Windows 10: Windows 10 Ctrl+Z / undo not working for move actions

Discus and support Windows 10 Ctrl+Z / undo not working for move actions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, ctrl+z as well as clicking on the "undo" button in the quick access toolbar in an explorer windows work for everything, except when I move files.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Marcel_MSQ, May 11, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Ctrl+Z / undo not working for move actions

Hi,

ctrl+z as well as clicking on the "undo" button in the quick access toolbar in an explorer windows work for everything, except when I move files.

It just undoes the action I did before moving, or does nothing if there was no previous action.

For example if I rename a folder, then move a file into this folder and then click undo, it will revert the name of the folder but the moved file stays in the folder.

Thank you

:)

Marcel_MSQ, May 11, 2020
  2. gbswales Win User

windows 10 undo in windows explorer

Does <Ctrl> Z (undo) work in Windows 10 - for example dragging and dropping a file to a different location accidently, I think that in Windows XP you could just undo this action with <Ctrl> Z - this is handy because dragging a file to a folder list it
    is easy to drop it in the wrong one without knowing which one it was)

However, in Windows 10, when I move a file to another folder deliberately, to replicate this situation, and press <Ctrl> Z I get a chime, but nothing happens.

In other programmes <Ctrl> Z works fine as it should to undo the last action. Other keyboard shortcuts such as <Ctrl>C <Ctrl>X and <Ctrl>V work everywhere including on the desktop just not <Ctrl>Z

gbswales, May 11, 2020
  3. _Roach Win User
    Ctrl+Z not working in any application Windows 10

Ctrl+Z (undo) doesn't work in any application. I.E., doesn't work in ms paint, notepad, etc.

I don't think it's a hardware issue because ctrl+c etc work, just ctrl+z doesn't work. Also, I was able to manually use Ctrl+Z as shortcuts in other applications. I tried making Ctrl+Z the shortcut for GeForce Experience Overlay and it worked fine.

Any suggestions on how to find which application might be hijacking ctrl+z?

Could it be a registry issue?

Did this hotkey lose priority somehow?

I tried starting in safe mode / clean boot and it didn't help.

_Roach, May 11, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Ctrl+Z / undo not working for move actions

CTRL-Z undo or disappear files.

Hello ELIASPEREZORO,

Regardiing the guide:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/...
    Ctrl + Z = Undo an action.

But you are right, this issue is old and sometimes appears, it is since Windows 8. Look here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

For the issue please use the Feedback hub to report about this.

Rgarding the file: check in the recycle bin, try to serch by name, in another scenario you can use only 3rd recovery apps to get it back, unfortunately there are no any recovere files option in Windows.

Mark St..., May 11, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Ctrl+Z / undo not working for move actions

1. Windows 10 Ctrl+Z / undo not working for move actions - Similar Threads - Ctrl+Z undo working

2. Change Ctrl+Z behavior in Windows 10 to undo character but not action

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Ctrl+Z behavior in Windows 10 to undo character but not action: Is there a way to change how Ctrl + Z works in Windows 10? I would prefer if it undo just one character per time instead of taking the whole paragraph away. I understand that some applications did override that shortcut and handle it internally but I believe that in most...
  3. Change Ctrl+Z behavior in Windows 10 to undo character but not action

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Ctrl+Z behavior in Windows 10 to undo character but not action: Is there a way to change how Ctrl + Z works in Windows 10? I would prefer if it undo just one character per time instead of taking the whole paragraph away. I understand that some applications did override that shortcut and handle it internally but I believe that in most...
  4. Change Ctrl+Z behavior in Windows 10 to undo character but not action

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. ctrl+z undo doesn't work system wide. Is there a solution to this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ctrl+z undo doesn't work system wide. Is there a solution to this?: I've been searching google with no luck, so i decided to turn to reddit to see if anyone knew how to fix this mess. submitted by /u/TobiasNH [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j925up/ctrlz_undo_doesnt_work_system_wide_is_there_a/
  6. Ctrl+z not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ctrl+z not working: My shortcut keys are not working (including undo paste and copy) please help me I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard from device manager and I still can't figure it out submitted by /u/chickencurrybangs [link] [comments]...
  7. Undo and Redo Shortcuts Ctrl Z and Ctrl Y NOT WORKING

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Undo and Redo Shortcuts Ctrl Z and Ctrl Y NOT WORKING: Hello, As the title says, I'm not sure how and when the issue started but it was noticed recently. It affects the windows system as a whole as well as all application software. Help is appreciated. Thanks...
  8. Undo and Redo Shortcuts Ctrl Z and Ctrl Y

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Undo and Redo Shortcuts Ctrl Z and Ctrl Y: Hello, As the title says, I'm not sure how and when the issue started but it was noticed recently. It affects the windows system as a whole as well as all application software. Help is appreciated. Thanks...
  9. Undo and Redo Shortcuts Ctrl Z and Ctrl Y

in Windows 10 Customization
    Undo and Redo Shortcuts Ctrl Z and Ctrl Y: Hello, As the title says, I'm not sure how and when the issue started but it was noticed recently. It affects the windows system as a whole as well as all application software. I tried the suggested solution in this link...
  10. CTRL-Z undo or disappear files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CTRL-Z undo or disappear files.: Good day all Windows 10 seem to create a big issue for users. I cut some photos from my mobile's memory card to my laptop. I put them in a new file and then resized them. Because of a wrong setting I created copies of the original photos in the same file. Pressing CTRL-Z...