Windows 10: Windows 10 Cumulative Update - Black Screen Spinning Wheel Pre-login

Discus and support Windows 10 Cumulative Update - Black Screen Spinning Wheel Pre-login in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; HI all, Looking for some help with an issue with Cumulative Updates on Windows 10 for a random selection of machines. Basically we have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hicksteruk, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Cumulative Update - Black Screen Spinning Wheel Pre-login

HI all,

Looking for some help with an issue with Cumulative Updates on Windows 10 for a random selection of machines.

Basically we have a selection of 100s out of 1000s of Windows 10 machines with different hardware models and OS versions that black screen on reboot when installing cumulative updates.

There are recent reports of black screen issues with cumulative updates which can be resolved with a ctrl+alt+del but this is not the same issue. We are unable to get to a login screen at all.

If we run a Cumulative Update on an affected machine, it runs and then asks for a reboot. Upon reboot the UEFI screen loads and then leaves us with a spinning circle of dots. The machine then sits there indefinitely with the spinning circle. The only way to work around this is to boot into safe mode, enter the bit locker key, and reboot. However, upon doing this the update rolls back and then lets you login. The problem is, if you run the update again, the same things happen. There doesn’t appear to be anything useful in the logs. The event logs are pretty empty, presumably because the point where it fails is pre logging?

The ntbtlog form a machne looks like this and appears to loop around on in that cycle:

…..

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @kdnic.inf,%kdnic.devicedesc%;Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem27.inf,%iskldtgt2%;Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem33.inf,%rtl8168.devicedesc%;Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @msports.inf,%*pnp0400.devicedesc%;Printer Port

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @msports.inf,%*pnp0501.devicedesc%;Communications Port

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @cpu.inf,%intelppm.devicedesc%;Intel Processor

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @kdnic.inf,%kdnic.devicedesc%;Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem33.inf,%rtl8168.devicedesc%;Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

……

The issues has happened now for the past 2 months cumulative updates ( we pulled last months because of the issue). We are unable to find any link between the machine affected, drivers, software, OS versions etc. Annoyingly when trying to fix the issue, machines will randomly succeed their update and then work fine. But it has no correlation so the fix that has been tried at the time. We have tried updating as many drivers as possible, but nothing shifts it.

Does anyone have any tips or insight into resolving this type of issue? Is there any more aggressive logging which can be enabled to help identify where the issue is?

Any help offered would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

PJ

:)

Hicksteruk, Jul 22, 2019

2. Windows 10 Black Spinning Circle with Cursor Pointer Before Login screen

I am in Windows 10 14393.2046 Build and during Boot I am Experiencing Black screen with a cursor and spinning circle ,having updated my Graphics Card Drivers Up to Date and Windows 10 1607 Cumulative Updates too.Since i didnt have any startup issues in
    Windows 8.1 ,10240 as well as 10586 builds and i performed all troubleshooting steps and annoyed me.I can say that it is a windows issue and you have to sort it out ,only problem is

• Windows Logo Spinning Circle
    • Black Screen spinning Circle
    • Login

sasikumar4395, Jul 22, 2019
  3. Update 1607 black screen with spinning wheel

Amazing when a small clue is given. Thank you Simkyn.C.

Anniversary Update, fixed install failure and revert to previous version, loop.

Unplugged wireless mouse receiver during update install at “black screen with spinning wheel”.

Manual update download, indicated W10 running Ver. 10586, latest version 14393.

On Dell laptop, tried to update by MS Auto Update, also by manual download update. Kept getting black screen with spinning wheel after download of update and after update process has run quite a long time.
    Tried 5 times (yes I was very, very patient), left it run like that for three days at least one try. Also tried some other fixes. Did not help. After each try and a very long wait (many hours) on the black screen, I shut down by holding down the power
    button, restarted (sometimes required a second power down and restart after it again hit the black screen with spinning wheel), then it auto reverted to previous version (may take about 30 minutes to an hour or more).

The next try was a repeat with black screen with spinning wheel. After about 18 hours I unplugged the wireless mouse receiver. The screen came alive indicating “Working on updates 75%” and continued from there after a few minutes. The update
    finished installing.

The wireless mouse was not recognized at all when the receiver was plugged back in. Left it plugged in with mouse power turned on. Touchpad did work.

Did Restart and the blue shutdown screen indicated “Restarting’’ with the spinning wheel above it.
    After about 5 minutes screen indicated something like: “Your PC ran into a problem …, We’ll collect errors … and restart.
    xx%”, then plain black screen for a minute or so, then “Please wait” with
    spinning wheel above it.

Log-on screen appeared and mouse was working. Logged on, and “appears” to work OK.

Start, Windows Administrative Tools, System Information, now indicates Microsoft Windows 10 Home, Version 10.0.14393, Build 14393.

Updates status after clicked Check for Updates, indicate updates for HP Printers, Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64 based Systems (KB3176936), and Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64 based Systems (KB3188128).
    Updates Auto-downloaded and installed. Update History indicated all three Successfully installed on 10/4/2016.

A second check for updates indicated up to date.

Restarted normally (normal for W10?) and OK.

During the initial W7 to W10 upgrade, I believe there was a recommendation to unplug USB devices.

Hope all this helps someone else.

David-Weed, Jul 22, 2019
  4. snhnic Win User

Windows 10 Cumulative Update - Black Screen Spinning Wheel Pre-login

Update 1607 black screen with spinning wheel

<p>trying to update to anniversary update! Fail seeing black screen with spinning wheel! Even with iso media creation and not remembering files apps!&nbsp;</p>

snhnic, Jul 22, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Cumulative Update - Black Screen Spinning Wheel Pre-login

1. Windows 10 Cumulative Update - Black Screen Spinning Wheel Pre-login - Similar Threads - Cumulative Update Black

2. Windows 10 updates 21H2 failed with spinning wheel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 updates 21H2 failed with spinning wheel: HiWindows 10 updates 21H2 failed with spinning wheel. I tried varies methods to resolve this. The only option is to re-install Windows 10 with 21H2 ISO. The clean windows 10 works. My main question is. What folders/files I need to restore from image backup to restores users...
  3. Windows 10 updates 21H2 failed with spinning wheel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 updates 21H2 failed with spinning wheel: HiWindows 10 updates 21H2 failed with spinning wheel. I tried varies methods to resolve this. The only option is to re-install Windows 10 with 21H2 ISO. The clean windows 10 works. My main question is. What folders/files I need to restore from image backup to restores users...
  4. Windows 10 updates 21H2 failed with spinning wheel

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows Hello for Business login - Pin screen behind spinning wheel

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello for Business login - Pin screen behind spinning wheel: We configured Windows Hello for Business hybrid key trust; devices are joined on-premises. On my test laptop everything worked fine. But with the first test user, something strange appeared which I never saw before.If the user logs in with username/password, the user gets the...
  6. Windows10 black screen with spinning wheel

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows10 black screen with spinning wheel: Last night 12/12/2020 I “Update and Shutdown” my HP laptop before I went to bed. Got up this morning and the screen is black with the spinning wagon wheel. It appears it is stuck in the update. I’m afraid to CTL-ALT-DEL while it’s updating as I know this can cause corruption...
  7. Cannot login after Windows 10 update, black screen, spinning dots

Cannot login after Windows 10 update, black screen, spinning dots: Hi Everybody, I got a doozy of a problem... tldr; recent update screwed the pooch. Only get black screen or black screen with spinning dots or screen with a flashing __ or sometimes a Y __. Currently unable to actually log into my computer to update or fix anything...
  8. Prolonged Spinning wheel on blank and black screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Prolonged Spinning wheel on blank and black screen: Hi Microsoft, I am experiencing the following problem: The windows fails to restart as expected. It gets stuck on a black and blank screen where only a dotted spinning wheel is seen at the bottom. This appears next to the default ALIENWARE boot screen that loads after...
  9. Windows 10 stuck at spinning wheel.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 stuck at spinning wheel.: Hi. Today i wanted to update my AMD GRAPHIC CARD but i got an error,so i made a clean uninstall using amd cleanup utility.I restarted my computer and went to windows update to update the driver.Besides the amd update there was another windows update.After download it said...
  10. Windows 10 spinning ferris wheel

Windows 10 spinning ferris wheel: Installed Windows 10 and seemed to be a good install as OS worked immediately after installed. Shut down and now all I get is a blue screen and those little balls that spin. 25190

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 black screen spinning wheel

2. bootlog_not_loaded @cpu.inf %intelppm.devicedesc%;intel processor

3. @cpu.inf %intelppm.devicedesc%;intel processor windows10

4. bootlog_not_loaded @msports.inf %*pnp0501.devicedesc%;communications port,
  5. bootlog_not_loaded @cpu.inf,
  6. hp norton disappeared then black circle came up