Windows 10: Windows 10 Contiunual Updates And How They May Effect Older Hardware

Discus and support Windows 10 Contiunual Updates And How They May Effect Older Hardware in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In the past, as with windows 7, every update added functionality and never took anything away. I am concerned with this new windows 10 model of semi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AshMiller900, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Contiunual Updates And How They May Effect Older Hardware

In the past, as with windows 7, every update added functionality and never took anything away.

I am concerned with this new windows 10 model of semi annual updates. I am concerned that they will start dropping support for older drivers (this has been verified on certain laptops LAN adapters in another discussion). Also concerned it may make me eventually update costly software.

Security is a concern for me but not as much as keeping my machine functional, i have decided to let my newer dell laptop get this update, however i have a machine built in 2013 (with extremely powerful components) that is still keeping pace with the new models. this machine still uses optical drives, TV tuner cards. Tons of software that is aging but still functions fine. I saw the pop up under updates saying it was being checked to see if it was capable of this 1903 update.

Immediately I went into the registry and created keys to prevent these major updates from hitting this machine in fear the hoards of software and older hardware being no longer supported (TV tuner is probably 10 years old but currently 100% functional).

Microsoft has taken on a model that now they are even dropping security patches for older versions of windows 10 in 2 years or less, under the old method they would continue to support and OS for 10 years and service packs rarely broke anything.

I am posting this discussion for people using older hardware or older software that was initially compatible with windows 10. Has anyone run into lots of issues updating? this goes for both the update process and the clean install. Some of us have computers that took an extreme amount of time and even a clean install would not be worth the trouble of having to reconfigure the entire machine.

Is anyone deciding to just stop these updates at some point forgoing security on a machine that serves a vital role and still functions very well (mine is a server that hosts media files to all of my television sets, has TV DVR functions, Has veritas backup software, has many background processes, and also uses a lot of legacy hardware well) i cannot afford to have this machine lose capabilities due to continual Microsoft updates and im not ready to shell out the cash for newer hardware and software when my current setup works 100 percent fine. Yes i could simply restore the OS with veritas much better than any windows rollback option, but it seems to me at some point you will probably have to start refusing to let windows get the fall and spring content updates.

what are everyone's thoughts and experience with this. i know many system may have initially been on the endangered species list but just barely met the initial windows 10 requirements, i have no machine this old, but our machines, no matter how old, sometimes just have to still function and stay in place for many years regardless of security loopholes if newer software is going to render them broken in some fashion.

:)

AshMiller900, Jul 8, 2019

2. Windows 10 Support for Older Hardware Encountering Difficulties, Cut Off

As part of its new "Windows as a Service" model, Microsoft elected to provide users with a guaranteed, steady stream of updates with virtually no clear, hard-defined EOL. However, Microsoft took refuge, as well it should, from an increasingly difficult support for different hardware sets: a little footnote, saying that you are eligible for Windows 10 for the "supported lifetime of the device." Yes, it's true you now don't have to purchase a new Windows version. But that also means that your devices potentially won't be supported for Microsoft's previous 5 + 5 policy (meaning, 5 years of feature and security updates, and 5 extra years for security updates only.)

The systems in question - built around Intel's Clover Trail Atom processors - are generally low-cost, low-power machines (mainly 2-in-1) released between 2012 and 2015 under Windows 8 and 8.1. These systems were deemed ready to receive Windows 10; however, they are currently blocked from installing Windows 10 Version 1703 - the "Creators Update." Attempts to install result in a message saying that "Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC." The problem is that each Windows 10 update receives security fixes for just 18 months. Version 1607, the latest that these Clover Trail machines can install, will drop out of support in early 2018 - after which they'll cease to receive any patches at all.

Windows 10 Contiunual Updates And How They May Effect Older Hardware nkRysjKKdnYY16ua_thm.jpg

Windows 10 Contiunual Updates And How They May Effect Older Hardware ktsXuuLDOajiJRqv_thm.jpg

This problem may yet be temporary, however, since Acer has issued an official support response to this issue, which I transcribe below:

"The following Intel Clover Trail processors are currently not supported on Windows 10 Creators Update:

• Atom Z2760
    • Atom Z2520
    • Atom Z2560
    • Atom Z2580
    Microsoft is working with us to help provide compatible drivers to address this incompatibility. If you install the Windows 10 creators update, icons and text may not appear at all, or may show up as solid color blocks or bars. If you have already installed Creators Update and are experiencing problems, you can use Windows 10 recovery options to restore your system to the previous build."

Even if this problem is temporary, though, it begs the question: how temporary is it? And how soon will these systems (or others, for that matter) start encountering compatibility problems again? Because as hardware evolves and Windows 10 carries on with its updates, the amount of possible hardware configurations will only increase - hardware configurations, and hardware platforms, for which the Redmond company will have to bake in support. And it stands to reason that Microsoft will continuously prefer to support new and newer systems, choosing to prioritize these over older hardware configurations.

Sources: ZDNet, ArsTechnica

Raevenlord, Jul 8, 2019
  3. Lock Screen Fade to Desktop Effect Not Working

Hi,

Before we assist you let us know few details,

• Did you made any changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• Have you created any system restore point on your computer?

As initial troubleshooting steps I suggest you to install the latest windows 10 updates, please follow the steps to install all the windows updates.

If you want to check for the update now, select the Start button, then select
    Settings > Update & security >
    Windows Update > Check for updates.

We suggest you to try changing the visual effect setting. To Change your Visual Effects Settings in Advanced System Settings refer the below steps,

• Press Windows logo key+ X

• Click on Control panel

• Select System and Security

• Click on System

• And select System protection

• Select Advanced tab and click on
      Settings

• Now select the option Let Windows choose what’s best for my computer
      option.

And check if this helps to resolve the issue.

Hope this information helps with best visual effect on your device.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Jul 8, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Contiunual Updates And How They May Effect Older Hardware

Older program not working after installing KB3163018 update on Windows 10.

Hi Fritz,

The above issue might occur due to incompatibility of the program with the update installed on the computer.

Before we assist further, which is the “older program” you are referring to in the above description?

I suggest you to install the program in Compatibility mode by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

Compatibility mode runs the program in the current version of Windows using the settings from previous version of Windows.

Step 1: Install the device drivers manually in
    Compatibility mode.

• Locate and right-click on the program setup file downloaded/saved on the PC and select
      Properties from the context menu.

• Click on the compatibility tab, check the box
      Run this program in compatibility mode for, select Windows 8.1/7 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.

• After the installation is complete, restart the computer and check if the changes are effective.

Step 2: You can also follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard and type
      Run programs made for previous versions of Windows.

• Select the top most search result and follow from
      step 2
      from the article Make older programs compatible with this version of
      Windows
      (Also applies to Windows 10).

• Check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the answer to the above questions and the status of compatibility of the older program installed on the computer in the same post for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Contiunual Updates And How They May Effect Older Hardware

1. Windows 10 Contiunual Updates And How They May Effect Older Hardware - Similar Threads - Contiunual Updates May

2. Windows 10 May update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 May update: After having the 2004 update sitting in the Windows Update section for months saying it's not ready yet it finally said go ahead and update. So I started the update and it all chugged along until the restart which went fine and then as it came back up the BSOD appeared, it...
  3. How to block the Windows 10 May 2020 update

in Windows 10 News
    How to block the Windows 10 May 2020 update: Microsoft plans to release the Windows 10 May 2020 (Windows 10 version 2004) update in the coming days. The new feature update for Windows 10 will be rolled out over time to systems running Windows 10. How it is offered to you depends for the most part on the versions of...
  4. Hardware change effects on Windows 10

Hardware change effects on Windows 10: Hi all, I am looking to replace my motherboard and CPU soon and I have heard that changing hardware, particularly the motherboard, can affect your windows installation. I started with Windows XP years ago and brought a windows XP to Windows 8.1 upgrade CD and then later...
  5. Windows 10 May update

Windows 10 May update: The above update caused my PC and wi-fi to fail, [ unable to access the Internet ]. Then I discovered that the wi-fi would work only when the PC was powered down. Recovering the PC to an earlier date, only caused more problems. Programme said faults had been detected, and a...
  6. WINDOWS 10 MAY UPDATE

WINDOWS 10 MAY UPDATE: I did the May update and my screen is dim and I can't get it to go to bright, my screen was bright before the update. I contacted HP and their tech tried to get the brightness back but he couldn't, everything was fine until I did the update. I need my screen bright because I...
  7. windows 10 may update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows 10 may update: it is still not out when will it be out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-may-update/69576570-c3e3-4d81-a9e6-6ba94718b009"
  8. Older Hardware Windows 10 or 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Older Hardware Windows 10 or 7: I have a dell e6500 latitude just using it for general use, currently running windows 10 1903 see attachment for specs would guys recommended downgrading to 7 or sticking with 10 will i see a significant improvement if not ill stick with 10 132361
  9. New Windows 10 install on older hardware crashes frequently

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New Windows 10 install on older hardware crashes frequently: This post is a bit lengthy but please allow me to give an overview of the history. I recently installed Windows 10 Pro on a machine which is very old, originally purchased in 2009 (specs below). Until this week it was still running Windows Vista as I didn't have the money to...
  10. Activating windows 10 after hardware change - version mismatch - how to install older...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating windows 10 after hardware change - version mismatch - how to install older...: Sorry if this has been asked before, could not find it. I just finished installing new motherboard and cpu. Linked my license before that to my account. Created bootable USB from my old windows version 10.0.17134.376. Installed fresh windows from that same USB after the...