Windows 10: Windows 10 compatibility mode not working for a Steam program.

Discus and support Windows 10 compatibility mode not working for a Steam program. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I'm trying to get Don't Starve to work consistently without going through the whole shebang of going to steam, right click, properties, local files,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Kazoomie, Aug 13, 2019 at 1:47 PM.

1. Kazoomie Win User

Windows 10 compatibility mode not working for a Steam program.

I'm trying to get Don't Starve to work consistently without going through the whole shebang of going to steam, right click, properties, local files, browse, bin, find the application, right click, properties, compatibility, troubleshooter then finally test application in order to play it instead of steam, scroll, left click. This needs to be redone every single time. The weird part is that the compatibility mode box is checked with Windows 8 but it has to be done with the troubleshooter only. I have no idea what's going on and I can't really find anything else about this problem.

:)

2. 'The program was started in compatibility mode' during launching Onecklicstarter

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

If the program you are referring to is written to work with older version of Windows, Windows 10 will still try to run the program in Compatibility Mode. Program compatibility is a mode in Windows that lets you run programs written for earlier versions of
    Windows.

I suggest you to reinstall the program in Compatibility mode and check if it helps. follow the below steps.

• Right click the setup file for the program, this can be designated as
      setup.exe or something similar. Click Troubleshoot Compatibility
      to launch the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter wizard which will check for issues.

• Select the option “Troubleshoot program”
      and depending on the problems you are experiencing when attempting to install or use the software, check off the problems. Click on Next.

• Select a version of Windows the program is known to work in.

• Click on Next and then follow the on screen instructions.

If the issue still persist, you need to contact the software vendor and check for the latest updates to make the program run on Windows 10.

Let us know the results.

3. Windows 10 broke my steam

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Method 1: Try updating the Video card drivers and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to update the Video card driver:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
    • Right-click on the Video card listed and click on ‘Update Driver Software’.

Method 2: Try installing the game in Compatibility mode and check.

Follow the steps to install in Compatibility mode:

• Right click the Game setup file and select Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab.
    • Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
    • Tap or click the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click OK.
    • Try installing the Game and check.

If still the issue persist then I suggest you to follow the suggestion provided by crazzilla replied on August 3, 2015 from the below link and check if it helps.

Windows 10 & Steam Gaming - most games broke

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

4. Windows 10 compatibility mode not working for a Steam program.

Steam Games not working on windows 10

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

I suggest you to try uninstalling and re-installing the games in compatibility mode and check if that helps. Try the below mentioned steps and check if it helps:

• Go to the location where you had saved your downloaded setup files and
      right click
      , then select Properties.
    • Select Compatibility Tab.
    • Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list.
    • Let it install and then check the functionality.
    See for reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Note: Link provided works for Windows 10.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need more information and we'll be happy to assist you.

Navneet Anand, Aug 13, 2019 at 1:49 PM
Thema:

Windows 10 compatibility mode not working for a Steam program.

1. Windows 10 compatibility mode not working for a Steam program. - Similar Threads - compatibility mode working

2. Windows 10 compatibility mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 compatibility mode: Does Windows 10 have a compatibility mode to allow older games to be installed and run on a Windows 10 machine? If so, how is it enabled? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-compatibility-mode/95d8ebd3-05e0-464d-b3bc-7a97e8503801
  3. not compatable program

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    not compatable program: I downloaded PLEX MEDIA SERVER + PLEX MEDIA PLAYER, but can't get them to open [error codes] it seems i have to have xp service pack 3, i'm on win 10 and the plex website clearly states win 10 download. it seems the 2 prog aren't compatible any help you can provide pleasep...
  4. Compatibility mode issues on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Compatibility mode issues on Windows 10: Hi- I am attempting to install Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2013 onto a desktop PC that is running Windows 10. The issue I am experiencing is that ALL attempts to run the installer result in a popup window that states the following: "Windows Program Compatibility mode...
  5. Steam not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steam not working: OKAY so basically it wont connect to steam and let me go online. its not an issue with steams software or my network ive tested. its probably an issue with windows 10. please help...
  6. Opinions: Why Steam doesn't list Windows 10 for compatibility

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opinions: Why Steam doesn't list Windows 10 for compatibility: Now this isn't Steam, but I regularly check the store and notice that even the most popular games (like GTA V, Turbo Dismount, Skyrim, etc) only list Windows 8.1 as the most recent compatible OS, even though many people play those games on Windows 10 without a hitch. Any...
  7. Compatibility mode

Compatibility mode: I keep getting a window popup saying this program started in compatibility mode ...where is it and how do I turn it off? 14680
  8. Compatibility mode

Compatibility mode: I'm doing some research on an old application that I'm taking care of. As of Windows 8, it works if the Windows compatibility mode is se to "Windows 7" and I confirmed it also works if I set the compatibility mode on Windows 10. That problem I'm facing is that, I need to...
  9. Problem running old XP program in Compatibility Mode

Problem running old XP program in Compatibility Mode: I have an old XP program, xReminder Pro, that I have been using for many years. I am currently running it in Compatibility Mode on Windows 7 and it runs fine. On my Windows 10 test machine, this program will install and run from a "manual" start in Compatibility Mode (Windows...
  10. Compatibility mode

Compatibility mode: Hi I have had programs in the past that I love to either use or games to play even some older MS games and they refuse to load on new operating systems. Why is it when I try and run the program in Compatibility mode for say XP it refuses to run the program. I don't...