Windows 10: Windows 10 (corporate environment) - desktop shortcut keys (properties, shortcut key) for...

Discus and support Windows 10 (corporate environment) - desktop shortcut keys (properties, shortcut key) for... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My custom shortcut keys / hotkeys for desktop shortcuts (for example, to say that keystroke combination control-shift-alt-N opens Notepad) work fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by johnqflorida, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Windows 10 (corporate environment) - desktop shortcut keys (properties, shortcut key) for...

My custom shortcut keys / hotkeys for desktop shortcuts (for example, to say that keystroke combination control-shift-alt-N opens Notepad) work fine until I logoff. Next time, they don't work (even though the shortcut properties display that the keys are still active.)

Background: Desktop shortcuts can have a custom hotkey assigned as follows: Right click the shortcut, choose properties, click into the 'Shortcut key' box, pick a keyboard combination, then hit Apply, then OK). (If you don't use these, give it a try, you'll love it.) (More background, I have all these shortcuts on my desktop (which along with the start menu, are the two places where you have to save them, if you want the custom shortcut key to work.)

Problem:

It seems to be after logging off or restarting. When I return, hitting my saved shortcut-key combination will not activate the application (none of them will). The definitions still appear within the shortcuts, so if I right-click and look at properties, the shortcut keys I saved, still show up listed on the properties dialog box, but they don't work.

More background: With the pre-existing ones not working, I can create a NEW shortcut to something else, assign a new (different keystroke combination) custom shortcut key, apply and store it, and THAT new custom shortcut key will work, until the next logoff/restart.

What I've tried:

I found suggestions about Region settings and Language settings (I've only got one region and language selected, so that tip didn't apply), the registry ("nowinkeys", but that did not apply, it had NOT been previously disabled), and group policy edit ("turn off windows hotkeys"), but again, it had not been disabled previously. I've tried re-saving the shortcuts. And I have them specifically on the desktop, which is where they're supposed to be.

So, what's going on? Any ideas?

:)

johnqflorida, Oct 16, 2019
  2. grecinos Win User

Windows 10 shortcut key not working - Please help

Hey guys,

I'm trying to create a shortcut key for a program/script that turns off my monitor. I've confirmed that the small program is working by double clicking on it. The problem I'm having is that when I go to create a shortcut key for it. First I create a shortcut to the program, then I set a shortcut key, say "ctrl-shift-s". After applying the changes, clicking Ok, I try to use the shortcut by pressing the ctrl-shift-s key combination. When I do this, nothing happens. I've confirmed that shortcut keys works with other apps like the Command Prompt. Does anyone have any insight to this?

Cheers,

grecinos

grecinos, Oct 16, 2019
  3. shortcut key

Hi Devanshu,

To get a shortcut key for the calculator, go to your desktop and then follow these steps for Windows 10

1. Open the start menu

2. Navigate to calculator in the apps list on the left hand side of the start menu

3. Click and drag the calculator app to your desktop

4. Right-click on calculator and open properties

5. In properties there should be an option to add a shortcut key

ArmadilloHead02, Oct 16, 2019
  4. Frick Win User

Windows 10 (corporate environment) - desktop shortcut keys (properties, shortcut key) for...

Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

Keyboard shortcuts to open programs:

Create a shortcut on the desktop to whatever program you want. Right click -> Properties and fill in the field there. Sadly the shortcut needs to remain on the desktop, but you can hide it.

Fun fact: If you had keyboard shortcuts for programs pinned to your Windows 7 start menu, those shortcuts still work when you update to Windows 10.

Frick, Oct 16, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 (corporate environment) - desktop shortcut keys (properties, shortcut key) for...

1. Windows 10 (corporate environment) - desktop shortcut keys (properties, shortcut key) for... - Similar Threads - corporate environment desktop

2. key shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    key shortcut: I'm wondering why pressing w+a+s at the same time cause me to use the q key, is this normal? I do not remember having this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/key-shortcut/c024b24d-831c-411d-b06c-4acdee2fc534
  3. key shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    key shortcut: I'm wondering why pressing w+a+s at the same time cause me to use the q key, is this normal? I do not remember having this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/key-shortcut/c024b24d-831c-411d-b06c-4acdee2fc534
  4. Shortcut keys not working on Desktop...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shortcut keys not working on Desktop...: Hello, I upgraded my PC to 21H1 recently , and I have started facing some problems one after the other... And now I am unable to use an shortcut keys while on the Desktop like the Home Screen on the Windows 10. I am unable to use the shortcut keys like:- F5 RefreshF2 Rename a...
  5. Shortcut Keys For Desktop Apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcut Keys For Desktop Apps: Im trying to use tvgamelauncher to seamlessly switch between monitors for when im racing and when im playing fps games so ive configured everything in the tvgamelauncher gui correctly and it all works however on my desktop shortcuts whatever shortcut key i make wont respond,...
  6. shortcut key

shortcut key: how to set a shortcut key for calcaulator https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-key/9d93c3c2-4cba-4a4e-83df-42495a130122
  7. Shortcut Keys

Shortcut Keys: How do you change or disable a shortcut key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/shortcut-keys/8cfcac7e-1e8a-49f3-8213-d7c4bf83966b
  8. shortcut keys

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    shortcut keys: Is there a list of short cut keys combination and what they do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/shortcut-keys/b5450fac-c842-42d9-b4df-2edb83237916
  9. shortcut keys

in Windows 10 Support
    shortcut keys: I use shortcut keys to open programs in various groups. By holding down ctrl-alt and tapping the assigned program letters, I can start opening 6-8 programs in a couple seconds. Or at least I could, until Win 10, where only one program opens unless I slow down the entries....
  10. Shortcut keys not working for a desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut keys not working for a desktop shortcut: I have a shortcut on the desktop. If you double click on it, it runs the target program just fine. Under 'properties' I have tried assigning various shortcut keys like Ctrl+Alt+N and none of them work. I have also deleted and recreated the desktop shortcut with no luck....