Windows 10: Windows 10 Custom Cursor Animation Bug

Discus and support Windows 10 Custom Cursor Animation Bug in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I develop custom animated cursors as a part of my hobby as a graphic designer. They were all working fine 'till version 1809 update came in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/blueguy078, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Custom Cursor Animation Bug

Hi, I develop custom animated cursors as a part of my hobby as a graphic designer. They were all working fine 'till version 1809 update came in November 2018. Up until now, the bug is still persistent with the latest Windows version; 1909.

Back before 1809, the animation on each cursor state will start from the 1st frame up to the end of the animation and then loop, just like it should be. The update came and it broked the way the system handles .ani files. Now every time I switch from one state to another (i.e link select > busy) Windows will always pause the animation on the previous cursor state and will then resume every time I go back to that state, from the last played frame. As opposed to starting from frame 1 again. This results in an ugly animation transition when switching states, and also "freezing" for some of my cursors with a pause at the end of each frame.

Notes:

- I'm running on Windows 10 Pro, version 1909.

- No cursor overlay/3rd party software is being used to apply the custom cursor.

- RealWorld cursor editor were used to compress the frames to .ani and then installed through mouse properties settings. (I have tried different cursor editor too, same result)

- All the cursor states are animated (.ani) including the Normal Select.

- I have tried updating the mouse and display drivers, creating a new account, running troubleshoot, and trying on different computers (all are updated), still nothing.

- I'm aware of the workaround of changing the normal select to a static version (.cur). But its more than a year now :|

Can anyone help me with this? I have posted this too on Microsoft site and is hoping to find answers here too.

submitted by /u/blueguy078
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/blueguy078, Feb 27, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Cursor animations sometimes working.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I see that you are using a Custom mouse cursor. Ideally, the animation of the cursor depends on the action that you are performing using the mouse. You can try removing the cursor, re-add it and check if the animations work fine. Please follow the
    steps mentioned below to remove the cursor:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type control and click on
      OK
    3. Select Large icons from the drop down for
      view by.
    4. Click on Mouse, and click on
      Pointers
      tab.
    5. Select the cursor from the drop down menu that you have installed and click on
      Delete.
    6. If you receive any prompt, click on OK.
    7. Once the cursor is deleted, install it again and check.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to get in touch with the cursor developer team to help you further with the issue.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 27, 2020
  3. Custom cursor animated effects trail

Mouse cursor animated effects trail

• Start "Mouse"

Windows 10 Custom Cursor Animation Bug G7Ftf.png

• Select "Pointer Options"
    • Enable "Display pointer trails"
    • Press "OK"

Windows 10 Custom Cursor Animation Bug kVDWx.png

I'm looking for a way to customize this effect with different animations

You could consider CursorFX from Stardock:

Disclaimer

I am not affiliated with Stardock in any way, I am just an end user of their software.

DavidPostill, Feb 27, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Custom Cursor Animation Bug

Animated cursor no longer works.

Hello Andrew,

As you are facing issues with accessing the animated cursor on Windows 10, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know if you have made any changes to the operating system other than installing the editor program?

Try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run SFC scan to check if there are any animation files corrupted/ missing.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. If a
    Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Step 2: I recommend you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Custom Cursor Animation Bug

1. Windows 10 Custom Cursor Animation Bug - Similar Threads - Custom Cursor Animation

2. custom cursor animation NOT WORKING

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    custom cursor animation NOT WORKING: Problem described in detail in this post. TLDR; For last few large updates windows 10 is handling the .ani files for cursors differently resulting in frozen animation. Best possible solution found in this post. TLDR; only way to fix this is to use a static version which I am...
  3. Windows 10 Custom Boot Animation With Sound

Windows 10 Custom Boot Animation With Sound: Hello everyone! I was just sitting in my room while thinking about the good old days of Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP, and what brought me to ask my question here... Windows Vista! Remember the boot animation for Windows Vista where the boot animation actually had sound...
  4. Animated Inverted Cursors

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Animated Inverted Cursors: Can anyone recommend a good source for animated inverted cursors? 160978
  5. Changing windows boot animation to custom animation

Changing windows boot animation to custom animation: [ATTACH] So I'm trying to change my windows boot animation to my own gif file, and I found a boot updater but that was for windows 7. I will attach the gif files so you guys can check it out Sam.T Thanks https://i.redd.it/8dr289e3kv951.gif submitted by...
  6. Custom Cursors Animation Bug

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom Cursors Animation Bug: I have developed a number of custom animated cursors as a part of my hobby as a graphic designer. They were all working fine 'till version 1809 update came inNovember 2018. Up until now, the bug is still persistent with the latest Windows version; 1909. Back before 1809,...
  7. Cursor Customization

Cursor Customization: I downloaded a custom cursor pack and have the folder of these in my download folder. Whenever I restart my laptop, however, the cursor resets to the default options. When I open the cursor dialogue box, it still has my custom cursors and selecting ok puts them back on. Is...
  8. Animated Mouse Cursors in Windows 10

Animated Mouse Cursors in Windows 10: I've been working on making some of my own very nice looking if i might add, mouse cursors for windows 10, however i am experiencing a TON of issues with assigning the .ani files for each state, but also my animations stop every once and while and then start and then stop and...
  9. Animated cursor glitching

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Animated cursor glitching: Hello everyone this is my first post here. I have been using an animated cursor called Night Diamond for over a year. No problems. Then Windows 10 version 1809 came, and my cursor is now works like a png image, sometimes it shows signs of trying to show animations, but it...
  10. Custom Cursors

Custom Cursors: [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] Information Thread related to self-made / custom cursors (mouse pointers). Following @Cliff S hint on moving my cursor thread from EightForums. New cursors may follow. Newer cursor...