Windows 10: Windows 10 Constantly having to run things like defragment and disk clean up to try and keep it at l

Discus and support Windows 10 Constantly having to run things like defragment and disk clean up to try and keep it at l in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Let me start off by saying, I had not used Windows products since XP and I had terrible problems with it then that led me to switch to a Mac Book Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NoName89, Feb 7, 2020.

1. NoName89 Win User

Windows 10 Constantly having to run things like defragment and disk clean up to try and keep it at l

Let me start off by saying, I had not used Windows products since XP and I had terrible problems with it then that led me to switch to a Mac Book Pro for seven years before the hard drive failed and due to its age, it was not worth fixing unfortunately, it was more usable and faster than my 6 month old windows 10 computer. I was hesitant to purchase a windows computer again after the trouble I had with my two XP computers failed hardware, constant blue screens, slow performance, constantly running chk dsk etc. oh, and refusal to acknowledge a purchased extended warranty, but due to circumstances I had to purchase one in spite of my reservations about its usability and Microsoft's customer service. However, I hoped to be proved wrong..... I was not. Instead in 6 months I have had more problems an lost files than I had in 7 years with a Mac. Here are the reasons why I will never purchase another windows computer again:

1. Its slow: takes forever to open either the start menu or an app 3 yr old iPad runs faster than my computer with not even half the ram

2. It will barely run some third party apps such as Google Chrome.

3. Constantly having to run things like defragment and disk clean up to try and keep it at least usable.

4. Hard Reset: forced to complete a hard reset in an attempt to solve keyboard and touch pad problems. Ended up with the same problem and lost subscriptions to office and McAfee.

5. Customer service is atrocious: it has taken me two months to try and get my Office subscription restored. Unfortunately since I purchased through a third party site, didn't keep the code and Windows system did not link my subscription to my email even though it said it did, there is no recovering it.

6. Tech support was a joke. I told him three times I dont have a search bar on my menu, and can access it through the gear icon...he still didnt understand it and kept telling to search for settings.

7. Its clunky and a lot of times counter intuitive.

8. I dont like Microsoft receiving telemetry from my computer even with all the sharing controls turned off.

I cannot wait until I can afford a new or used Mac computer again. Between their great run speed, usability, and fantastic customer service when my 7 yr old mac died a tech spent two hours with me trying to get it back up and running even though it was out of warranty and it didnt cost me a thing. The only time I will use windows 10 or any windows product willingly is when I am at work. Windows is a joke.

:)

NoName89, Feb 7, 2020

2. Microsoft Drive Optimizer mistakenly lists SATA hard disk drive as SSD and will not defragment the drive

It sure looks like a Windows 10 bug. The OS knows it is a SATA disk drive but the disk properties > defrag shows it as SDD which is wrong. The only problem this has caused is not being able to run Windows defrag on the disk. So - I downloaded a FREE defrag
    program and run it to clean up the disk.

I suggest using either of these 2 defrag programs:

www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag

www.piriform.com/defraggler

Dave

DavidELindsay, Feb 24, 2020
  3. Disk Defragmenter won't let me defrag my HDD

Andrew E, your post is slightly misleading, as anything run from the command prompt, even with admin elevation still runs under Windows so files in use will still not be defragged.

You would need a 3rd party app that runs before Windows loads to properly defrag the HDD.

Also Windows defrag will not touch files over a certain size (hence the suggestion to remove the page file), so if your HDD has lots of large files saved in non contiguous sectors defragging will have a minimal effect.

Also even though a disk clean-up is good practice to remove unnecessary files it is not a required step as those files will be defragmented along with any other files defrag can work with.

The main thing the original poster needs to be aware of is that running any defrag app while the Optane acceleration is active could lead to file system errors and possibly break his Windows installation.

The reason being that the Optane driver expects to find the files its caching to be in a particular place on the HDD.

I suggest you read the Optane guides and information on the Intel website and forums before suggesting the original poster tries to defrag using any method.

PeterLeonard1, Feb 24, 2020
  4. Liezl Fal Win User

Windows 10 Constantly having to run things like defragment and disk clean up to try and keep it at l

Disc clean up and defrag

Hi Mia,

If you want to run disc clean up on your computer, you would need to do it manually.

Here is the link to the steps:
    Disk Cleanup in Windows 10

To defrag the files, please check out this link:
    Defragmenting Files

We're here for any feedback.

Regards.

Liezl Fal, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Constantly having to run things like defragment and disk clean up to try and keep it at l - Similar Threads - Constantly having run

2. Defrag runs constantly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defrag runs constantly: Win10 64. Defrag runs constantly, grinding away at my hard drives for no reason. The both drives are 0% fragmented, except for system reserved files which are 40% fragmented and defrag will not touch them. The Defrag is OFF, how do I stop the system running defrag every time...
  3. Defrag runs constantly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defrag runs constantly: Win10 64. Defrag runs constantly, grinding away at my hard drives for no reason. The both drives are 0% fragmented, except for system reserved files which are 40% fragmented and defrag will not touch them. The Defrag is OFF, how do I stop the system running defrag every time...
  4. Defrag runs constantly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disk Defragment running on the background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Defragment running on the background: Disk Defragment running on the background, and taking up 70% CPU and 40% RAM. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-defragment-running-on-the-background/78feffd5-93b7-4c7c-a8fb-2bdd49dc6c83
  6. Disk Defragment running on the background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Defragment running on the background: Disk Defragment running on the background, and taking up 70% CPU and 40% RAM. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-defragment-running-on-the-background/78feffd5-93b7-4c7c-a8fb-2bdd49dc6c83
  7. Defragment and Disk Clean Up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragment and Disk Clean Up: Hello, I work from home, my system is starting to run slow and have issues. I am wanting to di a defragment and a disk clean up but when doing these i want to make sure it is not going to clear the cache or cookies as i have to get approval for some sites and want to be...
  8. Disk Defragment Always Runs at boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk Defragment Always Runs at boot: I'm running windows 10. I am having issues with my disk drive usage being 100%, particularly at boot. One of the culprits is the Disk Defragment. I opened "Defragment and Optimize Drives" and I set a schedule for weekly but have since found that it still runs every time I...
  9. Windows Disk Defrag not running as scheduled.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Disk Defrag not running as scheduled.: Have a HP laptop running Win 10 Home. Has a SSD drive. Have Disk Defrag scheduled to run weekly. It has yet to run a scheduled defrag/optimization. No error messages, and if I run it manually, it runs as expected. Computer is left plugged in and powered up almost all the...
  10. DRIVE ? in disk defragmented after clean install

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    DRIVE ? in disk defragmented after clean install: [img] how to deleted a drive ?? please help 97306