Windows 10: Windows 10 could get a new tool to kill app processes instantly

Discus and support Windows 10 could get a new tool to kill app processes instantly in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 could be getting a new way to terminate app processes without opening Task Manager. The idea is a simplified version of Task Manager that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Nov 19, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 could get a new tool to kill app processes instantly

Windows 10 could be getting a new way to terminate app processes without opening Task Manager. The idea is a simplified version of Task Manager that will allow users to kill app processes or programs which are hogging too much memory.

Windows 10 currently lets you right-click on the taskbar icons and select the ‘Close window’ option displayed at the bottom of the menu to close an app, but it doesn’t kill the app process completely.

If you want to terminate the app and its background processes, you still need to open Windows 10’s Task Manager or Xbox Game Bar’s Resources widgets where you have to locate the process and terminate it there.

The PowerToys team at Microsoft is now considering a new feature called “Quick Terminate” app that will allow users to end the process of the program using a ‘Terminate’ window or keyboard shortcut.

In other words, you can soon access a special menu or use a keyboard shortcut to select ‘terminate’ option to kill the program (if it isn’t not working – just like you can already do with Task Manager). This feature, if implemented, will kill the process immediately without waiting for additional user interaction.

It’ll be similar to Task Manager or open-source tools in terms of core functionality, but it would be easily accessible. Plus, you don’t have to go through the long list of running processes to kill a particular app.

According to the roadmap, Windows 10’s upcoming Quick Terminate app will be included in an update that will ship sometime next year.

Due to limited resources, Microsoft is currently focusing on bug fixes and performance improvements for the PowerToys. Advanced features like the Quick Terminate app and macOS-like cursor finder will be released next year.

It’s also worth noting that Microsoft is said to be working on another feature called “App Manager” that will give a breakdown of running processes on your PC and allow you to force an app to close.

The post Windows 10 could get a new tool to kill app processes instantly appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Nov 19, 2020
  2. borgus Win User

Auto-kill a process

Appreciate the suggestion. I use a .bat file here to do essentially what you describe, but my aim is to automate the process - no user intervention. A specified process opens; it spots and kills it. Closest that I have seen is an app that claims to do this on a schedule.

borgus, Nov 19, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Auto-kill a process

As I said, a trivial Autohotkey script - a permanent loop
    loop {
    If process exists - kill it
    sleep n
    }

(very roughly)

dalchina, Nov 19, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 could get a new tool to kill app processes instantly - Similar Threads - tool kill app

2. Windows 10...program wont launch, process keeps getting killed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10...program wont launch, process keeps getting killed: The program won't launch. It briefly shows up in services tab in task manager before killing off a second later. I've tried several things and managed to pull up event viewer to see the issue. This is apparently the repeated error that has been causing the process to close...
  3. Windows 10...program wont launch, process keeps getting killed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10...program wont launch, process keeps getting killed: The program won't launch. It briefly shows up in services tab in task manager before killing off a second later. I've tried several things and managed to pull up event viewer to see the issue. This is apparently the repeated error that has been causing the process to close...
  4. Windows 10...program wont launch, process keeps getting killed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows kills every process

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows kills every process: Windows kills 90% of my applications on startup i can watch it happen in task manager.Stuff like chrome and discord work ok while a miriad of programs like notepad, Photoshop, edge, and my games will not open... Even system restore stops after 2 seconds.Idk what to do as...
  6. App getting instantly suspended

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    App getting instantly suspended: [ATTACH] Wassup. So, I've encountered this problem on my friend's laptop first with a game called Friday Night Funkin', and now I'm having the same issue but with Terraria. About a year ago, Terraria was working fine on my PC, but now older versions and new versions don't...
  7. App getting instantly suspended

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    App getting instantly suspended: [ATTACH] Wassup. So, I've encountered this problem on my girlfriend's laptop first with a game called Friday Night Funkin', and now I'm having the same issue but with Terraria. About a year ago, Terraria was working fine on my PC, but now older versions and new versions...
  8. Windows 10 could be getting a new lightweight video, GIF editing tool

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 could be getting a new lightweight video, GIF editing tool: Windows 10 currently comes with built-in video recording tool that is part of the Xbox app and it works very well if you have to record a simple video of your actions in apps and games. To make video and GIF recording and editing easier for you, Microsoft is working on a new...
  9. Kill a Process in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Kill a Process in Windows 10: How to: Kill a Process in Windows 10 [img] Information A process is an instance of a program that is being executed. Each process running in Windows is assigned a unique decimal number called the process ID, or PID. If you notice a running process is reducing your...
  10. Auto-kill a process

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto-kill a process: Is there a way to auto-sense that a process has started and automatically kill it, without user intervention? I am aware of Auto-kill any process v.2.2, but that, according to one reviewer, requires user input. Thanks. 27047