Windows 10: Windows 10 - Computer won't boot since failed "chkdsk"!

Discus and support Windows 10 - Computer won't boot since failed "chkdsk"! in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello -bios I am in need of some serious help! I own a Dell XPS 8700 desktop, Windows 10. I perform maintenance on a regular basis to keep things... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DNA75C, Nov 16, 2018.

1. DNA75C Win User

Windows 10 - Computer won't boot since failed "chkdsk"!

Hello -bios

I am in need of some serious help! I own a Dell XPS 8700 desktop, Windows 10. I perform maintenance on a regular basis to keep things running smoothly. A few days ago, I ran a disk check ( administrative dskchk ), obviously to make sure there were no bad sectors or errors that needed repair. I wasn't having any problems with the computer, just trying to keep it that way.

I checked on the process intermittently, understanding that it can take hours. Around hour #2, I discovered that the process was stuck at 10%. The circle of little balls was not moving in a circle as it normally does when things are happening. I gave it another hour, while looking up possible fixes on another computer.

Nothing changed, my desktop was obviously locked up. After trying the "enter" key a few times, the "ESC" key a few times, "CTRL/ALT/DEL" a few times, and ultimately pressing keys just to see if I could get a reaction at all, I tried "power-cycling" the computer... I held the power button down until the unit shut off.

I have yet to be able to get it to open into Windows since that day. I have tried all of the repair/restore (F-12 into UEFI/BIOS... F-2 into repair/restore options) functions. I ran Dell's diagnostics, which told me that everything is fine, which is obviously not true No hard drive problems, no memory problems, everything is 100%, according to Dell Diagnostics.

The computer boots to an error screen telling me that "Windows encountered a problem and must restart"... it restarts to the same error screen. I set it up to boot to the repair disc which I created when I bought the computer... it doesn't recognize that a disc is in the optical drive. I connected the external hard drive where the latest backup is stored... it doesn't recognize that a backup is attached to it. I cannot return the computer to an earlier time, or a "last known good configuration".

I have yet to try to boot to the Hiren's CD I created shortly after I bought the computer, because I have already had no success getting it to recognize that a disc is in the optical drive, and because I don't know which tools to use if I can even get the computer to boot to the disc, which I doubt.

Incidentally, no problems powering up, fans and lights work, disc drawer opens and closes, modem is fine, network is fine.

Can anyone help? I am at a loss. I know a few things, but clearly not enough. Thanks.

:)

DNA75C, Nov 16, 2018

2. System restore failed and now my computer won' t boot at all

Hi Bjørn,

To address this concern, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

Method 1:

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) except mouse and the keyboard and then boot up. If this corrects the issue then add the devices back one at a time until you discover the
    piece of hardware causing the issue. Then get any updated drivers\software for the device.

Method 2:

Perform a Startup repair from Advance boot option

• Boot your computer using a Windows 10 CD/ DVD or System Repair Disc.

• Select the correct time and keyboard type.

• Click on Repair your computer in the lower left corner.

• Select Troubleshoot from the Choose an option screen.

• Click on Advanced options in the Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Repair from the Advanced Options screen.

• Next, choose the operating system.

• Windows 10 will look for problems on hard drive(s) and verify that all required files are intact.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Ronald San, Nov 16, 2018
  3. Pixel-Pi Win User
    Windows 10 stuck in CHKDSK on Boot

Short explanation: On Boot, Windows tries to Check my C: for errors, stopps on 1% and gives BSoD. After that, Windows tries to automatically repair itself but fails and gives me those blue tiles to select what to do next. Nothing on this helps, the result
    is always again checking C: for errors and crashing at 1%.

More Details: I guess, Windows shutdown in Hybrid-Mode (that it can boot up faster), but locked the NTFS partition it is installed on. Now, when chkdsk tries to check that partition, it failes because it has no write-access and crashes (propably due to ****
    exception-handling). This is just a theory based on the fact, that i tried to run chkdsk manually via the CMD in the repair-options, and with the Attribute /F it says that it can not fix the partition.

Problem:

Should be obvious. My PC doesn't start. Instead it runns the loop explained in "Short Explanation".

Please help me, getting the NTFS Partition unlocked, so I can run CHKDSK or disable CHKDSK from running at Startup or any other way getting my PC running again.

Any kind of Help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Things I've tried:

• Reboot
    • cut the power (provocating a cold reboot with unlocking the c: partition)
    • several things in BIOS (mainly disabled Fast Boot)
    • Booting from USB-Drive with Windows Installer on it (tried to run CHKDSK from there)
    • Runned the startup-repair, said it would do some repairs, didnt work either.

Specs:

• i5 6600K
    • 16 GB RAM
    • ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger
    • GTX 960
    • SAMSUNG 830 SSD
    • 2 other HDDs, nothing important

Pixel-Pi, Nov 16, 2018
  4. tops Win User

Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

Thema:

1. Windows 10 - Computer won't boot since failed "chkdsk"! - Similar Threads - Computer won't boot

2. PC won't boot, drive not visible after chkdsk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won't boot, drive not visible after chkdsk: So I got a cheap 10tb drive, and decided to run a chkdsk /r /f on it. It estimated around 80 hours to completion, but it froze at about 18 hours remaining. I Ctrl-C'd it, and closed the command prompt window. I tried to re-mount / format it in computer management, but it...
  3. PC won't boot, drive not visible after chkdsk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC won't boot, drive not visible after chkdsk: So I got a cheap 10tb drive, and decided to run a chkdsk /r /f on it. It estimated around 80 hours to completion, but it froze at about 18 hours remaining. I Ctrl-C'd it, and closed the command prompt window. I tried to re-mount / format it in computer management, but it...
  4. System won't boot after powercut during chkdsk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System won't boot after powercut during chkdsk: Hi all, I was running a chkdsk /r /f on my PC due to having issues with disk speeds, when I lost power for about a half a second. It was about halfway through the process and now the machine won't boot. It's in a surge protected socket so I don't think that's an issue....
  5. chkdsk on boot drive won't run at startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    chkdsk on boot drive won't run at startup: I am trying to image my boot hard drive in order to migrate the data to an ssd. The backup software (Macrium Reflect) first checks the file system, but reports an "MFT corrupt error", and indicates to run chkdsk c: /r to fix the issue. I opened power shell and attempted to...
  6. Windows 10 won't boot + chkdsk error

Windows 10 won't boot + chkdsk error: Good morning, I have one large issue. I have been doing some work in chrome and my laptop lenovo ideapad 330 has frozen, so I turned it off and back on again never had issues with that. After lenovo logo has popped up, windows was refusing to boot. So I tried built in...
  7. update failed computer won't boot no hard drive seen windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    update failed computer won't boot no hard drive seen windows 10: My dell laptop decided to update windows 10. It was stuck at 90% for 36 hours. I decided to turn it off and back on despite the warning not to. Now it's dead. My Macrium backup tells me there is no local hard drive. I can't figure out how to do a complete factory restore with...
  8. Windows 10 won't boot after a "failed" update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 won't boot after a "failed" update.: I have encountered several machines that simply stopped booting after an automatic update attempt. I spent 3 days trying to fix the first one and decided to do a clean install on the others. The problem seems to be related to hibernation during the update process - Linux...
  9. Windows 10 desktop computer won't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 desktop computer won't boot: I can get into Safe Mode to see that "a recently installed bat binary is corrupt." When I tried downloading a fresh clean copy of Windows 10 it fails and I see "uninstall latest LCU failed - Error 0X490." Any thoughts?...
  10. Computer won't boot to windows 10

Computer won't boot to windows 10: My desk top HP would not boot but went into a loop or auto repair then trying to boot again. I can boot into safe boot, but not all the options work. I have tried all the suggestions here in the forum, but nothing seems to help. I have finally resorted to completely...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. interrupted chkdsk fail boot

2. laptop wont start recovery manager fails chkdsk

3. computer wont boot after chkdsk c: /r

4. windows 10 updating shutdown now wont boot chkdsk /f,
  5. windows wont boot after chkdsk