Windows 10: Windows 10 Control Panel Devices & Printers not working properly

Discus and support Windows 10 Control Panel Devices & Printers not working properly in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have been running into a problem recently with the devices and printers control panel not populating newly installed printers (or devices) or even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JayCoul21, Nov 7, 2019.

1. JayCoul21 Win User

Windows 10 Control Panel Devices & Printers not working properly

I have been running into a problem recently with the devices and printers control panel not populating newly installed printers (or devices) or even removing them after uninstalling. The printer will be listed in Device Manager and you can choose it in any program as a printer and it will print fine. The main problem is that this makes it incredibly difficult to manage any installed printers. Uninstalling it through device manager leaves a mess with the ports and any kind of troubleshooting is a pain.

Even if a newly installed printer appears in the panel, when you set it to default it won't show the green check mark icon unless you highlight it and look at the information at the bottom of the window. Restarting seems to be hit or miss that it will appear and restarting the Print Spooler service doesn't help either. There are also times when the status will be stuck on "Device setup in progress", even though you can use the device or print perfectly fine, sometimes there will even be multiple devices stuck with that status.

The PCs that this is occurring on are Dell OptiPlex 5060s on Windows 10 1903, printers installed as network TCP/IP printers.

:)

JayCoul21, Nov 7, 2019
  2. Tbrox Win User

Windows 10 search no longer finds Devices and printers inside control panel

This last Windows 10 update has blocked my ability to jump right to "Devices and Printers" that is located inside the control panel by using the search feature. I use to be able to just search for the keyword "Printers" and it would show up at the top
    of the search list. After the last windows 10 upgrade that stopped working. Seem as though Windows 10 wants to force us to use the new "Settings" app. which I dislike for printer controls. Is there a way to force Windows 10 to find the "Devices and Printers"
    controls that are located within the Control Panel? As of now I search for Control Panel, open it and click on Devices and Printers. This is more steps than before and annoying.

Tbrox, Nov 7, 2019
  3. Control Panel... Devices and Printers content

Hi,

Thank you for the reply and update.

As there is a delay in opening the Devices and Printers content from the Control Panel, suggest you to follow this alternative method of opening the same screen to check if that helps.

• Press “Windows key + I” to get the Settings screen.

• Click on “Devices” and click on “Devices and printers”.

If there are external devices connected then pc takes some time to communicate with those devices and then the screen opens up.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Nov 7, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Control Panel Devices & Printers not working properly

windows 10 VERY slow when trying to open Devices & Printers?

Although I appreciate your offer for suggestions as you can see by the post dates, this thread is a bit long in the tooth. The issue was resolved with one of the updated builds of windows 10. Although in my opinion it's still not as fast as Windows 7, it's nowhere near as slow as it was in summer 2016 when I posted this issue.

Thread issue resolved

jboydgolfer, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Control Panel Devices & Printers not working properly

1. Windows 10 Control Panel Devices & Printers not working properly - Similar Threads - Control Panel Devices

2. No option to open Device and Printers in control panel in Windows 11 22h2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No option to open Device and Printers in control panel in Windows 11 22h2: In previous versions of windows 11 and windows 10, I was able to access the devices and printers options from control panel instead of settings. Now the devices and printers from control panel opens the settings, which lack some options, especially the option to turn on or...
  3. No option to open Device and Printers in control panel in Windows 11 22h2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No option to open Device and Printers in control panel in Windows 11 22h2: In previous versions of windows 11 and windows 10, I was able to access the devices and printers options from control panel instead of settings. Now the devices and printers from control panel opens the settings, which lack some options, especially the option to turn on or...
  4. No option to open Device and Printers in control panel in Windows 11 22h2

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. No option to open Device and Printers in control panel in Windows 11 22h2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How to add keyboard device in Device and Printers Control panel?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to add keyboard device in Device and Printers Control panel?: As you see in device manager I already have keyboard but not in Control Panel> Device and Printers. I already add device. but not worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-keyboard-device-in-device-and-printers/944f4ccc-8ee2-4202-88e9-b5c7255545e2
  7. Can't find Devices and Printers control panel applet?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't find Devices and Printers control panel applet?: I've been trying to find the Devices and Printers control panel applet but can't find it anywhere by search or by directly typing it in in Explorer. I'm on Version 2004, was it removed recently? submitted by /u/tgp1994 [link] [comments]...
  8. The Theming is not working properly in the programs and features of the classic control panel

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The Theming is not working properly in the programs and features of the classic control panel: The Theming is not working properly in the programs and features of classic control panel when turning on dark theme of explorer programs and features is illegible and inoperable due to not being able to read it This is the issue in the image below [ATTACH]...
  9. Easier access to Devices and Printers - Sound Control Panel possible?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Easier access to Devices and Printers - Sound Control Panel possible?: One of my biggest annoyances with Windows 10 is that all of useful system configuration and utilities are hidden behind the less than useful new Windows 10 windows. Is there anyway to bring these type of windows back to the forefront rather than having to drill down through...
  10. After Windows 10 update, Control Panel shows printer installed and working properly, but...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After Windows 10 update, Control Panel shows printer installed and working properly, but...: Actually, none of the four wireless printers that were working prior to the latest update now show up when I attempt to select a printer from a word processing application (I have two and have tried both), browser (I have three, and have tried them all), etc. When I right...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. devices and printers in control panel not responding