Windows 10: Windows 10, Connecting to WiFi while Ethernet cable is still plugged in.

Discus and support Windows 10, Connecting to WiFi while Ethernet cable is still plugged in. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, i am using Ethernet cable to control my device. Every time i connect to a device using Ethernet port, windows 10 will automatically switch over... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Dy2r, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Dy2r Win User

Windows 10, Connecting to WiFi while Ethernet cable is still plugged in.

Hi,

i am using Ethernet cable to control my device. Every time i connect to a device using Ethernet port, windows 10 will automatically switch over to network/ Ethernet port from WiFi which does not have internet connection.

How do i use the Ethernet port while still connected to the internet via WiFI?

Thank you

:)

Dy2r, Sep 8, 2018
  2. infinityxo1 Win User

Wifi not connecting without Ethernet cable

Basically what happened before: After updating to Windows 10, my computer was not showing any network options. (The icon says "Not connected - No connections are available) Going into Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network Connections, it then says "Local Area Connection Network cable unplugged". I ran diagnostics and it said to plug in the ethernet cable to the network adaptor. So my wifi connection will not work with my laptop unless directly connected to by the ethernet cable. Wifi works fine with phones, ipods/ipads, and another laptop that was also updated to windows 10/a desktop still using windows 8.

infinityxo1, Sep 8, 2018
  3. LVMan777 Win User
    Wifi not connecting without Ethernet cable

Had the same problem with Asus P5K3 deluxe wifi motherboard upgrading to Windows 10...
    Plugged in an Ethernet cable...ok...but no built in wifi
    Next time I "RESTARTED"....voila ....wifi app shows up...and I connected to my router and removed the Ethernet cable...*Cool

LVMan777, Sep 8, 2018
  4. Delun Zhang Win User

Plugging Ethernet cable cuts off WiFi connection automatically

Hi, dear Microsoft community,

I have a HP Elite 840 G2 laptop here. The system of this laptop is just upgraded to Windows 10(64-bit). I found an issue now. Every time when I plug in an Ethernet cable, WiFi connection is cut off. The Ethernet cable doesn't have Internet access, it's connected
    to a test equipment. When I disable the Ethernet connection through the window "Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections", WiFi connection is resumed.

I find a lot of information in the Internet, like "upgrade wireless module's driver", "add a key into register", "assign a metric", I tried all of them, but I can still not let my WiFi connection resume. It seems that Ethernet connection and WiFi connection
    can not co-exist on a Windows 10 system, user can only have one of them, either Ethernet connection or WiFi connection.

So, what should I do in this case? Has Microsoft published any update regarding this issue?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Update:

This issue comes from my company's group policy. My laptop is not allowed to have Ethernet connection and WiFi connection at same time. I have already received a solution regarding this issue.

@Michelle Vil: Thank you for your quick response. It's not about priority. Windows 10 user should be able to have Ethernet connection and WiFi connection at same time, as what is provided by Windows 7.

Delun Zhang, Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10, Connecting to WiFi while Ethernet cable is still plugged in. - Similar Threads - Connecting WiFi while

2. Connect two computers with ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connect two computers with ethernet cable: I am trying to transfer files between two Windows 10 laptops using an ethernet cable to network them. I have a new crossover ethernet cable, which I attached to both computers. Both now show Ethernet Network 2, but they are not talking to each other. I followed the...
  3. Ethernet Cable always connecting and disconnecting

Ethernet Cable always connecting and disconnecting: Hello everyone, Recently i pluged my ethernet cable on my pc but then i figured out it was not working, and when i looked deeper into the problem, my ethernet was always connecting and disconnecting. I tried plugging the cable on another computer and it worked so the...
  4. Connecting two pc's using ethernet cable, while one is wireless

Connecting two pc's using ethernet cable, while one is wireless: Hi everyone at TenForums :) This is Thomas from Copenhagen At my new workshop (photographer), I'm connected to my friendly office-nabours guest wifi network using an ASUS PCE-AC68 adapter. However in my work setup, I have until now been connecting my main pc, a Dell Aurora...
  5. "Network Cable Unplugged" on Ethernet Connection

"Network Cable Unplugged" on Ethernet Connection: Let's start at the beginning... In early November I broke my collarbone which resulted in my being out of work since. Being unable to really sit in my office at my desk (plugged directly into the modem as I typically am via ethernet), I moved my laptop downtairs and began...
  6. Connecting wifi to physical router for ethernet cable use

Connecting wifi to physical router for ethernet cable use: Hello folks, This is not exactly Windows 10 issue but a networking issue that I need some help with. I am in a situation, where I need to use ethernet cable connection but there is no physical ethernet port to connect to, but there is ample wifi. I have this pocket...
  7. Ethernet to wifi adapters... they still exists?

Ethernet to wifi adapters... they still exists?: Hello, sorry it's not strictly related to Win 10 but this forum Always solve my issues so... please help. I am looking for an adapter that allows a device that is only ethernet to connect to a wifi router. This look easy but I totally misunderstand why I find only...
  8. Connected by Ethernet and WiFi

Connected by Ethernet and WiFi: Right now my computer is connected by 1.0 Gbps Ethernet and 1.3 Gbps WiFi. Can Windows 10 take advantage of this or should I disable one these connections? 83525
  9. New Ethernet Cabling, no connection

New Ethernet Cabling, no connection: Hi, I just had ethernet cabling done in my house from the router under the floorboards into my room which evidently doesn't work. Stupidly I didn't get the guy who did the job to check it and I don't want to call him out if it's just a software issue. He also installed a...
  10. Wifi not connecting without Ethernet cable

Wifi not connecting without Ethernet cable: Basically what happened before: After updating to Windows 10, my computer was not showing any network options. (The icon says "Not connected - No connections are available) Going into Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network Connections, it then says "Local Area Connection...