Windows 10: Windows 10 compatibility setting issue

Discus and support Windows 10 compatibility setting issue in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Dear Community! I have a strange issue with the Windows 10 compatibility mode. (Running Win 10 Pro 64bit, with the latest updates) We have an old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Tamas Galosi, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Windows 10 compatibility setting issue

Dear Community!

I have a strange issue with the Windows 10 compatibility mode. (Running Win 10 Pro 64bit, with the latest updates)
    We have an old application installed on a Windows 2008 VM and we run it on client PCs via a share. (No installation, just creating a shortcut)
    It worked flawless on Windows 7, but when I tried to set it up on Windows 10, I got the following error message:
    "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)"
    I changed the compatibility manually to Windows 7 and I had the same result.

But now comes the interesting part. If I run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter,
    it suggests to use Win 7 mode and when I click on the "Test the program..."
    it starts up fine! Though when I choose after the test, to "Yes, save these settings for this program"

again I get back to the same error message. So the question is, why the settings not applied?

(Seemingly applied as checkbox is ticked and Win 7 is chosen)

Or what else does this Troubleshooter change that the software runs while testing, and why doesn't not
    run the same way afterwards?

THX,
    Tamas

:)

Tamas Galosi, Oct 5, 2018
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Oct 5, 2018
  3. Compatibility issues in Windows 10

Hi Vicki,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to download and install the software from the developer website and check if it resolve the issue.

You can also install the program in compatibility mode and check if it resolves the issue.

Follow the below procedure.

Run the program in the compatibility mode.

If a program or driver written for an earlier version of Windows doesn't run properly in current Windows, then you could try using
    compatibility mode on the program to hopefully allow it to run properly.

I suggest you to run the program/game in the compatibility mode and check if it helps. Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the program icon, click on Properties.
    • Click the Compatibility tab.
    • Check the Run this program in compatibility mode for box and select the Preferred
      Windows.
    • Click on Apply and click OK button.
    Check if it helps.

Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, Oct 5, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 compatibility setting issue

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 compatibility setting issue

1. Windows 10 compatibility setting issue - Similar Threads - compatibility setting issue

2. OneNote for Windows 10, compatibility issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneNote for Windows 10, compatibility issue: I'm running Windows 11. When OneNote for Windows 10 is pinned to the taskbar and I right click to open a second OneNote window, it opens in Normal view, not full screen. Never had this issue in Windows 10....
  3. OneNote for Windows 10, compatibility issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneNote for Windows 10, compatibility issue: I'm running Windows 11. When OneNote for Windows 10 is pinned to the taskbar and I right click to open a second OneNote window, it opens in Normal view, not full screen. Never had this issue in Windows 10....
  4. Snapchat Compatibility Issue on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Snapchat Compatibility Issue on Windows 10: I'm facing compatibility problems with Snapchat on my Windows 10 laptop. The app doesn't run smoothly, and certain features are malfunctioning even after reinstalling and updating. Has anyone encountered similar issues with Snapchat on Windows 10? I appreciate any insights or...
  5. Snapchat Compatibility Issue on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snapchat Compatibility Issue on Windows 10: I'm facing compatibility problems with Snapchat on my Windows 10 laptop. The app doesn't run smoothly, and certain features are malfunctioning even after reinstalling and updating. Has anyone encountered similar issues with Snapchat on Windows 10? I appreciate any insights or...
  6. Snapchat Compatibility Issue on Windows 10

7. Windows 10 Set Compatibility in cmd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Set Compatibility in cmd: Hello Everybody, I recently tried to run a .exe from cmd with Compatiblity mode with the following command: reg.exe Add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers" /v local.exe /d "WIN98" When i then check in the properties of my...
  8. Game Compatibility Issue with Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Game Compatibility Issue with Windows 10: So, I've recently installed the game Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition on my PC with Windows 10 Pro. It is an older game from 2008 and each time I try to start a new game from the main menu, the game crashes to my desktop. I then followed the advice from the Windows 10...
  9. Compatibility mode issues on Windows 10

Compatibility mode issues on Windows 10: Hi- I am attempting to install Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2013 onto a desktop PC that is running Windows 10. The issue I am experiencing is that ALL attempts to run the installer result in a popup window that states the following: "Windows Program Compatibility mode...
  10. Windows 10 compatibility setting issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 compatibility setting issue: Dear Community! I have a strange issue with the Windows 10 compatibility mode. (Running Win 10 Pro 64bit, with the latest updates) We have an old application installed on a Windows 2008 VM and we run it on client PCs via a share. (No installation, just creating a shortcut)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can a program compalibility problem cause windows to act up

2. what cant i get compatibility setting on windows 10