Windows 10: Windows 10, copy to USB drives is crawling, almost dead. Why? Windows7 is 60 times faster!

Discus and support Windows 10, copy to USB drives is crawling, almost dead. Why? Windows7 is 60 times faster! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Why do I have Windows 10 copying files to USB hard disks and flash memory sticks down to 60 times slower than it was on windows 7? I have a 6 years... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Hale_ru, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Hale_ru Win User

Windows 10, copy to USB drives is crawling, almost dead. Why? Windows7 is 60 times faster!

Why do I have Windows 10 copying files to USB hard disks and flash memory sticks down to 60 times slower than it was on windows 7?

I have a 6 years old pocket USB HDD. Formatted to NTFS, defragged windows defrags attached HDDs, right? so it is

A source located at system SSD, so it is blazing fast to read.

Write cache is enabled in device manager. I repeat, write cache is manually enabled! while win10 sets it to disabled for newfound drives

Windows 7 copies to USB-HDD constantly at 50-60 Mb/s.

Windows 10 1909 build 18363.592 starts at 60 Mb/s, then suddenly drops to 60 kb/s!...Then it can return back to 20-60mb/s and drop to kb/s again.... so it takes at least three times longer to copy the same amount of data; then the amount is larger than a pair of Mb.

With USB memory sticks it becomes even worse. While USB sticks are generally faster than a plain HDD I use.... I get average 500kb/s-1 mb/s instead of 20-50 mb/s by design.Cache enabled.

I was checking this in google, and it seems to be a systematic problem plaguing computers starting from 2016. And it is still there.

The standard "support" recommendations:

- turn on write cache in device manager *does not help

- defrag your drive *does not help. Useless and bad for flash/nand SSDs.

- format NTFS *formatted by default. reformatting using win10 does not help.

- change to another pc *tried multiple PCs and laptops, only those with windows 7 copy data well

Did I miss something?

Is there an explanation why Microsoft keeps the situation without change from 2016?

Windows 10, copy to USB drives is crawling, almost dead. Why? Windows7 is 60 times faster! 7232aa2e-cbf1-4c3d-a3bd-c85dcf989931?upload=true.png

:)

Hale_ru, Feb 11, 2020
  2. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Feb 11, 2020
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Agility Win User

Windows 10, copy to USB drives is crawling, almost dead. Why? Windows7 is 60 times faster!

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10, copy to USB drives is crawling, almost dead. Why? Windows7 is 60 times faster! - Similar Threads - copy USB drives

2. Lenovo B50 OS windows7 need USB to boot every time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo B50 OS windows7 need USB to boot every time: I am facing a strange problem. I installed Windows 7 on my laptop From DVD after installation system did not boot just Lenovo and the black screen again and again.I re-installed Windows from a bootable USB. Now I have to use my USB to boot every time. Without USB System the...
  3. Lenovo B50 OS windows7 need USB to boot every time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lenovo B50 OS windows7 need USB to boot every time: I am facing a strange problem. I installed Windows 7 on my laptop From DVD after installation system did not boot just Lenovo and the black screen again and again.I re-installed Windows from a bootable USB. Now I have to use my USB to boot every time. Without USB System the...
  4. Unable to remove dead copy of windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to remove dead copy of windows: I got my computer all rebuilt today, including a new SSD. The new SSD is the boot disk and I was able to install windows on it with no trouble. Now I would like to format the previous drive, which is still attached to the system and which I would like to use as storage....
  5. Is my USB drive dead?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is my USB drive dead?: Hello! I'm wondering if my USB drive is officially dead, and if I can take it anywhere to get it repaired. It's not being detected anywhere. File Explorer, Device Manager, and even Disk Management....
  6. Windows 10 is slowing to a crawl

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 is slowing to a crawl: Hey I've got Windows 10 v1909 and recently it became terribly slow. I had problems with BSOD for which i've consulted with the community and disabled Intel Turbo Boost 3 and uninstalled Kaspersky since they thought it might be conflicting with Malewarebytes. I've done a...
  7. blue screen of dead have windows 10 backup on usb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    blue screen of dead have windows 10 backup on usb drive: i have backup of windows 10 on usb drive. options of blue screen of dead does not see drive. how do i get system to see usb drive to reload windows 10?...
  8. Copy files faster!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy files faster!: Good evening, Dear Sir / Madam, I have an external HDD of 465 GB and I have 360 GB of space. Is it nice to tell me how can I copy it to internal HDD faster? I mention that I tried using the Windows 10 Home utility and it takes over 3 hours. Thank you! Wait for response! A...
  9. Almost DEAD Ethernet connection ..

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Almost DEAD Ethernet connection ..: Hello I have two desktop PCs. One is a TV Media Centre PC (good ol' Windows 7) - wired to the Router, the other my working PC (Windows 10) runs on the network using 'Homeplug' type technology. I also have a number of wireless tablet/phone devices in the house. Only very...
  10. Boot time faster?

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot time faster?: Hi there, a question to all the testers out there: Are boot times of Win 10 installed on an SSD faster than on 8.1? With and without fast startup....?! Thanx for anwering 1989