Windows 10: Windows 10 "Create Shortcut" result not automatically selected

Discus and support Windows 10 "Create Shortcut" result not automatically selected in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In Windows 7, when you right-click a file and select "Create Shortcut", the newly created shortcut is immediately selected because it assumes you will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GeoffreyUT, May 2, 2020.

1. Windows 10 "Create Shortcut" result not automatically selected

In Windows 7, when you right-click a file and select "Create Shortcut", the newly created shortcut is immediately selected because it assumes you will cut it to some other location. Otherwise, why would you need a shortcut in the same location as the file you are linking to? In Windows 10, your selection remains on the destination file rather than the shortcut. Then you have to scroll down through the folder to find the new shortcut to cut it. This is a pain and is much less convenient. Is there a setting somewhere for having it back to the way Windows 7 did it?

:)

GeoffreyUT, May 2, 2020
  2. terrace Win User

Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.Windows 10 "Create Shortcut" result not automatically selected :)

terrace, May 2, 2020
  3. Frick Win User
    Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

Keyboard shortcuts to open programs:

Create a shortcut on the desktop to whatever program you want. Right click -> Properties and fill in the field there. Sadly the shortcut needs to remain on the desktop, but you can hide it.

Fun fact: If you had keyboard shortcuts for programs pinned to your Windows 7 start menu, those shortcuts still work when you update to Windows 10.

Frick, May 2, 2020
  4. Windows 10 "Create Shortcut" result not automatically selected

Unable to create shortcuts in Windows 10

Hi Terry,

Provide us with additional information to assist you further:

• Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Does this issue confined to create a shortcut for any specific application?

As a workaround, I suggest you to try creating shortcuts in Safe mode with networking and check if it helps.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Follow the below steps to place the computer in normal mode.

• Press Windows + R keys to open
      Run command.

• Type msconfig
      and press Enter.

• In the System Configuration
      window, click on General tab.

• Select Start-up selection
      as Normal startup, click on Apply and
      Ok

• Follow onscreen instructions.

Reply to the post with the required information and brief description about this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, May 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 "Create Shortcut" result not automatically selected

1. Windows 10 "Create Shortcut" result not automatically selected - Similar Threads - Create Shortcut result

2. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore: Usually I pressed the Win key to open up the windows start menu and I typed any letters there to start searching for my apps and files.For example I usually type 'Win' then 'F' and 'Enter' to open File Explorer.The problem is that now the search box doesn't automatically...
  3. Stop windows from creating Network Shortcuts automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop windows from creating Network Shortcuts automatically: I'm not really sure why but windows is creating a shortcut on AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Network Shortcuts named Documents with the same icon as the User/Documents folder and of course it's appearing on on the This computeron top of the C drive section on the left side...
  4. Stop windows from creating Network Shortcuts automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop windows from creating Network Shortcuts automatically: I'm not really sure why but windows is creating a shortcut on AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Network Shortcuts named Documents with the same icon as the User/Documents folder and of course it's appearing on on the This computeron top of the C drive section on the left side...
  5. Prevent Windows from automatically creating desktop shortcut?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent Windows from automatically creating desktop shortcut?: Hi there,Is it possible to prevent desktop shortcuts from automatically being created when installing a new app? Old Windows versions provided that option during installation but I haven't seen it so far for anything I've installed. Preferably I would like to be able to set...
  6. Prevent Windows from automatically creating desktop shortcut?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent Windows from automatically creating desktop shortcut?: Hi there,Is it possible to prevent desktop shortcuts from automatically being created when installing a new app? Old Windows versions provided that option during installation but I haven't seen it so far for anything I've installed. Preferably I would like to be able to set...
  7. Automatically select shortcut when "Create Shortcut" is used in Windows 10

Automatically select shortcut when "Create Shortcut" is used in Windows 10: In Windows 7, when you right-click a file and select "Create Shortcut", the newly created shortcut is immediately selected because it assumes you will cut it to some other location. Otherwise, why would you need a shortcut in the same location as the file you are linking to?...
  8. Automatically Create Shortcuts - Search Recursively

Automatically Create Shortcuts - Search Recursively: Hi All, Folder structure: A\Stuff A\Temp B\Stuff B\Temp C\Stuff C\Temp D\Stuff D\Temp F\ What I want to do is script something that creates a shortcut for any files located in *\Stuff and create a shortcut that gets placed into F\ Thanks in advance...
  9. CREATING SHORTCUTS IN WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    CREATING SHORTCUTS IN WINDOWS 10: WITH WINDOWS 8 AND PRIOR VERSIONS I HAVE ALWAYS ENJOYED CREATING A DESKTOP SHORT CUT FOR EASY ACCESS. I AM SEEKING ADVICE ON HOW TO CREATE THESE IN WINDOWS 10. I AM ABLE TO DO THIS WITH SOME WEBSITES BUT NOT ALL. QUITE OFTEN I END UP WITH THE CHOICE OF SAVING AS A...
  10. create shortcuts in windows 10

create shortcuts in windows 10: I have a new harddrive and before could create shortcuts to save icons on desktop but this new hard drive will not let me do it and had windows 10 before. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-shortcuts-in-windows-10/9fc8aeae-3ece-406b-adcf-5ecbd3991e61"