Windows 10: Windows 10 completely freezes at login

Discus and support Windows 10 completely freezes at login in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have already posted this here, but nobody answered (or even in fact saw the post). I have a very strange and complex problem in Windows 10 that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by BrandonSky, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Windows 10 completely freezes at login

I have already posted this here, but nobody answered (or even in fact saw the post).

I have a very strange and complex problem in Windows 10 that makes the computer unusable. It goes as follows:

-I start up the computer. It shows the normal Windows 10 loading cog screen, but at a certain point it waits 10 seconds for a disk check (which I have already done).

-If I skip the disk check by pressing a key, it moves straight into the Windows login screen. But a few seconds later, the computer simply freezes. If I wait a few seconds without pressing anything, the hard disk activity light is stuck on (red) and the entire computer freezes. The mouse cursor still works, as does the caps, scroll and num lock key lights turn on and off, but no buttons can be pressed or even highlighted by hovering the cursor over.

-Sometimes I can press enter to open the password, but or it freezes while I am entering the password, it freezes just as I hit Enter, or if I use the mouse to click the arrow button, it even logs in, the wallpaper appears, the taskbar, some icons load but after a few seconds it just freezes completely.

Note that all freezes are the same: hard disk activity light stuck on, cursor works perfectly, caps, scroll and num lock key lights turn on and off perfectly, but nothing can be clicked, moved, or highlighted by hovering the cursor over it, it is just a frozen screenshot with a functional cursor.

-I have also tried booting in safe mode and safe mode with command prompt. But it also freezes, the same way as the others, but this time at a black screen with a functional cursor. This screen also appeared after the disk check I did before.

Please note that all of this happens every time.

I have already tried the following commands in a recovery drive command prompt:

-/bootrec: /fixmbr works, /fixboot gives access denied, /rebuildbcd does not work.

-sfc /scannow: it scans, but then says it could not do the requested operation.
    -Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth: cannot be done because it is a recovery drive; I tried /Image, but gives error 2.

-/chkdsk: goes about 30-40%, then just stops inexplicably. The same thing happens when I try to copy large amounts of files from the hard drive to the recovery drive.

Any ideas?

:)

BrandonSky, Jul 16, 2019

2. Windows 10 Freezes on Login

Hi Jastin,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the operating system after logging-in as it freezes, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Does this issue persists, when you try to open any application or generally as soon you log-in?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message when the device freezes?
    • How have you installed Windows 10 (Upgrade/ Clean installation)?

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the System maintenance troubleshooter.

System Maintenance troubleshooter finds and clean up unused files and shortcuts and performs maintenance tasks.

• Press Windows key and type
      Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and hit
      Enter.
    • Click on View all in the left pane of the window.
    • Select System Maintenance.
    • Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Step 2: I suggest you to
    run SFC scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Step 3: Please try to run the Windows Defender to check for the virus on your device.

Refer to: Security & privacy

Note: Data or files which are infected by malware might be beyond cleaning and have to be deleted entirely to maintain the integrity of your system, which means there might be a potential for data loss.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 17, 2019
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows 10 completely freezes at login :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jul 17, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 completely freezes at login

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 17, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 completely freezes at login

1. Windows 10 completely freezes at login - Similar Threads - completely freezes login

2. Windows 10 randomly decides to freeze completely

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 randomly decides to freeze completely: Hello there, as the title says my PC decides to randomly freeze at times completely/lock up i.e., Alt+F4 and Ctrl+Alt+Delete does not work requiring me to restart it through pressing the power button on my tower despite computer resources never actually being fully used up...
  3. Windows 10 Home keeps completely freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Home keeps completely freezing: Today I started experiencing this issue, after 2-5 minutes of booting the computer it will completely freeze and afterwards restart, however it will not send any input to the monitor, sometimes it will just completely freeze and stay like that until I do a hard restart. I...
  4. Windows 10 Home keeps completely freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Home keeps completely freezing: Today I started experiencing this issue, after 2-5 minutes of booting the computer it will completely freeze and afterwards restart, however it will not send any input to the monitor, sometimes it will just completely freeze and stay like that until I do a hard restart. I...
  5. Windows 10 freezes after login

Windows 10 freezes after login: It happened to me when I was browsing the internet, PC suddenly frozen and couldn't do anything, only mouse cursor was visible and I could move it, so I restarted, after that I couldn't run the PC correctly, cause it would always freeze after signing in. After some time the...
  6. Windows 10 freezing at login screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 freezing at login screen: My computer has randomly started freezing when I get to the login screen, so I can’t even use my computer! Help, how do I fix this? submitted by /u/UltroGmr [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k6s03m/windows_10_freezing_at_login_screen/
  7. Windows 10 freezes at Login Screen

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 freezes at Login Screen: [ATTACH]If you face a situation where after you enter the password of your account […] This article Windows 10 freezes at Login Screen first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Windows 10 Freezing after login

Windows 10 Freezing after login: my HP laptop keep freezing after log in, it works for about 5 minutes as maximum then windows totally freezes, I have tried many solutions from the internet but unfortunately it was solved for 2 days then it comes back. I have run it in the safemode, and it is totally...
  9. Windows 10 freezing on login screen

Windows 10 freezing on login screen: Windows 10 loads up to the time and date screen completely frozen, theres only one other icon on the screen and its the network icon ( usually there is a power button with this). Mouse and keyboard led lights have power but both are unresponsive. Some steps I did: 1....
  10. Windows 10 freezes at Login

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 freezes at Login: So i updated my PC from windows 7 to windows 10. Had an error but solved it by changing my default save dir to c drive again. After installation my computer freezes either right after i enter my password (it just says welcome with the spinny circle forever) or it hits the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 freezes at login

2. windows 10 freeze on login

3. after windows update login screen freezes