Windows 10: Windows 10 constantly loosing manual DNS entries?

Discus and support Windows 10 constantly loosing manual DNS entries? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I bought two new Windows 10 laptops and configured the DNS to OpenDNS, primarily to limit malware. However, when I returned to the laptops the next... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MichaelEPQ, May 22, 2019.

1. Windows 10 constantly loosing manual DNS entries?

I bought two new Windows 10 laptops and configured the DNS to OpenDNS, primarily to limit malware.

However, when I returned to the laptops the next day or even a few hours later, the DNS settings are gone, and the connection is reset to the original default setting.

I don't know if maybe windows did an update to the drivers and restarted, but I don't like it and would like it to remember the DNS always.

Changing on my router is not an option as I need it to work more when I am outside the house not at home.

Thank you

:)

MichaelEPQ, May 22, 2019

2. Windows 10 DNS leak

No, went with a different 3rd party suggestion. Works better. I'm reliant on others for my tech needs that way.

the54thvoid, May 22, 2019
  3. Finners Win User
    Windows 10 DNS leak

Did you just manually set your DNS server to google DNS or similar?

Finners, May 22, 2019
  4. Windows 10 constantly loosing manual DNS entries?

How prevent users from manually entrying different DNS server IPs on their computer.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Is your device connected to domain network?

Try the below suggested method to prevent users from manually entering different DND server IP’s.

Method 1

Stop DNS client from Services.msc. To do so,

1. Open the run command and type in services.msc.
    2. Locate DNS Client, right click and click on
      Properties.
    3. From General tab > Disabled under startup type.
    4. Click on OK.

Method 2

Change the startup type Of DNS client from Registry.

Note: This method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you
    follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322756/how-to-back-up-and-restore-the-registry-in-windows

1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Dnscache and locate
      Start registry key
    2. Double click on Start and edit the value data from
      2 to 4.
    3. Restart the device and check the status.

However, if the system is in domain network I would suggest you to post your query in
    IT TechNet forums, who will assist you with
    the further steps.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, May 22, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 constantly loosing manual DNS entries?

1. Windows 10 constantly loosing manual DNS entries? - Similar Threads - constantly loosing manual

2. Weird mshome.net DNS entries

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird mshome.net DNS entries: Hi, so just out of curiosity I ran an ipconfig /displaydns, which showed me lots of entries, but the mshome.net ones looked suspicious, so I ran a ipconfig /flushdns and immediatley after that I ran another ipconfig /displaydns. Now all the entries except the mshome.net...
  3. Forced to manually set DNS - problem only on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Forced to manually set DNS - problem only on Windows 10: I have read about this problem before but I am wondering if there is a solution rather than this workaround. All other devices on the LAN have no problems just my Windows machine, both Wi-fi and ethernet have the same problem. So I had to manually set a DNS, this just...
  4. DNS Entry Information

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS Entry Information: Where can I find DNS information similar to the information I can get from ipconfig /displaydns? Are they stored in a file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-entry-information/9324db66-26da-484e-acf0-ec07491301cd
  5. WSUS Manual Entry

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WSUS Manual Entry: Odd question for MS Experts. I have a WSUS environment, and 99% of my servers report to it. This makes it very useful as a list of servers and workstations. But there are 1% of our servers that are in the DMZ or off network. I want to use the list of my WSUS computers to...
  6. Suspicious entries in dns cache

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Suspicious entries in dns cache: I've spotted some suspicious entries in the dns cache. The domains seem to be of chinese origin and they have been reported by some as malware. I've run anti-malware programs, flushed the dns cache, changed the preferred dns, restarted my computer and so on, but they are...
  7. Suspicious entries in dns cache

Suspicious entries in dns cache: I've spotted some suspicious entries in the dns cache. The domains seem to be of chinese origin and they have been reported by some as malware. I've run anti-malware programs, flushed the dns cache, changed the preferred dns, restarted my computer and so on, but they are...
  8. DNS Cache Suspicious Entries

DNS Cache Suspicious Entries: Hello, I have a DNS entry which never goes away even after flushing it multiple times and restarting the machine. I would like to know if there is a way to identify which program/application is constantly trying to access the network so that I can remove this suspicious...
  9. constant dns error

constant dns error: I have a brand new HP computer, it is windows 10 with EDGE.. I am having issues with getting connected to some websites, it says page needs to refresh or is giving me a DNS error code, I am currently overseas, and oddly have not had issues connecting to my bank or other...
  10. NAS looses DNS name

NAS looses DNS name: Since two weeks, I can not find my QNAP NAS with the name, only with the ip address. After a forced restart, everything is back. But after the automatic shut down over the night and automatic restart the day after, the problem is back. The only difference between the...