Windows 10: Windows 10 credential manager wrong username for windows identity

Discus and support Windows 10 credential manager wrong username for windows identity in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I wanted to use fingerprint to see my chrome passwords instead of typing in my windows account and password every time. So when I did that I see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Sergey Putenikhin, May 11, 2020.

1. Windows 10 credential manager wrong username for windows identity

Hi, I wanted to use fingerprint to see my chrome passwords instead of typing in my windows account and password every time. So when I did that I see that fingerprint is recognized, I briefly see the "hello, User" sign, then there's some pause and then it says "incorrect username/password". After reading a ton of other related topics I think the reason is that my windows account username/password differs from the credential saved in my credential managers under the "Windows Identity" record. My windows account is like *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and there's a password. At the same time I'm using my corporate exchange account which I access with a different user name that it a domain-like one, i.e. domain\username. So, for some reason the username/pass stored in the credentials manager as "Windows identity" is not my windows account user/password but this domain\username. Probably this is why when I try authenticate in Chrome for instance or logging in Microsoft.com using the fingerprint - it will say that the login/pass is incorrect.

So, why is this user/pass from Exchange account even saved as Windows identity? I believe it happens when you log in to Exchange account - then identity is replaced. And I can't manually change the windows credential created as Windows identity with domain\username stated at the field "Internet or network address". Editing it and changing to *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and providing password gives an error:

"This information cannot be saved. Make sure the information is correct and that all required fields are completed" Error code: 0x80070057 Error message: The parameter is incorrect.

How can I associate my fingerprint with a correct Windows identity?

:)

Sergey Putenikhin, May 11, 2020

2. Windows 10: Wrong username in credentials management

username spelled wrong on one site in my credentials management

davidmartin587777, May 11, 2020
  3. Windows 10: Wrong username in credentials management

Hello David,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and Thank you for posting your query.

Are you facing this issue in the Web credentials or Windows credentials of the control panel?

If you are facing this issue in Windows credentials, you may follow the below steps to edit Windows credential and check if it helps.

1. In the search option of the taskbar type Windows credentials and press enter.

2. Select the credential where you have entered the wrong username and click on edit.

3. Click on save.

However if you are facing issue with Web credentials, while you can add, backup, restore Windows Credentials, there is no way to add or edit Web Credentials. Microsoft recently enumerated the changes it incorporated in Password Policy and Autocomplete
    Forms in Internet Explorer 11, to reduce the confusion in users about their passwords being recalled on one site but not another.

Reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...orms-remember-passwords-autocomplete#ie=ie-11

Hope the information helps, Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, May 11, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 credential manager wrong username for windows identity

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 11, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 credential manager wrong username for windows identity

1. Windows 10 credential manager wrong username for windows identity - Similar Threads - credential manager wrong

2. Windows Hello Pin wrong username

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello Pin wrong username: Hi, We are trying to login on a different PC using my microsoft account. I logged in using my email and password, but then it did ask for my windows hello pin to verify my identity. I have no clue what this pin is, if I even have set it up. So, I clicked forgot my pin and...
  3. Windows Hello Pin wrong username

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello Pin wrong username: Hi, We are trying to login on a different PC using my microsoft account. I logged in using my email and password, but then it did ask for my windows hello pin to verify my identity. I have no clue what this pin is, if I even have set it up. So, I clicked forgot my pin and...
  4. Windows Hello Pin wrong username

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. View Windows Credentials Password in Credential Manager?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    View Windows Credentials Password in Credential Manager?: Hello,I would like to view the password I have highlighted in the included screenshot link.There aren't any options to view it, and attempts to edit the password have seemingly failed as the password does not update. I have also tried restarting the PC to no avail.I can...
  6. View Windows Credentials Password in Credential Manager?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    View Windows Credentials Password in Credential Manager?: Hello,I would like to view the password I have highlighted in the included screenshot link.There aren't any options to view it, and attempts to edit the password have seemingly failed as the password does not update. I have also tried restarting the PC to no avail.I can...
  7. Add or Remove Usernames and Passwords from Credential Manager in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Add or Remove Usernames and Passwords from Credential Manager in Windows 10: The Credential Manager in Windows 10 is used for storing sign-in information for websites, apps, and network services. his guide will walk you through the necessary steps required to add or remove Usernames and Passwords from the Credentials Manager. Add or remove Usernames...
  8. Windows Credentials no longer in Credential Manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Credentials no longer in Credential Manager: Hi, I can no longer login to any Office 365 software, access Onedrive, or even access various sites that require live Id login. I use onedrive with my business and it is making things very difficult to process data. I did reset my password and have access via my mobile...
  9. Windows 10 credential manager wrong username for windows identity

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 credential manager wrong username for windows identity: Hi, I wanted to use fingerprint to see my chrome passwords instead of typing in my windows account and password every time. So when I did that I see that fingerprint is recognized, I briefly see the "hello, User" sign, then there's some pause and then it says "incorrect...
  10. How to change the username credentials in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to change the username credentials in Windows 10: Hello, I recently was set up with a new laptop running Windows 10. The person who set it up for me put in a placeholder username for the admin account. I just set up a Standard account, which I intend to use for most things. I want to change the admin account to something I...