Windows 10: Windows 10 constant intense disk activity when system is idle. A possible solution.

Discus and support Windows 10 constant intense disk activity when system is idle. A possible solution. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have searched for several days for a solution to the problem, and numerous threads here literally go overboard in all sorts of diagnostic measures,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ThomasH_usually, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Windows 10 constant intense disk activity when system is idle. A possible solution.

I have searched for several days for a solution to the problem, and numerous threads here literally go overboard in all sorts of diagnostic measures, disabling this and that, starting cmd or power shell in elevated mode and executing windows image repairs, update drivers, BIOS etc. etc. All sorts of typical infamous "check if the power cord is plugged in", or "do you see the green LED on" type of questions. I do not even remember all the disabled features which I have now on my system. Nothing helped me, and I saw hundreds of similar reports were listed online.

I found the culprit by starting the resource monitor and waiting for my system to go idle. Sure enough, suddenly one of the disks started to rattle like crazy. Resource Monitor showed something like \Device\hardisk\Volume8 and the process was svchost defrag srv. Aha, a defragmenter service runs on its own suddenly. Do not know why. Even here the recommendation for thatgiven by MS team in this forum was ineffective: use msconfig and prevent from start at boot time: I had no any start command for it!.

Solution in my case: Open services widget, find a service namens "Optimize Drives." Stop it, per right click select "Properties," disable this service from starting. Peace returns to the computer.

I hope this helps you too. Of course, I cannot be sure if such symptom is always caused the de-fragmenter.

:)

ThomasH_usually, Jun 19, 2020
  2. AndreTen Win User

Constant 100% Disk Usage, 60-80% CPU usage. Both happen when idle.

Could you also provide a snapshot of Resource Monitor with selected Disk Activity Tab and checked only System:

i would also suggest running checkdisk and sfc /scannow

Windows 10 constant intense disk activity when system is idle.  A possible solution. [​IMG]

AndreTen, Jun 19, 2020
  3. hemmo_uk Win User
    ServiceLayer.exe and constant disk activity

Hi

I wondered what process was causing HD activity every 5 seconds on my system.

File Monitor from Sysinternals reported that the servicelayer.exe performs a series of disk operations every 5 seconds, continuously. It tries to create a directory, fails because directory exists, opens PCCSConfig.dat, does an query on the file, performs three
    read operations, one query, one read etc ... until after 9 information queries and 32 reads the file is closed - and after 5 seconds the whole process is repeated. A File Monitor log file is attached showing the constant disk access.

Is all that constant disk activity really necessary or is it a bug?

PC Suite: Version 6.83.14.1

Connectivity Cable Drivers: Version 6.83.9.0

PC Connectivity Solution: Version 7.7.10.0

Cheers,

-jh

ServiceLayerLog.LOG

hemmo_uk, Jun 19, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 constant intense disk activity when system is idle. A possible solution.

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 constant intense disk activity when system is idle. A possible solution.

1. Windows 10 constant intense disk activity when system is idle. A possible solution. - Similar Threads - constant intense disk

2. Solution : Drive unduly marked as "System" when creating a system disk image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Solution : Drive unduly marked as "System" when creating a system disk image: Hi,Many of us are, for some reason, still using the legacy disk image backup utility of Windows. Sometimes, the backup utility insists on including in the image a drive that has nothing to do with system but is marked as "system" anyway. You can't exclude this disk from the...
  3. Disk Active when idle after 10-15 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Active when idle after 10-15 minutes: What can cause this event?After about 5-10 minutes of system idle, there was a lot of disk activity on disk G:If you press some button or move mouse Active time will suddenly become 0%, In normally working-------------------------------------------------------------------When...
  4. Disk Active when idle after 10-15 minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Active when idle after 10-15 minutes: What can cause this event?After about 5-10 minutes of system idle, there was a lot of disk activity on disk G:If you press some button or move mouse Active time will suddenly become 0%, In normally working-------------------------------------------------------------------When...
  5. Disk Active when idle after 10-15 minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. A possible solution to Wifi USB adapter constantly disconnecting in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A possible solution to Wifi USB adapter constantly disconnecting in Windows 10: Since I have bought a new computer I have been using a wireless USB adapter that I previously used on my old windows 7 PC, it's worth mentioning that this new PC I have requires a fair bit of power. Anyway I had been having this problem where it would constantly drop out at...
  7. Constant disk activity from "system" process

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Constant disk activity from "system" process: Is it possible to limit how much logging and other writing to disk the system process (ntoskrnl.exe) does? If you look at the disk activity with task manager you'll see that system has a cycle, usually 10-15 seconds of writing at a rate of 0,1Mbs or so depending on your...
  8. Constant Hard Disk Activity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Constant Hard Disk Activity: My hard disk spins constantly -- absolutely never stops. Checked disk monitor which shows it running at 100% almost every second. Then checked resource monitor which shows the following svchost.exe UniStackSvcGroup or System will have Read/Write bits per second at 1-2...
  9. Is it possible to change the "color intensity" of the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it possible to change the "color intensity" of the taskbar?: Hi everyone, I'm liking what I see about Windows 10 so far, but one thing that does bother me is the vibrancy of the colors of the start menu and task bar. I would prefer a more pastel color theme, but so far I haven't been able to find how to do that. I've tried following...
  10. Constant hard disk activity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Constant hard disk activity: My pc runs an SSD for windows but I have a secondary internal mechanical 3 TB hard drive. Tonight it sounds like the mechanical hard drive is in constant activity. I checked task manager and it's not showing any usage, 0% as expected so I am wondering why it is busily...