Windows 10: Windows 10 Crashing randomly on new AMD build... possible driver issue?

Discus and support Windows 10 Crashing randomly on new AMD build... possible driver issue? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have built a new desktop PC recently and randomly the PC is stuttering to a frozen state everything is non-responsive except the mouse moves... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jonny Pye, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Jonny Pye Win User

Windows 10 Crashing randomly on new AMD build... possible driver issue?

I have built a new desktop PC recently and randomly the PC is stuttering to a frozen state everything is non-responsive except the mouse moves perfectly around the screen - this typically happens once per day - and sometimes crashing fully and rebooting on its own.

I have performed a memory diagnostics test and no issues were reported.

I have also run multiple performance tests on the CPU, GPU, M.2 drives and memory - all of which do not crash under heavy loads.

Following the windows "Driver Verifier" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/driver-verifier-tracking-down-a-mis-behaving/f5cb4faf-556b-4b6d-95b3-c48669e4c983 I have followed this guide and my pc crashed multiple times underly heavy drive loads on boot it failed to boot on all attempts.

From this page, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/bsod-finding-and-fixing-them/1939df35-283f-4830-a4dd-e95ee5d8669d, I then booted into safe mode and saved the minidump files, MSinfo32 and system info here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am_VdsE-ARamkHumYRiugkdP-s4Y?e=Fehcdr

Any help would be incredibly appreciated!!! For me, this is way too difficult to diagnose.

Cheers

:)

Jonny Pye, Oct 2, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

SSD samsung evo and amd drivers

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The issue could be because of the AMD drivers installed on the computer.

Since the Samsung SSD is working fine with the Microsoft AHCI driver, I suggest you to update the AMD driver and check if that helps. To update the AMD drivers follow the steps from the article

Update drivers in Windows 10

If updating the drivers didn’t help, I suggest you to roll back the driver to previous build and check if that helps. To roll back the driver to previous build follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press and hold the Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Device manager.
    3. In Device manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
    4. Right click on AMD SATA Controller and select
      Properties.
    5. Navigate to the Driver tab and click on Roll Back Driver.
    6. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 2, 2020
  3. AMD Display Driver Install Causing Crash on Windows 10

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
      • AMD R9 380x
    • Desktop or Laptop System
      • Desktop, custom
    • Operating System
      • Windows 10 64bit
    • Driver version installed
      • Trying to install Crimson Edition 16.3.2
    • Display Devices
      • Lenovo, HDMI
    • Motherboard
      • ASUS H110M-A
    • CPU/APU
      • Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz
    • Power Supply Unit Make, Model & Wattage
      • EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze
    • RAM
      • 8GB
    Describe your issue:

• Brand new system ran fine for a month. Two days ago screen randomly started to go green. Solid green not a tint. It was also flickering and having weird pixelated issues. Took out GPU and put it back in to check connection. Checked all power supply
      connections. Everything good. Turned PC on and got vertical white lines across the screen and couldn't make it to boot before going black. Plugged HDMI into onboard display and was able to boot but would crash to BSOD withing seconds and give video.tdr failure
      (atikmpag.sys). I safe mode booted and used ddu to uninstall display driver and boot from Windows Basic Display Adapter. At this point my build became stable and now I use the computer, without the graphics card. I downloaded latest display drivers from support.amd.com
      but when I attempt to install the system crashes to BSOD with same video.tdr failure. Upon looking at the display driver in the device manager (in safe mode again) I get a Code 52.
    • I have attempted to install the Crimson 16.3.2 edition for Windows 10 and 8.1 64bit edition, both with same results.
    • I attempted to alter the atikmpag.sys file through tutorials I found online to no result.
    • I attempted to block Windows Update from downloading the latest drivers and installing them with no result.
    • I attempted a fresh install but as soon as updates were downloaded and installed it crashed again.
    • I'm at a loss as to what to do now. Please help.

Mithrawn05, Oct 2, 2020
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Windows 10 crashes after installing AMD Graphics Driver 8670 series.

Hi microvice,

An outdated or incompatible driver is one of the possible reasons why your Windows 10 computer crashes after installing the driver. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the Windows key, type winver, and press the Enter key.
    • What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Do you have a third-party security software installed?
    • Did you check if the graphics driver is compatible with Windows 10?
    • Are you receiving any error messages after installing the driver? If yes, can you provide us the exact error code that flashed out?

Meanwhile, I would suggest that you try to download and install the latest graphics driver from the manufacturer's website of your device.

Update us with the results so we can further assist you.

Eric Ber, Oct 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Crashing randomly on new AMD build... possible driver issue? - Similar Threads - Crashing randomly AMD

2. BOSD on random occasions (Possibly Driver Issue?)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BOSD on random occasions (Possibly Driver Issue?): Hi guys. My dad bought a computer with high specs that i am very thankful for. The first week we have used it, it displayed a blue screen a couple times despite it being brand new with only a chrome browser and ms office installed. These BOSD's happen before i installed any...
  3. Windows crashes , possible display driver issue?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows crashes , possible display driver issue?: My laptop has the following specs - Ryzen5 3550h, RX560x, 8gb ram. [IMG][IMG] I get these black outlines around my display after i start my computer after shutting it down or after waking it up from sleep, and it goes away after charging for a while. Also I get a bsod...
  4. New pc build random crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New pc build random crashes: Hey there, hoping to get some quick help with a new pc build for my son. For some reason it has random crashes/hangs and reboots from blue screen to bios. Which then cannot see the nvme drive until I physically hold case power button to shut down, then let it sit for a couple...
  5. New pc build random crashes

in Windows 10 Support
    New pc build random crashes: Hey there, hoping to get some quick help with a new pc build for my son. For some reason it has random crashes/hangs and reboots from blue screen to bios. Which then cannot see the nvme drive until I physically hold case power button to shut down, then let it sit for a couple...
  6. New Windows 10 build - Random crashes/reboots

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    New Windows 10 build - Random crashes/reboots: Hello, I have just built myself a new Z370 system and very happy with the system itself but now I find (without knowing) that the Z370 system is windows 10 only and this has come as a shock. I am getting random reboots and it is basically driving me crazy. I game in vr...
  7. Windows 10 keeps randomly crashing ( AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Build)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 keeps randomly crashing ( AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Build): Hello, First of all I would like to apologise for my bad english writing skills. English is not my primary language. At the moment I'm getting really frustrated with my PC. I have a new AMD ryzen 5 build with a clean windows 10 install. But unfortunately I'm keeping...
  8. random crash on brand new build

random crash on brand new build: just as the title says this is a brand new build specs are as follows motherboard asus x99 deluxe ii cpu intel core i7 6800k cpu cooler hyper 212 gpu asus strix gtx 1070 8gb crucial ballistix 32gb ddr4 2400 1tb ssd (os) brought over from old system 1tb wd red...
  9. Crash and Reboot randomly. Possible NIC issue

Crash and Reboot randomly. Possible NIC issue: Figured I would post here to get some advice. I have a gaming PC that I built about 18 months ago that runs like a tank except for this occasional lockup I get. It locks up entirely and then reboots shortly after. It's only been doing this for the past few weeks and I get no...
  10. AMD working on drivers for Windows 10 preview builds

in Windows 10 News
    AMD working on drivers for Windows 10 preview builds: AMD has confirmed that it is working on graphics drivers for Windows 10 preview builds, after various reports from users facing issues emerged online. According to AMD's Windows 10 information page, the existing driver packages for the company's products are compatible...