Windows 10: Windows 10 deactivated on new cloned SSD

Discus and support Windows 10 deactivated on new cloned SSD in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello. I recently upgraded my PC by cloning my old SSD to a newer one. Everything went well except now my Windows 10 is no longer activated at least... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Antrotan, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Antrotan Win User

Windows 10 deactivated on new cloned SSD

Hello. I recently upgraded my PC by cloning my old SSD to a newer one. Everything went well except now my Windows 10 is no

longer activated at least not on the new drive. I have a Microsoft account that I created awhile back and the PC was added as a device which I can see

I read where you can reactivate windows using the account, but it would seem this only works if it's linked to a digital license...is that true?

Because my windows was activated using 'your organization's product key'

Is there any way I can reactivate windows on the new drive? Tried troubleshoot, entering my product key without success.

My Windows 10 Pro 1909 OS 18363.535 has been activated and upgraded for years without issues.

Thanks for any help.

:)

Antrotan, Jan 26, 2020
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Jan 26, 2020
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Jan 26, 2020
  4. Windows 10 deactivated on new cloned SSD

Clone HDD to a SSD

I'm planing to upgrade my new laptop HDD to SSD while using my HDD as a storage media on my laptop. My laptop came with windows 10 Home OEM. If I cloned the HDD will the windows be activated after I
    cloned or will it be deactivated?? And what happend to other activated softwares like MS Office and Antivirus Softwares???

Thank you for your support.

Kasun Anuradha, Jan 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 deactivated on new cloned SSD

1. Windows 10 deactivated on new cloned SSD - Similar Threads - deactivated cloned SSD

2. Cloning an OS to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning an OS to a new SSD: Hi there! I bought a tower from a friends company but had to buy a new SSD that did have an OS installed onto it. I was wondering how I can go about cloning my current OS from my laptop onto the new SSD so I can use the tower. I have found numerous videos showing how to clone...
  3. Cloning an OS to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning an OS to a new SSD: Hi there! I bought a tower from a friends company but had to buy a new SSD that did have an OS installed onto it. I was wondering how I can go about cloning my current OS from my laptop onto the new SSD so I can use the tower. I have found numerous videos showing how to clone...
  4. Cloning an OS to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Problems installing / cloning windows 10 to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems installing / cloning windows 10 to a new SSD: I recently bought a new external portable USB SSD to replace an ageing and failing HDD. Stuck for cash i just bought the one that was lowest price tag. I have been struggling to either a) install a fresh copy of windows 10 on it or b) clone my current operating system from...
  6. Windows 10 Pro Will Not Install on New SSD Not a Clone

Windows 10 Pro Will Not Install on New SSD Not a Clone: My old Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250GB was running out of space, even though I only use it for software while a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB is used for files. I bought a Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB and replaced the old one. NOTE: I did NOT clone the drive as I a didn't know I could/had...
  7. Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD: Hi, My old SSD (with windows 10 installed) is not big enough, so I bought a new one, Samsung 970 EVO with NVMe. After cloning my old SSD to the new one using Clonezilla and replacing the SSD, I was not able to boot to Windows. I selected the Windows Boot Manager in the BIOS...
  8. Unable to clone new ssd

Unable to clone new ssd: Had Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my desktop. Took the free upgrade to Windows 10 from Microsoft. Somehow part of Windows 10 got installed on my F: drive which is a secondary HDD on my computer. I've just installed a new SSD drive and wanted to clone my current C: drive to...
  9. Deactivate Windows for use on new SSD?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Deactivate Windows for use on new SSD?: Hello, I got a new laptop, but it only has a 128GB SSD, so I'm going to switch it with a 1TB SSD. Is there any way to move Windows 10, pre-installed on the laptop, over to the new SSD? I'll never use the old SSD again....
  10. Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD: If I clone my old upgraded windows 10 SSD to a new SSD and do a clean install on the new SSD. Would the new cloned SSD be activated? 9609