Windows 10: Windows 10 computer won't allow change of default program for .XML

Discus and support Windows 10 computer won't allow change of default program for .XML in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi there, Currently, as per the title, it appears to be impossible to change the .xml extension to open with Microsoft Excel 2016, instead defaulting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ShanePerc., Dec 5, 2018.

1. Windows 10 computer won't allow change of default program for .XML

Hi there,

Currently, as per the title, it appears to be impossible to change the .xml extension to open with Microsoft Excel 2016, instead defaulting to Office XML Handler and disallowing any apparent method for changing it. Computer is Windows 10, 64xbit OS, 8GB RAM. The computer is currently linked to a business domain.

Going to default programs via control panel option and search by files by extension, going down to .xml and changing the default program to Excel 2016 from there, does not work. Upon selecting Excel 2016, no change occurs and it remains on Office XML Handler.

I've also tried right clicking the XML file, and under the general tab, selecting "Open's With" and making sure the box ticked for 'Always use this program to open this file type', selected .XML. The program boots in excel, but the default program does not change.

Venturing down the regedit keys, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.xml...

All the way down to UserChoice it does appear that it points to the ProgID for excel.exe, the registry key is generated when the previous actions are performed, but this does not change what program is opened at all.

... I have also tried turning it off and on again.

:)

ShanePerc., Dec 5, 2018

2. Windows 10 - how to open an XML file by default USING the correct M/S program (XLS, DOC or PPT)?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can understand, how frustrating it can be, when things don’t work as expected.

I'd be glad to help you.

I suggest you to open XLS, DOC, XML or PPT file formats in the latest Microsoft office application available.

To open the XLS, DOC, XML or PPT file formats in Microsoft office as default program follow these steps below:

• Type Default programs in the search bar on Windows 10.
    • Associate a file type or protocol with a program under
      Choose the program that Windows use by default in the Default Program
      Window.
    • Select the .xml file type in the Associate a file type or protocol with a program
      Window and click on Ok.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the updated information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Dec 5, 2018
  3. Windows 10 - how to open an XML file by default USING the correct M/S program (XLS, DOC or PPT)?

I believe that the original question was how to open an xml file automatically with MS Excel after a Windows 10 upgrade messed up the file association, that is preventing the user to just double click on an .xml file to have MS Excel open it by default.

To do this you only need to delete the registry key listed below (including all subkeys) and re-associate the .xml file extension with MS Excel as you normally would by right clicking on your .xml file and by choosing "open with" then navigating to the location
    of the MS Excel application and choosing MS Excel as the default.

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.xml

Hope that helps!

IvanLeonidas, Dec 5, 2018
  4. puma99dk| Win User

Windows 10 computer won't allow change of default program for .XML

Windows 10 don't save change for default programs

Recently i been having alittle trouble getting my Windows 10 Pro to save how it opens my pictures on my computer, bcs i want to use Windows Photo Viewer instead of the new default photo application.

I notice that i got some "asian language" in the default for my picture files, anyone knows how i can get rid of that and when i select all and click save it doesn't really save this setting.

Windows 10 computer won't allow change of default program for .XML windows-10-set-program-associations-jpg.jpg

Scanned with KIS2016, Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner, HitmanPro, ESET Online Scanner

nuth major found other then some files i knew had some dirty in them.

puma99dk|, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 computer won't allow change of default program for .XML

1. Windows 10 computer won't allow change of default program for .XML - Similar Threads - computer won't allow

2. Computer won't allow GO BACK to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer won't allow GO BACK to Windows 10: Computer won't allow GO BACK to Windows 10 option. The new Win11 is slowing dowm my internet to the point of being useless. I have a 2 year old Dell Inspiron which qualifies for Windows 11. However, the new OS is not working. When I try Settings, Restore, Go back to Windows...
  3. Default File association XML in Group Policy will not allow changes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default File association XML in Group Policy will not allow changes: Okay, the title of this question is a little misleading. We currently have a Default file association XML in place in Group Policy to set the default browser to Edge Chromium, however we have some users that want to use Google Chrome as their default browser. As expected if...
  4. Windows 10 Changes default programs on restart

Windows 10 Changes default programs on restart: I tried some of the suggested help but I am having same problem many time I have changed manually after reboot for required function. Again after the next reboot same problem persists. Kindly help to reset my default apps. for web browser, video player and image viewer...
  5. Sysprep .xml lost default programs windows 1909

in Windows 10 Support
    Sysprep .xml lost default programs windows 1909: after sysprep with xml lost default programs: before sysprep [img] after sysprep [img] xml validate no error [img] 146902
  6. Can't change default programs in Windows 10

Can't change default programs in Windows 10: This is on new Dell Latitude 5501's fresh out of the box, only after running the Microsoft Office 365 Cleanup Tool because Dell dumps 5 whole language versions of Office onto the systems with a faulty installation path, which completely screws up my deployment workflow....
  7. Change default program

Change default program: I just got a new computer. I always use Paint Shop Pro for my pictures. But I can't get Windows to open all pictures in it. I always have to go more steps. And even if I say to use Paint Shop as program - for sure next time I open a picture I get Windows photo app. Any idea...
  8. Change default program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change default program: Hi I have both OneNote2010 and OneNote2016 installed (because you must the whole 2016-office suite) but I just use the 2010 version After the last Windows update default program for (.one) has changed back to 2016 And I cant find the 2010 version to add How can you...
  9. Win 10 Won't Allow Window Appearance Changes

Win 10 Won't Allow Window Appearance Changes: I've spent hours installing and customizing Win 10, but can't find out how to set windows so they always open to the format and specifications I'd like. For instance, in Win 7, I was able to change the Scroll Bar, Title Bar, Borders, Menu Fonts, Window Fonts, etc. I'll...
  10. Default Program won't change?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Program won't change?: I am trying to set my default programs in windows 10 but it is having none of it. It just sticks on the grey square with "Choose a default". If I reset it goes back to edge, I then try and click Chrome and it is still edge. If I refresh the page it is back to the "Choose a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer wont allow web-font-api