Windows 10: Windows 10 crashed during Upgrade. Unable to detect operating system.

Discus and support Windows 10 crashed during Upgrade. Unable to detect operating system. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm new here so pardon if there is any mistakes. Anyhow I am currently using windows 7 (not a fan of windows 8). Since windows 10 is released I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Perseides, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Perseides Win User

Windows 10 crashed during Upgrade. Unable to detect operating system.

I'm new here so pardon if there is any mistakes.

Anyhow I am currently using windows 7 (not a fan of windows 8). Since windows 10 is released I wanted to install and try it.
    Initially I installed windows 8.1 in my D:\ drive (works normally as far as I can tell), and upgrade it to windows 10. I am keeping my windows 7 in drive C: as I do not have any other working computer if the installation failed.

So halfway upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10, the upgrade failed and a restart is needed. When restarting I tried to reset the installation but even that is failed. When restarted again there is no operating system in that drive (drive D: ) ??

Currently I tried to reformat my drive D: (windows 10) with my current windows 7 (installed in drive C) but it says the volume is in use by another process but it refused.

Summary
    Drive C: - windows 7, still functioning properly
    Drive D - where windows 8.1 is located and upgraded to windows 10 but failed, currently cannot detect any os when i boot from drive D: , and cant format the drive.

I know its really stupid and complicated the way i installed my windows 8.1 with my windows 7 intact, but I'm worried if the installation failed, I have no backup computer to fall back. Is there any suggestions that I can do?

:)

Perseides, Jul 30, 2015

2. Free Windows 10 upgrade

I used the free Windows 10 upgrade offer on my computer using Windows 7. The Windows 10 upgrade did not work and when the computer tried to revert to my old Windows 7, the computer crashed and was unable to recovery using the the start-up repair procedure
    or the system restore feature. After several hours of multiple crashes, I finally used the mirror image recovery procedure to recover the old operating system ( some files were lost). At one point during the 2 hours trying to recover the computer, I thought
    the computer would have to be replaced. Did anyone else have this failure of the Windows 10 upgrade?

DennisAustin, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Have Operating System Windows 10 unable to detect D - Link Modem when Installed.

Hi Shekhar,

Thank you posting in Community.

We are glad to provide the assistance required to help resolve your issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

1. What do you mean when you state unable to detect?

2. Has your ISP tried to install the Wi-Fi connection for you?

I would like to inform that you will require the assistance of your ISP to install your Wi-Fi connection. This is because you need certain information for the connection to establish which cannot be created with only the CD.

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Try booting Windows 7 to Safe Mode (F8) then see if you can format D: from there. Do a quick format, full format is not needed.

Ztruker, Jul 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 crashed during Upgrade. Unable to detect operating system. - Similar Threads - crashed during Upgrade

2. OPERATING SYSTEM UPGRADE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OPERATING SYSTEM UPGRADE: I have a computer using windows 8.1. Microsoft has informed me that support for 8.1 has ended. I don't use on-line banking, don't stream music or video, or google unknown sites. I use outlook 2013 for e-mails. I have had no issues with security. Do I have to upgrade to...
  3. OPERATING SYSTEM UPGRADE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OPERATING SYSTEM UPGRADE: I have a computer using windows 8.1. Microsoft has informed me that support for 8.1 has ended. I don't use on-line banking, don't stream music or video, or google unknown sites. I use outlook 2013 for e-mails. I have had no issues with security. Do I have to upgrade to...
  4. Upgrade of operating system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade of operating system: Dear Team,I bought a laptop with windows 10 home edition default licensed. It has now got upgraded to windows 11 insider preview in july 2021. I am now unable to roll back. Please clarify me how to download and upgrade to windows 10 pro license version from Microsoft site...
  5. Upgrade of operating system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade of operating system: Dear Team,I bought a laptop with windows 10 home edition default licensed. It has now got upgraded to windows 11 insider preview in july 2021. I am now unable to roll back. Please clarify me how to download and upgrade to windows 10 pro license version from Microsoft site...
  6. Upgrade of operating system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Operating System was crashed by Google

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Operating System was crashed by Google: I was on a google meet on Sunday, December 13th. I cannot get to the Windows home screen. I have tried going the through the prompts and get no where. How can I reload Windows 10?...
  8. Windows 10 upgrade issues with error during boot operation.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 upgrade issues with error during boot operation.: I have Windows 7 ultimate installed with a dual boot option with Centos 7 in my desktop. I am trying to upgrade to Windows 10 now. I tried to installed more than 2 times and everytime getting the same error 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 The installation failed in the Safe_OS...
  9. "Windows S" identifiers for operating system detection

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    "Windows S" identifiers for operating system detection: We have a very customer who runs our assessment agents for windows systems. However, the agent runs privileged OS commands (like wmic) and the app is not available on the Windows Store. Typically we can identify operating systems by sniffing the DHCP fingerprints of the...
  10. Windows 10 "No Operating Systems Detected" After Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 "No Operating Systems Detected" After Upgrade: So, actually my computer is custom-built. (Side-Note, I have no installation disk) I was upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Home Premium. As soon as Windows 10 came up I decided to do a fresh install because of previous drivers may not be compatible with windows 10. I...