Windows 10: Windows 10 crashing when attempting to install update

Discus and support Windows 10 crashing when attempting to install update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, everyone! I am trying to install updates through Windows 10's auto update feature. However, every time my laptop tried to install Cumulative... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by HoriaMarchean, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Windows 10 crashing when attempting to install update

Hello, everyone!

I am trying to install updates through Windows 10's auto update feature. However, every time my laptop tried to install Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based systems KB4592438, it crashed, most frequently with a blue screen, once with a black screen. That laptop has just been returned to me from service today, the 17th of December 2020. It is an ASUS TUF A15 FA506IU, AMD Ryzen 9 4900H, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB. The people at ASUS said they found no fault with it, yet it keeps crashing on me at home.

Later edit: it also crashed after pausing updates, while using Steam to download Total War: Warhammer.

Does anyone have any insights pertaining to this? The laptop was new on purchase and worked flawlessly for a couple of weeks before a series of bluescreen errors irql_not_less_or_equal, kmode_exception_not_handled, driver_overran_stack_buffer, system_service_exception, kernel_security_check failure forced me to send it back for servicing.

:)

HoriaMarchean, Dec 17, 2020

2. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Dec 17, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 17, 2020
  4. Windows 10 crashing when attempting to install update

Windows 10 and GFE forcing 353.62 install

perfect a confirmation that i need to keep W7 Pro on my main rig.

tho that issue is weird... (oh well ... "beta" ... feelings)

anyway thanks @RCoon

GreiverBlade, Dec 17, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 crashing when attempting to install update

1. Windows 10 crashing when attempting to install update - Similar Threads - crashing attempting install

2. "Install error - 0x80070bc9" when attempting to install the latest update KB5027223

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Install error - 0x80070bc9" when attempting to install the latest update KB5027223: I am at my wits end on this issue although I am thankful at least that the issue does not seem to affect the regular use of the device - so it's a minor problem in the grand scheme of things. The title is a good summary of the issue, seen here:For whatever reason, ever since...
  3. Windows Update Error 0x800F0831 when attempting to install KB5013942

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Error 0x800F0831 when attempting to install KB5013942: I have attempted to install KB013942 for Windows 10 Pro Version 21H2 for x64-lbased systems three times and have received error 0x800F0831 each time. The message says to retry, which is what I did. It also said to contact support. Two other updates installed the same day were...
  4. Error 0x800f0922 when attempting to install update KB5003173

Error 0x800f0922 when attempting to install update KB5003173: I've spent the past two hours attempting to resolve the above error. Whenever I attempt to install the latest update, I receive the error message "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing Changes. Don't turn off your computer." I have tried all the fixes listed in these...
  5. Error Message When Attempting to Update or Install Anything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Error Message When Attempting to Update or Install Anything: As the title implies, I am unable to download or update anything via the Microsoft store. I tried resetting the app using settings and it did absolutely nothing. This is the error code I get for both; Code: 0x80004005 submitted by /u/thick_stick- [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows 10 crashing when attempting to install update

Windows 10 crashing when attempting to install update: Hello, everyone! I am trying to install updates through Windows 10's auto update feature. However, every time my laptop tried to install Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based systems (KB4592438), it crashed, most frequently with a blue screen, once with...
  7. System Crash / Reboot when attempting to install Windows 10

System Crash / Reboot when attempting to install Windows 10: I'm really confused with this. Got an old system today, Ryzen 1400, 16GB DDR4 2400, R580 4GB, A320 Mobo. When I try and boot from a win10 usb built using the official creation tool, it flashes up the windows logo for a second, then the system just restarts. I've tried...
  8. Windows crashes when attempting to load web pages

in Browsers and Email
    Windows crashes when attempting to load web pages: Up until a short time ago, I was able to use MS Edge normally, Then, on occasion, it would crash Windows when I tried to access a web page, even though the browser had launched with no messages or warnings. The frequency of the crashes increased until I got fed up and...
  9. BSOF when attempting to install Windows 10 update 1909

BSOF when attempting to install Windows 10 update 1909: So for a while I've been trying to update windows 10 to the version 1909, but at the end it always fails and reverts the update. I'm not sure why it does this or what causes it. When looking at the update history I see that it failed to update with the error 0xc1900101. I...
  10. Windows 10 crashing/freezing after update attempt.

Windows 10 crashing/freezing after update attempt.: Hi, I have a dell inspiron laptop running windows 10. It's around 5 yrs old and has been running perfectly. About two weeks ago it tried to downloading a windows update. Something must've gone wrong because I got a message saying something along the lines of could not install...