Windows 10: Windows 10 crashed after update and is now unbootable

Discus and support Windows 10 crashed after update and is now unbootable in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A 32-bit Windows 10 1803 installation crashed yesterday afternoon, apparently when an update went awry. Afterwards, attempting to boot results in an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Katanga, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Katanga Win User

Windows 10 crashed after update and is now unbootable

A 32-bit Windows 10 1803 installation crashed yesterday afternoon, apparently when an update went awry. Afterwards, attempting to boot results in an Automatic Repair which always fails. I used a recovery command prompt to chkdsk /r /x, which found some corrupted files, and sfc /scannow, which found no problems. Still, it won't boot.

I have tried using restore points from the recovery console command prompt, to no avail. (The restore point fails when restoring the registry, with an error code of 0x80070002.)

Is there any other recourse short of reinstallation? Is Windows 10 really this fragile that a single update can render it unusable?

:)

Katanga, Oct 4, 2018
  2. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Oct 4, 2018
  3. Bug Report: Windows 10 rollback to Windows 7 crashes system, renders drive unbootable.

Hello Sam,

I realize that the rollback to previous Windows did not work from Windows 10 to Windows 7. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Did you get any error messages when the roll back stopped?
    • Is the operating system unbootable?
    • When was the Windows 10 upgraded?
    Please post to us with more information to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 4, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 crashed after update and is now unbootable - Similar Threads - crashed update unbootable

2. Unbootable laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unbootable laptop: After restarting my laptop after an update, my laptop won't boot properly. Every single time I try, it Automatic Repair attempts to repair, however all I get is a message that says "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC". I have tried using a bootable USB, however it does...
  3. Unbootable laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unbootable laptop: After restarting my laptop after an update, my laptop won't boot properly. Every single time I try, it Automatic Repair attempts to repair, however all I get is a message that says "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC". I have tried using a bootable USB, however it does...
  4. Windows update rendered PC unbootable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update rendered PC unbootable: Split from this thread. Hi I´ve just updated my windows to this version and crushed it. But this is the 3rd time. Every windows update I have to reinstall because I always try all options, stick bootable, run diagnostic, restore point I don't know why it exists never works,...
  5. Windows Update makes system unbootable

Windows Update makes system unbootable: Before the update my Razer hardware stopped working with windows but worked everywhere else installation and recovery. even UEFI Mouse didn't move the cursor, headset - no issues, only software doesn't see it. However I couldn't install the driver because installers...
  6. Windows 10 crashing after update

Windows 10 crashing after update: After updating Windows 10 the PC is crashing completely. How can I fix this without losing programs and files? Remembering that, for updating, the computer spent hours installing. It is a Dell Inspiron 15 5566....
  7. Windows 10 forcing bios updates leaving computer unbootable

Windows 10 forcing bios updates leaving computer unbootable: We have a fleet of desktops that all run various flavours of Asus motherboard. Recently I've discovered that their bios settings are getting messed up, which results in computers not being able to boot due to scrambled TPM settings. For some machines, the SATA setting is...
  8. Windows 10 Unbootable After Using Norton Utilities Defrag

Windows 10 Unbootable After Using Norton Utilities Defrag: Yet another victim of Norton Utilities Here! After running a defrag on my laptop using NU16 and then attempting to restart Win10, all I was getting was the splash screen w/spinning dots and my HDD light on steady. Somehow, the partition was corrupted after the defrag. I tried...
  9. Recent update made windows unbootable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recent update made windows unbootable: Hi, the latest windows update made it impossible for me to boot into windows. The system just restarts after the bios loads so I can't even get into safe mode or other options. I have a copy of Ubuntu on a second hard drive. Is there any way to fix my windows installation...
  10. May Update - Computer Unbootable

May Update - Computer Unbootable: Hello and thank for any help. After an update I'm fairly sure restarted my Windows 10 machine on Monday May 18th, I logged in to find many drivers not working, no internet, etc. Tried to restart, but wouldn't restart and Startup Repair failed. I was thankfully able to do...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows unbootable after update

2. windows 10 crashed after update

3. windows 10 version 1809 not finding update after crash