Windows 10: Windows 10 computer suddenly requiring password again

Discus and support Windows 10 computer suddenly requiring password again in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 computer, which I have had for a while now. I had shut off the requirement for a password when turning it on. This has been fine... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by CSS321125, Oct 30, 2018.

1. CSS321125 Win User

Windows 10 computer suddenly requiring password again

I have a Windows 10 computer, which I have had for a while now.

I had shut off the requirement for a password when turning it on. This has been fine for over a year. Never needing to enter a password.

However, for the past 2 days, I have needed to enter the password.

I searched online and re-found the instructions for shutting off the need for a password. I went to "netplwiz" and the box is still unchecked. So nothing has changed. Yet, 2 mornings in a row, I have needed the password.

What could be causing this?

Thanks

:)

CSS321125, Oct 30, 2018

2. Password suddenly required to start computer

I have been using Windows 10 for over a year (OS build 14393.693) and never set up a password since the computer is in my home and I'm the only user. Suddenly, two days ago, I'm required to have a password to log on. I was able to get in using my Microsoft
    account login. I've read the various suggestions from one or two years ago, such as typing "netplwiz" and unchecking the "users must enter..." box. This did not solve the problem. I do
    not want to use a password or PIN. I tried a system restore, but it failed. Here are my questions:

1. Was there a recent Microsoft update that has suddenly required this login?

2. How can I revert back to not needing a password or PIN to open my computer?

3. If I have to log in with a Microsoft account password, does that mean Microsoft has access to my computer?

Thanks.

Illinichip1, Oct 30, 2018
  3. rontiara Win User
    Win 10 suddenly requires a password

I am a newcomer to Windows 10, and for the first three weeks I owned the computer I booted up without any password. Because nobody else has access to this computer, I don't really need one.

But suddenly today, when I woke the computer up, I was locked out because it wanted a password. I had no idea which password it wanted, but, after several mistakes, I finally figured out that it wanted my Microsoft Account password.

My questions:

1. Why did it suddenly require a password?

2. How do I stop its requiring a password?

I am, of course, administrator, and I noticed in User Accounts that, as administrator, my account is password protected and that can't be changed. I have no idea what that password is, as I've never had to use it. Is it the MS Account password?

Thanks.

rontiara, Oct 30, 2018
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Upgrading to windows 10 suddenly creates a password to my computer???

Hi David,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and frustration you have been through. I will be glad to assist you.

If you are using a Microsoft Account you cannot remove password because of the security reasons. I would suggest you to create a new local account from which you can log in and avoid login password and pin. Follow the steps below.

Refer the link below and create new Local account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Follow the steps below to avoid log in password.

• Press “Windows Key + R”.
    • Type “netplwiz”.
    • And select the Local account and uncheck the option "user must enter user name and password to use this computer".

Hope this information is helpful. Please get back to us with the information required, if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Oct 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 computer suddenly requiring password again - Similar Threads - computer suddenly requiring

2. Computer asking for password again

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Computer asking for password again: I turned on auto login in netplwiz and shut down my computer. The next day, I was confused why it was asking for my password again. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-asking-for-password-again/10305011-bbae-4a70-9db8-197f373bce99
  3. Computer asking for password again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer asking for password again: I turned on auto login in netplwiz and shut down my computer. The next day, I was confused why it was asking for my password again. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-asking-for-password-again/10305011-bbae-4a70-9db8-197f373bce99
  4. Computer asking for password again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Password Required For Computer Access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password Required For Computer Access: For the last 8+ years, I entered a PIN to enter my laptop. All of a sudden, I'm being asked for a password. When I reset my password per the instructions, it tells me that it is incorrect. The operating system is Windows 10. Will I ever be able to access anything on this...
  6. Windows 10 Password requirement

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 Password requirement: Windows 10 upgrade from windows 8 - I want to permanently disable ANY and ALL password requirements for MY LAPTOP whether I am online or offline. When I am in airplane mode, your ridiculous company refuses to give me access to MY LAPTOP. Yes, I have tried EVERY SINGLE...
  7. Windows 10 locking again of a sudden

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 locking again of a sudden: Hi, sorry to bring up again what was once a common problem, but of a sudden Win 10 Pro 1909 all updates current has started locking again. The cursor freezes, no keys work, I can't access the Task Manager to sign out but must reboot by closing down by holding the start...
  8. Windows 10 wants password to access shared computer - Shared computer requires no password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 wants password to access shared computer - Shared computer requires no password: PC "A" is set to share with no password requirement. PC "A" also has a printer that is set to share on network. Other PCs on network can access computer "A" and print to computer "A" printer. New Windows 10 PC, "B" can't access "A". Computer "B" asks for password when...
  9. Windows 10 Password suddenly required

Windows 10 Password suddenly required: Suddenly I have to sign into Windows each time I turn on desktop PC. First it says password is not valid, then I choose my personal windows icon and type in the password. Why do I have to sign in each time when before I did not have to?...
  10. Windows Startup suddenly requiring password

Windows Startup suddenly requiring password: After several years of using windows 10 'startup' in the "Never" require password sign-in mode on my desktop, for several days now, I have suddenly been required to use a password during startup. This apparently occurred subsequent to some 'automatic update' downloads from...