Windows 10: Windows 10 confusing hard freeze issue SOLVED! Pass this on

Discus and support Windows 10 confusing hard freeze issue SOLVED! Pass this on in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I was banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why Windows 10 was hard freezing and I had to manually power off. Video driver issues.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Theo1974, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Theo1974 Win User

Windows 10 confusing hard freeze issue SOLVED! Pass this on

I was banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why Windows 10 was hard freezing and I had to manually power off. Video driver issues. Specifically video cards that are older, and unfortunately it you have an Nvidia card the drivers don't play nice with Windows 10. I uninstalled my (very nice) Nvidia card and drivers, then I bought and installed a Radeon card that was DirectX 12 compatible. Hard freezing disappeared. It seems to be a DirectX issue with older (even 2 year) video cards that just makes Windows 10 lock.

I hope Microsoft addresses this. Unfortunately Windows 10 requires you to upgrade or be left behind with Windows 7 (which I used to prefer). Windows 10 is great now that I figured out out. *Biggrin

:)

Theo1974, Feb 19, 2016

2. Windows 10 Lagging

Windows 10 need's to sort this bug/issue. It's irritating and impossible to use the program. I must be getting 10 hard resets a day. Can't access Task manager as ctrl alt delete doesn't do anything when it freezes. Having said that, nothing works when it
    all of a sudden goes into this random freeze issue. I have been going over the web for a fix, I have checked my event viewer their always seems to be an issue before I have to hard reset the computer. But it's really hard to pin point why this is?

My Dad and my brother haven't had this issue on the other hand, but so many people out there are, it's confusing. Please fix this in an update microsoft.

DomOsborne, Feb 19, 2016
  3. anklebits Win User
    PC completely freezing while gaming + WiFi issues

Hi!

About a week ago, I installed a game called Hearthstone. At the end of the game, my PC froze up - I assumed it was the natural rare freezes and hard restarted.

However, the issue has been persisting, freezing every half an hour or so and the WiFi disconnecting and refusing to reconnect a few times a day (WiFi works fine on other devices).

I've tried a System Restore back to Windows 8.1, SFC scan, updating drivers and a clean boot. Issue persits in Safe Mode.

I'm really confused as to what's happening, I've had Windows 10 for 6 months with no issues.

Thanks!

Windows 10 Home

HP G3 255 Notebook PC

anklebits, Feb 19, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, glad yuo found a solution. Could you tell us which Nvidia card in particular? Thanks!
    Also you have posted this twice- maybe you could delete one..

dalchina, Feb 20, 2016
  5. PiKo Win User
    No issue here with Geforce GTS 450, which is rather old.

6. pete1208 Win User
    If you uninstalled your nvidia drivers, rebooted, then reinstalled your problem would have gone away. Windows 10 has a habit of resetting the network stack during major updates. *Sad

pete1208, Feb 25, 2016
  7. Edward Win User
    I have Nvidia GT610 no problems with it so far *Smile

Edward, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 confusing hard freeze issue SOLVED! Pass this on - Similar Threads - confusing hard freeze

2. Hard Drive Allocation Confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive Allocation Confusion: Hello! So, my PC has slowed down recently and at the recommendation of a friend I was looking at my SSD health when I saw this. Already I'm assuming my boot partition shouldn't be that large but the same hard-drive has many of my games downloaded onto it within the same...
  3. Hard Drive Allocation Confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Drive Allocation Confusion: Hello! So, my PC has slowed down recently and at the recommendation of a friend I was looking at my SSD health when I saw this. Already I'm assuming my boot partition shouldn't be that large but the same hard-drive has many of my games downloaded onto it within the same...
  4. [SOLVED] Changing Hard Drive - Windows Activation Issue

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    [SOLVED] Changing Hard Drive - Windows Activation Issue: Hello five months ago my HDD was corrupted so I brought it to service shop and they changed my HDD and reinstalled windows in it. What I didn't know was they installed a different windows license with the one I had in my previous HDD which will expired after 180 days. Now I...
  5. Windows 10 Hard Freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Hard Freezing: Hi all, fresh ex Mac newbie here. I've just built my own system and without going into too much detail right now, I've encountered a problem that's making this experience a disappointing experience. I can run any and all programs without any problems, pushing capabilities...
  6. Multiple Windows 10 issues (Hard freeze/Event logs)

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple Windows 10 issues (Hard freeze/Event logs): Hi I've been having issues with my laptop A lenovo ideapad 320. I've had it one month. I started experiencing hard freezes. Where everything would stop the mouse and keyboard would be frozen resulting in me having to just hold the power button and restart it. I clean...
  7. Windows 10 on SSD Hard Freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 on SSD Hard Freezing: Hey there, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and added in a SSD drive to my build but for some reason my computer keeps randomly hard freezing (have had it freeze while doing several different things) to the point were I have to hard reboot. I have tried several solutions...
  8. Windows 10 solving homegroup issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 solving homegroup issue: I own an hp desktop and a Dell laptop. Both operate on Windows 10. There is an option to create a homegroup for file sharing between computers but both computers, when this process has been tried, get messages saying unable to create a homegroup on this computer. I need to be...
  9. Windows 10 confusing hard freeze issue SOLVED! Pass this on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 confusing hard freeze issue SOLVED! Pass this on: I was banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why Windows 10 was hard freezing and I had to manually power off. Video driver issues. Specifically video cards that are older, and unfortunately it you have an Nvidia card the drivers don't play nice with Windows...
  10. Hard freeze issue with laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard freeze issue with laptop: To preface: I've tested all my hardware and it seems to be fine. The problem most likely comes from software but I've got no clue what it is exactly. I've done several clean installs trying to fix this to no avail. Usually, 10 will work fine for a few days with zero...