Windows 10: windows 10 compress file gone very wrong!

Discus and support windows 10 compress file gone very wrong! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello I think it started with latest update, for some reason windows( maybe low disc space) started to compress files, noticed that folders on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Danielforza, Aug 8, 2019.

1. windows 10 compress file gone very wrong!

Hello

I think it started with latest update, for some reason windows( maybe low disc space) started to compress files, noticed that folders on my desktop had blue arrows on them.

well thought that i just remove som old games and transfer som pictures to my nas, but every gig I free'd up just dissapeared? After some trixing i got all pictures uncompressed on the nas, all but one folder( 900 pictures and movies of my son)

Right clicked and clicked properties, "size 5,47 TB"??? my windows drive is a 500gig......

Talked with windows support earlier today and he said he has never seen anything like it, and said something like "I cant help you, call some external disc recovery company and hang up the phone...
    please help me

windows 10 compress file gone very wrong! cc34afc6-eefa-4766-a9a1-da61488d78ca?upload=true.png

:)

Danielforza, Aug 8, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 8, 2019
  3. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Aug 8, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

windows 10 compress file gone very wrong!

So I used KGB Archiver to compress a 10gb file into a 40mb file...

Exactly. Most compression programs change a series of 1s and/or 0s to a couple of digits, and stores the total file in a table of contents/index. If you've got a file with TONS of repeating digits, sure, but pictures? No way to get that kind of compression in the real world.

from an article on "How To Geek"

First, we installed Bastion and compressed its folder — about 863 MB in size of music, graphics, executable files, and various different types of documents:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 745 MB (86.3% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 734 MB (85% of the original size)
    Next, we compressed Hotline Miami, which is 654 MB of data:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 316 MB (48.3% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 314 MB (48% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 307 MB (46.9% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 301 MB (46% of the original size)
    I would not expect a great deal of change from those numbers in November of 2014 to now, nor would I expect any real-world files to come any where NEAR the compression rate of .4%.

Ahhzz, Aug 8, 2019
Thema:

windows 10 compress file gone very wrong!

1. windows 10 compress file gone very wrong! - Similar Threads - compress file gone

2. Reset gone wrong - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset gone wrong - Windows 10: Hello, I was resetting my Dell laptop remove everything and download windows 10 from cloud resetIt finished downloading and automatically restarted, now when it was resetting it stuck at 6% for hours till I decided to turn it off through holding the power button and turned it...
  3. Compressing Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compressing Files: Is it safe to compress all the folders in c drive? Please answer !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressing-files/1d9bcd44-7272-4ed6-a598-3724a298ba3d
  4. Windows 10 Update Gone Wrong?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Update Gone Wrong?: Hello all! Recently I decided to finally crack open the used windows 7 thinkpad I bought sometime ago. Once I did I immediately ran into constant issues and so I decided to delete everything except for my personal files. I then proceeded to download the media tool off...
  5. Upgrading To Window 10 Gone Wrong

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading To Window 10 Gone Wrong: Please Go Through Whole Post Deeply Need Your Help A month Ago I Upgraded My PC from Window 7 ultimate To 10, By downloading ISO file from Media Creation Tool than Uses Rufus To transfer that ISO ( 32 bit ) to USB and successfully Upgraded my PC to Window 10 Pro Today...
  6. File Compression . . .

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Compression . . .: My computer, is a "Dell" laptop. Running, Windows 10 pro. I want to compress all my files. Like "Documents". WinZip was the first one, I found. But, WinZip, is not free. So, I typed in. Show me alternatives, to WinZip. I found, quite a few. But even, the alternatives. Have,...
  7. window gone very slow..

window gone very slow..: my laptop has become very slow after some updates..though i have not install any new software and i only use a few ones.. can i reset windows to like it was 1 year earlier..?? feeling helpless..kindly help.....
  8. Windows 10 install gone wrong

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 install gone wrong: My friend just built his new PC. Everything was going great but when he tried to install Windows it continously blue screens, he can't get to the repair tool and he can't get it to work on either of his M.2 drives or a USB device. Any advice? I don't have a ton more details...
  9. Windows Compressing Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Compressing Files: Whenever I download a file windows is automatically compressing it. I can't seem to find any settings to turn this off. I have plenty of room on my hard drive. Anyone know what's going on?...
  10. Windows 10 Activation gone wrong ?

Windows 10 Activation gone wrong ?: Well, a couplle of years ago i bought a key for the Windows 8 pro edition and i later upgraded to W10 Pro no problem. Now all of sudden , 3 or 4 years later it appears that my windows is no longer activaded and it says that i now own an Windows 10 Home version ?? Please...