt Shortcuts

I execute the following shortcut from the command prompt in Windows 10:

explorer.exe shell:appsFolder\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App

and it works fine. The new Windows Photos app main page shows up, ready to be used.

I want to pass a file name as an argument (say abc.jpg) so that the app opens with that file image.
    I have 2 questions:

1. Is that possible?
    2. If yes, what is the correct syntax to pass the argument?

Thanks for your help.

:)

Bill Raleigh, Sep 12, 2015

2. Windows 10 Command Prompt Shortcuts

It is not possible. The universal/store apps do not accept any command line arguments.

A_User_Here, Sep 12, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Command Prompt Shortcuts

Thanks. I had tried almost every syntax I could find without success before posting this question and I was almost sure that was the answer.

Bill Raleigh, Sep 12, 2015
  4. davexnet Win User

Windows 10 Command Prompt Shortcuts

In earlier versions of Windows, just putting it at the end of the target line worked:
    eg. explorer.exe shell:appsFolder\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App "mypic.jpg"

davexnet, Sep 13, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Doesn't work for me, just opens explorer.exe.

Ztruker, Sep 13, 2015
  6. Why so much work to perform such a simple task?

TechnoMage, Sep 13, 2015
  7. I posted the same question in Microsoft Windows 10 forum and the answer I got is:
    "It is not possible. The universal/store apps do not accept any command line arguments."

Why? I was trying to give the users of a VB program the ability to edit an image using the app by clicking on the image.

Bill Raleigh, Sep 13, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

What about right clicking on the image and select Open with ...

Ztruker, Sep 14, 2015
  9. If you're using VB and you select an image, it will open with the default application that is associated with the file extension. For example, from the Start RUN, I typed in c:\temp\test.jpg and hit enter. It opened the file with MsPaint, which was my default for jpg files. I then switched the default of jpg files to use the photo viewer and this time when I typed in c:\temp\test.jpg the file opend with the photo viewer. Again, I did this from a Windows 7 workstation and will try this experiment tonight using a Windows 10 workstation...but I expect the same results.

play2mefish, Sep 14, 2015
  10. Play2mefish:
    You are correct, but I am not using a VB program, I am trying to improve a VB program I wrote. In VB, as in any other language, to determine what happens when a user clicks on anything you need to code it.
    So even if typing c:\test.jpg in the RUN line works, as long as the default program for jpg file is the Photos App, it does not work that way in VB code.
    However, your suggestion, and Ztruker's, pointed me towards a solution. Buttons in VB have a HyperlinkAddress property and if I make it c:\test.jpg it does work when the user clicks on the button, as long as the default program for jpg file is the Photos App. This is not a very flexible or elegant solution, but it is one.
    Thank all for your time.

Bill Raleigh, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Command Prompt Shortcuts - Similar Threads - Command Prompt Shortcuts

2. Command Prompt Shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command Prompt Shortcut: Why don't we have a direct shortcut to open the command prompt cmd in windows ?The closest way i find opening cmd is using Win + R to open the run window and then typing "cmd" to open the cmd window, or by pressing Win Key then searching for cmd and opening an admin cmd...
  3. Command Prompt Shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Command Prompt Shortcut: Why don't we have a direct shortcut to open the command prompt cmd in windows ?The closest way i find opening cmd is using Win + R to open the run window and then typing "cmd" to open the cmd window, or by pressing Win Key then searching for cmd and opening an admin cmd...
  4. Command Prompt Shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Command Prompt Shortcut: Language Input

Command Prompt Shortcut: Language Input: Shortcut Creation: I am trying to create a shortcut that will help me in optimizing my switching between language inputs. I have downloaded the necessary language packs and know the shortcuts for opening a virtual keyboard Windows Key + ctrl + o along with the shortcut for...
  6. Command Prompt Shortcut: Language Input

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command Prompt Shortcut: Language Input: Shortcut Creation: I am trying to create a shortcut that will help me in optimizing my switching between language inputs. I have downloaded the necessary language packs and know the shortcuts for opening a virtual keyboard Windows Key + ctrl + o along with the shortcut for...
  7. How to Run commands of Command Prompt with a Desktop Shortcut

in Windows 10 News
    How to Run commands of Command Prompt with a Desktop Shortcut: [ATTACH]Opening the Command Prompt and running some commands every time is somewhat a tedious job. Are you also bored of using it constantly? If yes, […] This article How to Run commands of Command Prompt with a Desktop Shortcut first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  8. Need to make a command prompt shortcut

Need to make a command prompt shortcut: Hi, I'm really struggling with command prompt right now, it doesn't make any sense, and I have found ZERO info through repeated Google searches. I'm on Windows 10 and for some reason my Photoshop CS6 refuses to open and throws the stupid "This app has been blocked for...
  9. commands in command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    commands in command prompt: is there a full list of DOS style Commands buried somewhere in win10 i try CHKDSK and get nowhere with the command unless I'm typing it wrong. but there are a few otthers i would be interested in as well. 54240
  10. Create Elevated Command Prompt Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Elevated Command Prompt Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Elevated Command Prompt Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands in an elevated command prompt, you can perform tasks that require administrator...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shell:appsfolder\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App arguments

2. do windows 10 shortcuts support command line arguments