Windows 10: Windows 10 Compatibility Mode White Paper.. What exactly is going on

Discus and support Windows 10 Compatibility Mode White Paper.. What exactly is going on in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So we have some proprietary software that was written originally for Windows 98. Long story short, we have performance issues running it on windows 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by EddieNEWMAN1, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Compatibility Mode White Paper.. What exactly is going on

So we have some proprietary software that was written originally for Windows 98. Long story short, we have performance issues running it on windows 10. When we run it in any compatibility mode (win7 or earlier), the program runs perfect.

My question is, does anyone have a white paper explaining the exactly what features, DLL's, etc are being utilized when running in say windows 7 compatability mode vs just native windows 10? I know it is essentially a shell, or emulator, however I am trying to find out the exact changes so that I can present that to our programmers in order for them to fix their old software. Getting these guys to do anything is like trying to get a sloth to run fast, so I need to find some sort of documentation that explains the changes so that they can then begin updating their software.

By the way, they are using an old Borland C++ compiler, written for 98, and refuse to use a new compiler.... This is the kind of BS I am up against...

Any help in this battle would be greatly appreciated!!

-Eddie

:)

EddieNEWMAN1, Feb 28, 2019

2. Windows 10 compatability with Paper Port 14

I have Paper Port 14 and am afraid to upgrade to windows 10 from Windows 7 SP1. I don't want to cause myself a huge headache that will take hours to fix. I hear that there are compatability problems with Paper Port 14 Professional and windows 10. Windows
    7 works fine for me at this point. Any suggestions from you all?

SusanApril, Feb 28, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Game Compatibility

Hello Debie,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

There are some programs that need new definitions compatible with Windows 10. Till the time they are unavailable you can install the programs compatible with previous versions of operating system in compatibility mode. If you can access the executable (.exe)
    file for the game, I would suggest you to follow the below provided steps:

Step 1: Download and save the game on the desktop.

Step 2: Install the game in compatibility mode.

• Right click on the .exe file, and click on Properties.
    • Go to the Compatibility tab.
    • Check the box for Run this program in compatibility mode for:
    • Select Windows 8 (or any other compatible OS) in the list of Operating systems.
    • Click OK.
    • Double-click the executable file to install the game and follow the onscreen instructions.
    • Reboot your computer.
    Additional information:

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Feb 28, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Compatibility Mode White Paper.. What exactly is going on

Windows 10 Compatibility

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about compatibility of the driver on Windows 10.

I suggest you to refer to the below link and check if the driver is compatible.

Refer:
    Windows Compatibility Center

If not compatible, I suggest you to install the driver in compatibility mode on Windows 10.

You can install Windows 8/8.1 drivers in compatibility mode if there are no Windows 10 compatible drivers.

Follow the steps to install in Compatibility mode:

• Download the updated driver from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right click the driver installation file and select
      Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab.
    • Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
    • Tap the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click
      OK.
    • Try installing the driver and check.

Hope it helps. Kindly let us know if you need further assistance with Windows Operating System. We will be glad to assist you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Compatibility Mode White Paper.. What exactly is going on

1. Windows 10 Compatibility Mode White Paper.. What exactly is going on - Similar Threads - Compatibility Mode White

2. what exactly is going on here?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what exactly is going on here?: for some reason another update installed itself on automatic and now the default app microsoft photos is displaying pixelated images? also it's impossible to do anything regarding the app since it can't be uninstalled...
  3. what exactly is going on here?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what exactly is going on here?: for some reason another update installed itself on automatic and now the default app microsoft photos is displaying pixelated images? also it's impossible to do anything regarding the app since it can't be uninstalled...
  4. Compatibility Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compatibility Mode in Windows 10: I have been running Windows Live Mail on a Sony Vaio for a good few years, originally on Windows 7 but on Windows 10 for the last 2-3 years. I have now upgraded to a Microsoft Surface Pro and have copied the Windows Live Mail directories but when I try to run it nothing...
  5. Windows 10 Bitlocker to go compatibility

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Bitlocker to go compatibility: I used Bitlocker to go to encrypt my USB drive on Windows 10 PC. Then tried to access the drive on other Windows platforms, i.e. Windows Server 2016, 2012 and Windows 7. All failed. On Server 2016 and 2012, after I inserted the USB drive. It did not automatically prompt me...
  6. windows 10 compatibility mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 compatibility mode: [ATTACH] when i go to the properties tab of grand theft auto 3 to try to run it in compatibility mode the option doesn't pop up no compatibility mode submitted by /u/Aidensully_04 [link] [comments]...
  7. White piece of paper on icons

in Windows 10 Support
    White piece of paper on icons: Well, this is new. Anyone know how to fix this that I'm sure was caused by me. LOL! [img] - - - Updated - - - Nevermind. Fixed it!! 157879
  8. Windows 10 compatibility mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 compatibility mode: Does Windows 10 have a compatibility mode to allow older games to be installed and run on a Windows 10 machine? If so, how is it enabled? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-compatibility-mode/95d8ebd3-05e0-464d-b3bc-7a97e8503801
  9. windows 10 not recognising my kindle paper white

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows 10 not recognising my kindle paper white: on windows 7, I had no problems but since updating to windows 10 it does not recognise my USB connection. I have tried various USB ports but as soon as I connect I get the notification " USB not recognised ".*Confused 29709
  10. White paper icons and empty folders!?

in Windows 10 Support
    White paper icons and empty folders!?: Hello, I have windows 10 home operating system on my laptop I have a problem with my file folder. when I first open it it shows that it works fine. [img] However I've notice that on the left I see the OS and D drive as white icons. When i access any folders and then...