Windows 10: Windows 10 - Custom WIM Image - Deployment via USB Storage

Discus and support Windows 10 - Custom WIM Image - Deployment via USB Storage in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I've built a Windows 10 image from scratch on a laptop (HP), the model is used widely within the company I work for. We currently use a WDS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dbreet, Feb 8, 2019.

1. dbreet Win User

Windows 10 - Custom WIM Image - Deployment via USB Storage

Hi,

I've built a Windows 10 image from scratch on a laptop (HP), the model is used widely within the company I work for.

We currently use a WDS server setup to install the image upon the relevant hardware platforms.
    However, network speeds and restrictions (no internet connectivity) prove to be an issue sometimes, which has asked the question as to deploying the image via USB stick/HDD.

Could anyone point me in the right direction as to how to format install some form of pre-boot environment onto a large 32GB USB drive, on which I can store 2 WIM images, which can be selected from some form of boot menu, similar to the interface seen on WDS deployments?

Thanks.

:)

dbreet, Feb 8, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Customised Windows 10 deployment on multiple desktops and laptops.

OK, after giving this a thought and thinking how I would do it, here's my suggestion. Please notice that, as I said, this is how I would do it. Other geeks might disagree with parts or all of it.

I tested this scenario using one Hyper-V VM as technician machine (the one to build image) and three virtual machines to test simultaneous deployment in two scenarios:
    • Capturing install.wim from technician machine and using DISM to apply / deploy image from a network share
    • Capturing install.wim from technician machine, making ISO from it, deploying by clean installing from ISO burned to Flash drive
    Based on the fact that ISO method is clearly faster and simpler, it is what I suggest to you. I estimate you would need an hour and half to two hours to customize install image, capture it and make an ISO, then assuming you would make 5 Flash drives for install / deployment you would need about half an hour per five machines, in other words you would deploy to those 25 new machines in less than three hours, almost a full working day to deploy those 50 existing ones.

Two working days, day 1 to make the image and deploy to new machines, day 2 to deploy to old ones.

Chronological workflow based on my suggestion:

Phase 1, Image customization tutorial, parts One through Six:
    • Install Windows 10 on a technician machine (I recommend Hyper-V VM but any capable PC is OK)
    • Boot to Audit Mode
    • Update Windows, install software, customize & personalize Windows
    • Sysprep
    Phase 2:
    • Capture the install.wim from technician machine as told in this tutorial, Part Four steps 4.1 through 4.5 (physical PC as technician machine) or Part Four steps 4.6 through 4.13 (Hyper-V VM as technician machine)
    • Create ISO as told in same tutorial, Part Five
    • Burn / write ISO to as many Flash drives as you want to / need to for simultaneous installs
    • Boot production machines from Flash drive, install Windows 10
    The above is how I would do this. If you choose the DISM method instead, applying install.wim from a network share, see this Microsoft support article: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../hh824910.aspx

For more advanced deployment using MDT see this article: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../dn475741.aspx

Kari, Feb 8, 2019
  3. nomen Win User
    Windows 10 Deployment by WIM image

Background: A long time ago, I followed a guide to create a Windows 7 disk image. The image has all the software my users need pre-installed. I put the WIM image on a USB drive, and, together with imagex.exe, I am able to install the image on new machines in about 15 minutes. There's still a little bit of setup to do to get all the right drivers installed, but the whole process takes about half an hour for most machines.

My question: I am looking to create a similar disk image for Windows 10, but I am unable to find a definitive guide for my scenario/use case. My understanding is that because of the Windows App store, deploying Windows 10 is substantially different from Windows 7.

What are my options?

nomen, Feb 8, 2019
  4. Windows 10 - Custom WIM Image - Deployment via USB Storage

Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Feb 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 - Custom WIM Image - Deployment via USB Storage

1. Windows 10 - Custom WIM Image - Deployment via USB Storage - Similar Threads - Custom WIM Image

2. How can I deploy multiple .wim images using Windows Deployment Services?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I deploy multiple .wim images using Windows Deployment Services?: We use WDS to deploy images to our systems. We need to be able to deploy two images, an OS image and a data image, across our domain. Can WDS do this? If so, how? If not, what other options are there?...
  3. How can I deploy multiple .wim images using Windows Deployment Services?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I deploy multiple .wim images using Windows Deployment Services?: We use WDS to deploy images to our systems. We need to be able to deploy two images across our domain. Can WDS do this? If so, how? If not, what other options are there?...
  4. How can I deploy multiple .wim images using Windows Deployment Services?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I deploy multiple .wim images using Windows Deployment Services?: We use WDS to deploy images to our systems. We need to be able to deploy two images across our domain. Can WDS do this? If so, how? If not, what other options are there?...
  5. "Fooling" SSD's with little storage into accepting updates to Win. 10 via USB ESD WIM files...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Fooling" SSD's with little storage into accepting updates to Win. 10 via USB ESD WIM files...: I wasn’t able to download cumulative updates and had about 4gb of space on my SSD; after lengthy procedures I got on to Microsoft Tier 3 and we downloaded what I think is called an ISO; it's titled ESD-USB a WIM file is yet another name apparently: I was initially told that...
  6. "Fooling" SSD's with little storage into accepting updates to Win. 10 via USB ESD WIM files...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Fooling" SSD's with little storage into accepting updates to Win. 10 via USB ESD WIM files...: I wasn’t able to download cumulative updates and had about 4gb of space on my SSD; after lengthy procedures I got on to Microsoft Tier 3 and we downloaded what I think is called an ISO; it's titled ESD-USB a WIM file is yet another name apparently: I was initially told that...
  7. "Fooling" SSD's with little storage into accepting updates to Win. 10 via USB ESD WIM files...

8. Imported folder into imaging WIM via dism, during image deployment, deployment acts like...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Imported folder into imaging WIM via dism, during image deployment, deployment acts like...: I had to add a folder to my imaging WIM file and used DISM to mount the WIM. I was able to mount the WIM and add the folder.When I unmount and save changes. Insert the WIM into my MDT > task sequence the deployment kicks off and completes but it does not recognize the...
  9. Can I deploy custom Windows 10 Home image on multiple devices?

Can I deploy custom Windows 10 Home image on multiple devices?: First, all of my devices have licensed and activated on each device. I also have Office 365 which includes multiple accounts I can assign. I’m not attempting to sidestep payment or steal licenses, etc. The problem is I have the curse of perfectionism and I want all...
  10. imagex and windows 10 .wim image

imagex and windows 10 .wim image: Any one had success in capturing\applying a wim image using a USB pen and imagex. I had numerous success's with windows 7 but have had loads of problems with 10. It will sysprep OK but when capturing throws out loads of exceptions, the original unit will wake up but if I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. loading a windows 10 wim image from a usb stick

2. customize inatall.wim

3. windows 10 custom image usb