Windows 10: Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer

Discus and support Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i think it happens when i stress out my pc too much, but the thing is, it seems that even opening explorer (mycomputer, other folders) triggers it, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aaaaaaaaapaj, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer

i think it happens when i stress out my pc too much, but the thing is, it seems that even opening explorer (mycomputer, other folders) triggers it, and i dont think that should happen.

when it does, it keeps rebooting, sometimes for 20 minutes. it doesnt get to the windows screen, just a beep and whirring from my pc, then turns off, then beeps that its turning on again, then turns off and so on and so forth. If I'm lucky it'll go to the asus screen before turning back off, otherwise it just turns the monitor on and then the entire system turns off. itll eventually go to the blue screen asking me to do a troubleshoot or whatever and through that i tried resetting windows but it says there was an error.

what can i do? i tried taking out the power supply and cleaning the fan. also, please bear with me, im a complete n00b when it comes to these things. if you need any info about what my pc is (all i know is its old, i only really use it for downloading torrents and watching youtube). when watching shows/browsing/surfing, it's fine. I go like 2-4 hours, but when I try to open a folder it reboots and loops. please let me know what info you need and how I can give it and ill do my best to provide. Could this be a virus?

:)

aaaaaaaaapaj, Jan 2, 2017
  2. StuMac52 Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer Crashing and Restarting On All 4 Of My Computers

I began using Explorer++ because File Explorer is near unusable. Unfortunately, it wasn't perfect either because it still caused explorer to crash when Explorer++ would use File Explorer or shell functions. When I did a re-install of Windows 10, I did not
    install Explorer++ until File Explorer started failing. For test purposes, I've delete Explorer++ it and cleaned up the registry (there's no install/uninstall app).

When I open "Recent Items" in %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows, explorer crashes.

In Safe Mode, opening Recent Items does not cause explorer to crash however, it still crashes when creation a folder and still shows double libraries etc.

StuMac52, Jan 2, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Explorer constantly crashing when viewing image files

So now it's just Windows 10 Explorer crashing anytime I try to open it.

I've powered down any Network attached storage.

Now when I click the folder icon, Explorer opens and instantly crashes.

I'm running Trend Micro so unlikely to have any nasties.

???

SimonMallender, Jan 2, 2017
  4. Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer

Welcome to the TenForums.

It could be anything, my first blush would be failing hard drive. Lets start by eliminating hardware. Please reseat your memory, ensuring you don't have any static charge present. As well reseat cables to your drives.

Do you have a "Recovery Drive" or other bootable Win 10 media. This would keep you from booting from potentially failing Hard Drive. Boot with your media ensuring you do not install or upgrade windows. If option presents you want repair or Trouble shooting then command prompt.

type chkdsk c: /r

This could take a while depending on what it finds.

If you don't have media, which you can resolve at a future date, open command prompt and type same command. You will have to reboot.

If chkdsk finds nothing and you have access to another PC download and create a Memtest86 diagnostic tool. Go to memtest86.com. Process to create is documented on Technical Info tab on site. Run a test, at least 30 minutes. You should have no errors.

This won't determine if this is power supply issue but provides two simple basic tests. Post back results. Include error messages and some detail.

Hopefully it passes both these test.

Caledon Ken, Jan 2, 2017
  5. Just ran chkdsk from repair mode and it said 0kb in bad sectors. Will try memtest. Also what do you mean by reseat cables? Remove and plug back in? And how do I reseat memory?

aaaaaaaaapaj, Jan 2, 2017
  6. Yes to cable question. Unplug and reconnect.

On memory, please ensure you have no static. You cannot shock memory, it will die. Not sure if you want to reseat if you've never done. It is easy but you must fully reseat or it will cook.

Lets leave this until you run memtest. If it shows error we can try.

Caledon Ken, Jan 3, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Just a thought...

From the OP's post:

when watching shows/browsing/surfing, it's fine. I go like 2-4 hours, but when I try to open a folder it reboots and loops.

A lot of YouTube watching vids and such may be causing a heat issue, especially the graphics. Another member here a while back had a weird problem where all was fine until he did a lot of YouTube....then heat crept in. He finally ended up re-doing the heat sinks, paste and all, to solve the issue. Going along ok for several hours and then, wham! could be a heat issue. Just a guess. One more thing to consider.

TC

f14tomcat, Jan 3, 2017
  8. Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer

Tried downloading the rar version and clicked on the exe file but nothing happened.

aaaaaaaaapaj, Jan 3, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    rar version of what? Please show the link to what you downloaded. Not the name, the actual link. Thanks.

f14tomcat, Jan 3, 2017
  10. aaaaaaaaapaj, Jan 3, 2017
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    You downloaded a Zipped file, not a RAR. It's ok. You need to unblock the file (right click, properties, unblock). Then extract the contents of the zip archive to a folder. You will see this:

Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer [​IMG]

You will need an empty USB flash drive (thumb drive). The application in GREEN will prompt you thru creating the bootable flash drive you will use to do the mem test. It will use the data in the ISO in RED.

When the flash drive is created, boot from it and follow prompts to run the memory test.

Here is what the USB creation screen looks like:

Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer [​IMG]

TC

Note: If you intended to create a CD/DVD to boot from, go back and get the version for that:

http://www.memtest86.com/downloads/memtest86-iso.zip

f14tomcat, Jan 3, 2017
  12. Okay, I'll try that when my pc is back up, but im 99% sure that when I extract the contents to a folder and try to open it, my pc will restart.

I'll give it a shot though

13. f14tomcat Win User

Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer

Silly question... What are you using to post here?

f14tomcat, Jan 3, 2017
  14. iPhone for now. I can use the pc to use chrome and stuff but when I click explorer it turns off almost immediately (within 3-5 seconds) and has problems starting back up again. Sometimes it'll go past the asus motherboard visual before it turns off, sometimes it turns off right after turning on. The furthest it goes (other than actually cooperating and getting to windows) is the diagnosing your pc part (blue screen).

15. f14tomcat Win User
    Anybody you can "buddy" with to get test tools done? Otherwise, sounds like you're in a catch-22.

f14tomcat, Jan 3, 2017
Thema:

Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer

1. Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer - Similar Threads - crashes opening explorer

2. Explorer crashes when opened or when right click.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer crashes when opened or when right click.: Whenever I open Explorer from "win+e", the start menu or the command prompt shows a window and then crashes. I checked the event viewer and it shows these errors in the "Application" logs:Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.26052.1000, time stamp:...
  3. Explorer crashes when opened or when right click.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer crashes when opened or when right click.: Whenever I open Explorer from "win+e", the start menu or the command prompt shows a window and then crashes. I checked the event viewer and it shows these errors in the "Application" logs:Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.26052.1000, time stamp:...
  4. Windows Explorer Crash constantly when attempting to open explorer window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Crash constantly when attempting to open explorer window: When clicking the explorer icon, explorer.exe crashes and restarts.Attempted the context menu regedits, sfc scannow, dism online commands all to no avail.Also tested deleting the automatic destinations using powershell commands, it ran and deleted the folder but issue...
  5. Windows Explorer Crash constantly when attempting to open explorer window

Windows Explorer Crash constantly when attempting to open explorer window: When clicking the explorer icon, explorer.exe crashes and restarts.Attempted the context menu regedits, sfc scannow, dism online commands all to no avail.Also tested deleting the automatic destinations using powershell commands, it ran and deleted the folder but issue...
  6. Windows Explorer crashes when opening pics or vidsH

Windows Explorer crashes when opening pics or vidsH: Hi,I am experiencing a massive issue with my laptop. Every single time I try to open or select/drag or press right-click on a picture or video file it crashes directly. All the pictures or videos don't show anymore the thumbnail and some of them have even a complete blank...
  7. Explorer crashing when opening images

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer crashing when opening images: Sometimes when I try opening an image it completely freezes, opens up empty, struggles to be closed etc... and ends up crashing the entire explorer (the taskbar resets etc.) and then it's all good to go. I had this problem on my previous computer too and just recently got a...
  8. windows explorer crash when opening files windows.storage.dll

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows explorer crash when opening files windows.storage.dll: When some users opens the explorer and browse some folders it starts opening lots of new windows. Moreover if we open files like Word documents or pdf files than the explorer crashes and restarts. It seems to be a user related problem. If another user profiles uses the...
  9. Windows Explorer Crashing when opening Documents and Downloads

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer Crashing when opening Documents and Downloads: My Windows Explorer is crashing out without an error popup whenever it opens the Download folder. For Documents it will stay open for a few seconds and work fine, then crash without a popup. All other files work fine so far, just these two. It also causes issues with...
  10. Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer: So whenever I click File Explorer on the taskbar or in the start menu, Windows Explorer crashes and I need to go into task manager and restart it. But if I click a folder on my desktop it doesn't crash? 56915