Windows 10: windows 10 ctrl-w not following mouse

Discus and support windows 10 ctrl-w not following mouse in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I type ctrl-w to close a tab or window, I expect it to act on the tab or window currently under the mouse cursor. It worked that way on Windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by bhami, Mar 29, 2020.

1. bhami Win User

windows 10 ctrl-w not following mouse

When I type ctrl-w to close a tab or window, I expect it to act on the tab or window currently under the mouse cursor. It worked that way on Windows 7 and before. However, on my new Windows 10 system, the ctrl-w instead acts on the window or tab containing the current selection. How do I get this behavior fixed? I should not have to remember to click the mouse prior to typing ctrl-w.

:)

bhami, Mar 29, 2020

2. Tochpad Not Working w/ Microsoft Mouse - Windows 10

Hi Christopher,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I’m sorry to know that Touchpad is not working in
    Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I will be happy to assist you with this.

Please follow the steps provided in the below link and check if that helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...uchpad-keyboard-problems-in-windows#v1h=tab01

If still the issue persists, then I would suggest follow the below methods:

Method 1:
    Run “Hardware and Devices” troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue.

Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Press “Windows key + W”.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
    • Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.
    • Select “Hardware and Devices” under Devices
      option.
    • Follow the On Screen instructions.
    Method 2:
    Un-install and re-install mouse pad drivers from the manufacturer’s website and see if that helps:

Step 1:
    Un-install the drivers:

Follow these steps:

• Press “Windows Key + W” from the keyboard.
    • Type “device Manager” without quotes in the search box and hit enter.
    • Right click on the mousepad drivers and select “Uninstall”.
    • Restart the computer once it is uninstalled.
    Step 2: Download the latest mousepad drivers for “Windows 10” from manufacturer’s website and check if that helps.

Please feel free to contact us, if you need any further help we would be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Vijaya Kumari 1, Mar 29, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 29, 2020
  4. windows 10 ctrl-w not following mouse

Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

windows 10 ctrl-w not following mouse

1. windows 10 ctrl-w not following mouse - Similar Threads - ctrl following mouse

2. Can't use CTRL+A or CTRL+W

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't use CTRL+A or CTRL+W: My other keyboard shortcuts are working. But those two aren't working anywhere. I've tried a number of trouble shooting solutions and nothing has worked. Any ideas how to fix it?...
  3. Can't use CTRL+A or CTRL+W

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't use CTRL+A or CTRL+W: My other keyboard shortcuts are working. But those two aren't working anywhere. I've tried a number of trouble shooting solutions and nothing has worked. Any ideas how to fix it?...
  4. Can't use CTRL+A or CTRL+W

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Ctrl + W doesn't work

Ctrl + W doesn't work: I've had an issue for a while where using ctrl+w won't close a tab.My problem began with that being the shortcut to the GameBar for some reason, and I couldn't change it, but I fixed it and now it does nothing.This goes for Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, and any other...
  6. Ctrl W not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ctrl W not working: I recently updated my computer to Windows 11, and I was having an issue with the GameBar, where whenever I used the shortcut ctrl w, the GameBar popped up. I found a way to disable this by removing the GameBar, but now my ctrl w shortcut won't work. Any help would be much...
  7. Ctrl W not working

Ctrl W not working: I recently updated my computer to Windows 11, and I was having an issue with the GameBar, where whenever I used the shortcut ctrl w, the GameBar popped up. I found a way to disable this by removing the GameBar, but now my ctrl w shortcut won't work. Any help would be much...
  8. ctrl + w problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    ctrl + w problem: Hello, i have a problem. I was playing some PC game CS:GO and i got rage and i punched my keyboard. After few minutes i realised i cant do duck walk in this game with ctrl + w. When I am holding ctrl + w, a repetitive sound is heard. I think i switched my settings on my...
  9. Missing Ctrl +W Shortcut

Missing Ctrl +W Shortcut: Hello,I got update of Microsoft Photos recently to 2021.21060.9012.0 and shortcut Ctrl +W is not working. It worked earlier, could you fix it?Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-ctrl-w-shortcut/dd5b1349-29cf-4da4-9ca7-4c338aaff489
  10. Disable ctrl-shift-W

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable ctrl-shift-W: Is there any way I can delete the ctrl-shift-W shortcut? I'm typing a large document on google drive and I use ctrl-shift-E to centre text quite often. However, the E and W key are right next to each other, so I end up closing the window usually several times a day. It's...