Windows 10: Windows 10 computer failed hard after changing VT-x and Intel Virtualization Technology for...

Discus and support Windows 10 computer failed hard after changing VT-x and Intel Virtualization Technology for... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For reference, my system is: i7-4790k ASUS ROG Maximus VII Formula 32GB RAM ASUS ROG GTX 980 So I installed Oracle VM with the intent of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BenDavis117, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Windows 10 computer failed hard after changing VT-x and Intel Virtualization Technology for...

For reference, my system is:

i7-4790k

ASUS ROG Maximus VII Formula

32GB RAM

ASUS ROG GTX 980

So I installed Oracle VM with the intent of installing Linux on a Virtual Machine to learn. To install the 64-bit version of Linux though, I had to make a few changes to my system. I disabled Hyper-V in Windows Features, and in my BIOS I enabled Intel (R) Virtualization Technology and VT-x. After doing all this, everything seemed to be working fine, except that my computer started acting up. When waking from sleep or powering on, it would sometimes get stuck on the POST screen, and pressing F2 or Del would do nothing. Pressing the power button once, then again, would start the wake sequence again and usually fix it. This lasted for about a week or two, and then it changed. I tried to wake it from sleep, and it froze on the POST screen again. My usual fix didn't work either, I tried multiple times, but couldn't get into BIOS. Q-code was A2 (IDE detected). It was obvious that this was due to the changes that I made in BIOS (though I have no idea why), so I decided to reset the BIOS. I unplugged and held the power button for 30 seconds. I tried to reboot again, still didn't work. So I figured that from the Q-code, it was having trouble finding the boot drive for some reason. So I unplugged the SATA from my boot drive and tried again. This time, a red window popped up saying:

SECURE BOOT VIOLATION

The system found unauthorized changes on the firmware, operating system, or UEFI drivers.

Press [OK] to run the next boot device, or enter directly to the BIOS setup if there are no other boot devices installed.

Go to BIOS Setup > Advanced > Boot and change the current boot device into other secured boot devices.

I had to press enter twice to get past this, I presume because it tried and failed to boot from my other two drives. Then I was able to get into BIOS, and reset to defaults, so I shut down, plugged my boot drive in again, got back into BIOS, and reset my boot drive to boot priority 1. That let me finally get back into my computer, but by resetting my BIOS, I've lost the ability to run Linux on my VM.

What happened? Where did I go wrong? Why was my startup troublesome, but still functional for a while, and why did it suddenly decide to hard stop? How do I try again so I can run my VM without having to go through this process again?

:)

BenDavis117, Jun 12, 2019
  2. hieurock Win User

Intel VT-x Enable?

I am unable to find anything with Intel Virtual Technology anywhere in the BIOS. I guess the only step is to update my BIOS, but I heard that is very risky. Is there any other way to enable Intel VT-x?

I have access to my graphics settings but I don't know if that will help.
    Windows 10 computer failed hard after changing VT-x and Intel Virtualization Technology for... [​IMG]

hieurock, Jun 12, 2019
  3. Cannot find the option to enable intel vt-x in Windows 10

Watch this youtube video:

Turn on Intel Virtualization Technology (vt-x) in Windows 10 & 8.1 from BIOS

humility_5292, Jun 12, 2019
  4. Lister Win User

Windows 10 computer failed hard after changing VT-x and Intel Virtualization Technology for...

vt-x - virtualization technology

Assuming your hp probook 4530 is the standard specs for your model then you have an intel Core i5-2410m.

Intel lists this chip as having VT-X, one of the prerequisites for hyper-V.
    Microsoft provides a page for hyper-v support.

The summary is:

• 64 bit processor with Second level address translation
    • VT-C for intel
    • 4GB ram
    • BIOS Enable Virtualization technology & Hardware enforced data execution prevention.
    • Windows Professional or higher

You can check if your system is hyper-v ready by running cmd prompt and typing systeminfo.exe. At the bottom there will be a Hyper-V section and it will inform you if you have all the settings enabled.

Lister, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 computer failed hard after changing VT-x and Intel Virtualization Technology for...

1. Windows 10 computer failed hard after changing VT-x and Intel Virtualization Technology for... - Similar Threads - computer failed hard

2. Virtualization Technology VT and Windows 11 Core Isolation Features

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtualization Technology VT and Windows 11 Core Isolation Features: Dear Community,I'm currently experiencing a conundrum with my system. I cannot have virtualization enabled on my system after a Windows update was pushed to my system. Let me explain why. The Core Isolation feature, Memory Integrity, is causing the Program Compatibility...
  3. Virtualization Technology VT and Windows 11 Core Isolation Features

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtualization Technology VT and Windows 11 Core Isolation Features: Dear Community,I'm currently experiencing a conundrum with my system. I cannot have virtualization enabled on my system after a Windows update was pushed to my system. Let me explain why. The Core Isolation feature, Memory Integrity, is causing the Program Compatibility...
  4. How to Enable VT-x Virtualization Technology on Windows10 Using Surface 7 pro

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Enable VT-x Virtualization Technology on Windows10 Using Surface 7 pro: Hi,I cannot enable VT-x on windows 10.I have searched many times but I could not find any solution for that.Does anyone know how to do it?*I am using surface 7 pro and I tried to enable VT-x from BIOS but I could not find Virtualization Technology section from surface UEFI....
  5. Cannot boot into windows after turning on Intel Virtualization Technology

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot into windows after turning on Intel Virtualization Technology: I turned on Intel Virtualization to run VirturalBox and ever since i cannot boot into windows. I tried turning it off again and it keeps booting into Automatic Repair Mode with a blue screen. It gives me options to reset my pc or advance mode. Please help...
  6. Vt-x

in Windows 10 Customization
    Vt-x: Will my system be damaged if i enable vt-x in bios. I have a Windows 10 pc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vt-x/3dfd3649-5bf1-4d21-99c3-133ca8913135
  7. BIOS Enable Intel VT-x

BIOS Enable Intel VT-x: So what do I look for when the Blue Screen comes up? UEFI? Win 10 allows me to get this far [I can't locate Intel's settings], but there's no way to alter theBIOS. I recall having to do BIOS fiddles before with VMWareway back in the 2000s. Help, please....
  8. how to activate VT-x technology in bios?

how to activate VT-x technology in bios?: i got into bios but the thing im looking for isnt there (activation of VT-x technology) and yes my pc supports it. (SMBIOS version: 2.7) (bios mode: legacy) (bios version/date: K01 2.05)...
  9. Intel VT-x Enable?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Intel VT-x Enable?: I need to enable Intel VT-x in order to run VMWare on my laptop. I cannot find where to enable it in my BIOS and I was wondering if there is any alternate way I can turn it on. I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad W540 and it is running on Windows 10. [img] 34765
  10. BSOD - Intel Virtualization Technology

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - Intel Virtualization Technology: I enabled Intel Virtualization Technology for the first time in the BIOS and got BSOD. I disabled it and it booted up fine. I ran your diagnostic tool and the file is enclosed. Windows 10 Pro v1709 Asus z270-a Motherboard Intel i7-7700K TP-LINK T9E PCI wireless adaptor...